Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pj20ten

What's the difference in Home Depot Subway Tile v. "Tile Shop" tile

Mark D
7 years ago

Afternoon all, we are doing White beveled subway tile in our kitchen and the Tile Shop here locally doesn't have it in stock for 2+ weeks. I was told to grab it at a local home depot. Is there any difference in quality for your standard subway tile? THANKS!

Comments (15)

• chiflipper
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Have your installer check the HD tile for quality. Your installer should always "approve" any tile before you "fall in love". Most tile shops refuse to carry junk...not so with HD.

Junk is tile that's not consistent in color / thickness / size. (This does not apply to "hand made tiles".)

• PRO
    Premier Designs
    7 years ago

The HD's in this area carry subway tile made by a very reputable major manufacturer, a good tile contractor should be able to guide you ..

• Carol Johnson
    7 years ago
    Watch for single die lots! That seems to be one of the big issues in box store products.
  • Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

perhaps check out other tile shops. we were able to get crackle glazed subway tile in 3 days... larger tile stores may do more frequent pick ups from tile distribution centers.

• PRO
  • User
    7 years ago

Beveled will be a special order almost everywhere. Standard flat is readily available almost everywhere. The whites can be subtly off, as well as the tiles not flat or square.

• ycity
    7 years ago
    Home Depot may not have the beveled and the edges you need. Also make sure you are happy with the color- and if using white, not all white is the same! Our local Home Depot uses reputable tile manufactures too!
  • PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    7 years ago

Home Depot and Tile Shop carry the same quality of wall tile. Purchase the amount you need plus 10% for waste, rounded up to nearest box. It's better to have more than you need than not enough, no fuss with mixed dye lots.

• njohs
    7 years ago

We used beveled subway tile in our bathroom remodel that was installed in a brick pattern. We have two sides of the shower with exposed edges that required the side of the tile to be finished. I realized that we would have to cut the beveled tile in half at the end. Websites suggested we cut the tile and have the cut edge against the field tile with the finished side out. The problem with this is that you have the raised center next to the thinner edge of the field tile. Thus, the search was on for a beveled subway tile that had 3x3 beveled pieces so we didn't have cut edges. We ended up using ADEX Nero tiles because they have a ton of finish pieces, including a beveled 3x3 square. They were available in the Chicago area through Virginia Tile and online at several sites. We found the quality to be excellent and all the tiles were consistent. I don't know if this is an issue for you but thought I would bring it up because it did not initially occur to me that there would be that issue.

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    6 years ago

As long as its Dal tile....they are good. Most Home Depots carry their subway tile.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    6 years ago

Interceramic carries a beveled 3x6 and has trim that is 3x6 and 3x3 (both beveled) with finished sides. I don't order beveled tile from any other distributor.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    6 years ago

@ Jill B. You may want to check out this DAL Tile / Home depot Houzz discussion.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/shower-wall-tile-lippage-done-an-redone-and-still-problems-advice-dsvw-vd~5218878

• SHarper
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

@CreativeTileEasternCT I appreciate your knowledge for working with beveled subway tile! Thought you might have an answer - if using beveled subway for backsplash behind a cooktop should there be special consideration if wanting a pot filler installed?

• PRO
    Premier Designs
    5 months ago

I'd imagine the rough in will be next to a stud for support, make sure your contractor uses mortar, and not mastic, other than that you're good.