Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megmdp

pairing paint color for railing and walls in north facing hallway

megmdp
7 years ago

I've recently redone my kitchen and the walls are BM dover white (leans yellow) and the cabinets are light gray. We are very happy with our choices! But now, of course, the bright new kitchen has made our hallway, painted in BM Pale Lichen, look dingy.

We have a garrison colonial with a center entrance. When you come in the front door, you go straight to the kitchen, and the LR and FR are to the right and left of you, and stairs on the right. The LR and BR are both painted in BM Bradstreet Beige, which we are happy with. The front door faces north, the hallway has light from the sidelights of the door, and some light from big windows in the LR and FR, which are in line with the front door.

So, I'm thinking of painting the hallway (first floor, up the stairs, and down the hall upstairs) in BM Pale Oak.. I've swatched it and think it will be the light, fresh look I'm striving for and look good with our white trim, and in between the colors of the kitchen, LR, and FR. Now, here's my question:

What dark color should I use for the top of the stair railing, and the post at the bottom? Right now everything--spindles & railing--is white. I really want to go dark with the railing and post. The hardware on our door and hall closet is oil rubbed bronze. I was thinking SW Urbane Bronze? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (5)