Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smhinnb

Stocking Stuffers

smhinnb
7 years ago

Beyond the usual toiletries, socks, etc. - anyone have any great, fun ideas for stocking stuffers? For hubby and my mom - this will be the first year in a long time I've done stockings! I'll get things like nail polish & lip balm for my mom, a flashlight & little gadgets for hubby.... what other 'outside the box' kind of ideas are out there??

Comments (48)

• LucyStar1
    7 years ago

Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks gift card, small box of gourmet tea, pair of cashmere socks, mini bottle of liqueur, bar of fancy soap, candy, nuts.

Restoration Hardware has a good selection of stocking stuffers:

Stocking Stuffers

smhinnb thanked LucyStar1
  • joaniepoanie
    7 years ago

Container Store also has a lot of neat little items.

• bpath
    7 years ago

Little lens cloths, i like the idea of little liqueurs, puzzles, new pens, candy.

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

Scratch off lottery tickets!

• dedtired
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago
  • jellytoast
    7 years ago

I LOVE my rocker garlic press!! (ordered from Sur la Table)

• User
    7 years ago

those rocker garlic presses are adorable! and I will second the car wash coupons.

• beaglesdoitbetter
    7 years ago

Any tea drinkers? I think this is a cute gift: http://www.artoftea.com/teaware/accessories-gear/perfect-tea-timer.html?gclid=CjwKEAiApLDBBRC8oICb9NvKsg0SJAD9yOHsVvJ3Qjx_6P_Nnqsc6lEdPd1lUfE5LSEXC2jEYISmoBoC6drw_wcB

Backup USB battery charger. I use mine a lot when I am going to be out somewhere for a long time and don't want to take a chance of phone running out of battery. This isn't the particular one I have, but just an example.

smhinnb thanked beaglesdoitbetter
  • chickadee2_gw
    7 years ago

I'm getting these. Target and Walmart are supposed to carry them too.

https://www.amazon.com/Colgate-Portable-Mini-Brush-Fresh-Peppermint/dp/B00HXAIN90?th=1#customerReviews

smhinnb thanked chickadee2_gw
  • ratherbesewing
    7 years ago

Sephora also has stocking stuffers.

• smhinnb
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks so much - some great ideas. I'll definitely get the car wash coupons, and you made me think of puzzle books that I know my mom likes. Also those portable toothbrushes are an EXCELLENT idea - my husband travels a lot for work and I know he'd love those!!

• Faron79
    7 years ago

Ferrari keys.....?!?!

;-)

• dedtired
    7 years ago

Here's another idea. I think these are a riot. You put the glasses on and look at the lights on your tree. They make each light look like a Santa or Reindeer or snowflake. Cheap and entertaining. Holiday glasses

smhinnb thanked dedtired
  • roxanna
    7 years ago

dedtired, thanks for this idea!! Just ordered a set of 22 from Amazon and can't wait for all the grandkids to use them. What fun! =)

• maddielee
    7 years ago

Thank you all. I have just gotten some of my shopping done.. 3D glasses for the little kids and Hair drying towels for some of the girls. Thanks.

• Kippy
    7 years ago

I think HD has the 3D glasses too

I love the idea of kitchen gadget from Sur La Table or World Market

• arcy_gw
    7 years ago

My three "kids" are in their 20's no one married. On Christmas morning we eat breakfast and unload stockings..I always put in an ornament, and some sort of puzzel/craft to do as we eat. Last year I got mini lego toys that are in sinc with their favorite animals. One year I found felt 3D something somethings. Somethings are just for fun, just for that moment.

• hhireno
    7 years ago

I was just at a Barnes & Noble. For $7.95, they had a carabiner style clip that had two small screwdrivers heads and a bottle opener. It could easily hook to a key chain or purse/backpack strap.

• deegw
    7 years ago

Our family, (dh and I, elderly grandparents and college kids) open these surprise balls after Christmas eve dinner. They would be a good stocking stuffer too.

The contents are silly but we had a lot of fun unwrapping the yards and yards of crepe paper and discovering our treats. They are a little pricey for what you get but I think the company has a good black Friday sale.

Surprise balls

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I was going to suggest Surprize balls, too! I think I've mentioned them here in previous years. When I was a child, I always got one in my stocking. Then, about 15 years ago, I found them again (after a 45 year lapse). I give them to kids of all ages (over about 3 or 4) and everyone loves them. I buy different styles because the prizes in one style are usually the same or very similar.

• hhireno
    7 years ago

Not a stocking stuffer but...

The surprise balls reminded me, my sister does a pass the parcel game at birthday parties but it could be adapted to an Xmas gift-activity. A small gift is wrapped multiple times and between each layer a piece of candy is placed. The package is passed along to music, and like musical chairs, when the music stops the person holding the gift unwraps one layer and gets the candy. This is repeated until you get to the final gift.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

My boys are 30 and 25 and don't like getting little cluttery things they won't use or will stuff in a drawer. I also can't get away with a bunch of cheap stuff as they would rather have less but quality.

My stocking stuffer list

2under joey pouch brief

Quality v neck undershirt not too thick or thin see-through

Quality tie for interview

Tie clip

Quality hair products

Nuts, dried fruits, or crispy dried veggie snacks from Whole Foods

Movie tickets

Lottery tickets

• User
    7 years ago

My older sister and daughter can both be pretty goofy, my sister especially loves silly stuff so I always try to include a couple of sillies in her package. This year I found a lot of fun stocking stuffers at The Container Store and couldn't resist these:

A silicone Rack pull Monster for the oven (I hate using pot holder so had to get one for myself too) and Tongue Ties. Not for everyone I know, but they still crack me up...

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Those tongue ties are cute Lukk!

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    7 years ago

Stamps for people that would use them!

• User
    7 years ago

They're pretty clever. I couldn't resist. ha!

• eld6161
    7 years ago

Maddie, what are the hair drying towels?

• localeater
    7 years ago

Piperoid kits are very fun.

A long handled shoe horn is something you may not know you need, but once you have one you will love it. I was gifted one several years ago, it hangs on a hook by the shoe basket and the door. My kids do not understand why all their friends dont have one. I often get calls from their friend's mom/dad saying what is my kid talking about. I think they love it because it facilitates putting on shoes that you havent unlaced.

I saw these bag caps the other day and I thought they looked very cool.

• josephene_gw
    7 years ago

My sons found a chunk of fools gold in there stocking one year.

they loved it.

• loonlakelaborcamp
    7 years ago

My hubby and I exchange stocking stuff every year. we try to name a "theme" and surprise each other every year. One year was chrome and a cord. He got Oster neck massager and I got stick blender. The next year we agreed on "bad" gifts. He got me a bundle of romance novels (all with the word "bad in them" and he gother a lump of "coal". It was 3 cds wrapped up in crinkled up black tissue paper-Nate King Cole, Cole Porter, and a Coltrane CD! He was thrilled.

Finding/giving according to a theme is Fun!

• maggiepatty
    7 years ago

One year I found tiny electronic piano keyboards the size and shape of a credit card (at the Dollar Store, no less!) and they were without a doubt the hit of the season. I have been searching for them ever since to no avail as my youngest 2 have no memory of that holiday. I wish someone would fill my stocking with carwash coupons!

• maddielee
    7 years ago

eld6161, the towels Outsideplaying mentioned on the under $20.00 thread.

Aquis is the maker. Good Morning America had them as a deal yesterday, $9.00 instead of $18.00. I ordered 6.

• User
    7 years ago

those tongue ties are adorable. I tried looking for them but don't quite get them. can you share a link to them? (the ones that come up are not special)

• maire_cate
    7 years ago

Here's the link - it's from the Container Store. However they're on backorder until Jan

http://www.containerstore.com/s/watchers-bag-ties/d?productId=11002041&q=tongue%20ties

• User
    7 years ago

Sheilaaus, I think I paid 3.99 at our store for them and the site says they currently have 23 in stock. If you don't have a store near by, I would be happy to pick some up and send them to you.

• User
    7 years ago

thank you maire and lukki--- dont know why I couldnt find them. That is most kind of you lukkIrish but I see they are in stock at a few stores I could get to. Totes adorbz!!

• smhinnb
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I thought of something yesterday that I got for both my mom & my husband.... one of those "Instant Shine" shoe-shiner sponges. Not exciting but will definitely get used. I also got my husband stuff to clean his car - wax, interior detailing spray, etc.

• smhinnb
    Original Author
    7 years ago

...and I thought of a couple of other good ideas too, while I was busy doing something. Now for the life of me I can't remember what they were. I have to learn to write stuff down as soon as I think of it..... grr.

• hhireno
    7 years ago

I think you're heading into loonlakelaborcamp's idea of a theme stocking. Instead of fun, your husband's theme is "shiny".

smhinnb thanked hhireno
  • User
    7 years ago

That's great, I love that store!

I forgot to mention I bought one of these for my DD and she loves it because it's like those sacks that fold up into a small pouch. Great for traveling. We got this print for her but there's a variety to choose from

http://www.containerstore.com/s/pedal-power-stash-it-backpack/d?productId=11003283&q=Backpacks

• chickadee2_gw
    7 years ago

I bought this reindeer photo frame, and it's really cute. It has a nice weight to it and doesn't look cheap. You can always change the ribbon.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/silver-reindeer-photo-frame-ornament-with-2016-charm/s134640

• lizbeth-gardener
    7 years ago

Chickadee: Like that ornament/frame. Does it feel too heavy to hang nicely on a Christmas tree?

• localeater
    7 years ago

Oh do precious! I just got these matchbox nativities http://www.tenthousandvillages.com/nativities/2e6285df493cedf50353fc9295ea5b15?

• eld6161
    7 years ago

Keep these ideas coming! So far I bought Ded's suggestion of the 3D glasses and d_gw"s surprise balls from Esty.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz