Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elsa2016

Grow AV in water

Elsa
7 years ago

Has anybody right here try growing AV hydroponic? I read some comment. It said the AV will flower but it grow slower. If it works, then at least it can eliminate pest that related to soil.

Comments (9)

• irina_co
    7 years ago

In water... it is NOT an aquatic plant. You can root it in water - but it is kind of suspended animation. It will live but not prosper.

You can grow it semi-hydroponicaly - in hydroton or leca stones. Works pretty well - but it is not eliminating any pests. If you get root mealy bugs - they propagate and infest plants easily in s/h environment. The same is probably true about root rot or bacterial infection. The media is not sterile

• Rosie1949
    7 years ago

I think the closest you will get to growing in water would be a wick system. But growing in pure water,,,,,I am not so sure. A Hoya is not an aquatic plant but I stuck a bunch of cuttings in a vase with nothing but water and it not only rooted, but grew rampant and bloomed! That was not supposed to happen as they are succulent.

But anything is worth a try if you want to experiment. If you do, good luck to you and let us know what happens! Rosie

• Misstee
    7 years ago

I was at a hydroponics store that was growing several huge purple african violets in water as well as the usual vegetables. I could not see the roots, so I don't know what soil-less medium they were using , but it was thriving.

• Rosie1949
    7 years ago

Misstee I would have definitely asked ! If for no other reason than abject curiosity !!!!! Now you have me wondering about this method ! Thanks !!! Rosie

• Misstee
    7 years ago

I remember just lights and flowing water. I did find this. http://www.hydro-orchids.com/tp-AFV.html

• Rosie1949
    7 years ago

Interesting. but I am not so sure I want to grow in pebbles. I kinda like my wick system, it is convenient and I can see at a glance if the reservoir needs water. But this does interest me,,,,,thanks !!!! Rosie

• irina_co
    7 years ago

So - it is not in water - it is a hydroponics method - ebb and flow - the plant is grown in some open media - rock wool or ceramic pebbles - to stabilize it - and the feeding solution is pumped in and pumped out periodically keeping the roots fed - but letting them breath.

It is quite an investment to get this system in place - and I frankly do not think it is worth it. We are not in a MMJ or tomato production, where we need to get the maximum crop in a minimum time - and that's what hydroponic store provides for. I guess if you already have a setting for growing lets say leaf veggies for the family - you can grow some AVs as well.

It would not fly if you get to the hydroponic store and there is a big MMJ mama growing as a centerpiece...

i.

• Elsa
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I read another AV forum which is in foreign language. So I'm going to translate here what I read for your reference.

Hydroponic · More Info

1. growing in water is slower comparing in the soil.

2. fill in 1/3 water in the container.

1. don't fill water all the way up to the bottom of the plant. Leave the gap between the blue line so that the plant won't rot.

2. add very thin fertilizer per week. The person said the proportion of water to LIQUID fertilizer is 1:3000.

5. change water in the container weekly and clean it if there is alga.

1. If convert a plant which grow in the soil to water, you have to cut all the root and root the plant in water.

Elsa

• Rosie1949
    7 years ago

wow,,,,I think I don't want to go thru all that trouble. I will stick with the wick!!!! Rosie