Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdpyn2

Barefoot Contessa Lemon Cake

John 9a
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I picked some lemons yesterday and plan to make a couple of loaves of the Barefoot Contessa Lemon Cake, I hope Contessa at least wears socks since it's going to be a cool morning on the tile floors in the kitchen.

While I wait for the butter and eggs to come to room temperature, I'll post a photo of the lemons and the recipe.

Ponderosas from my seed-grown trees

Here is the recipe

INGREDIENTS

for the cake

1 1/2 sticks of butter at room temperature

2 1/2 cups granulated sugar (I like Zulka)

4 extra-large eggs at room temperature

1/3 cup grated lemon zest

3 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice

3/4 cup buttermilk at room temp

1 tsp vanilla extract

for the glaze (optional)

2 cups confectioners sugar

3 1/2 Tbs fresh squeezed lemon juice

DIRECTIONS

Make the cake

1. Preheat oven to 330F. Grease two 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 X 2 1/2 inch loaf pans.

2. Cream butter and 2 cups sugar (leaving 1/2 cup for later) in the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, for about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, and add the lemon zest.

3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for one hour, or until toothpick comes out clean.

4. Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves to make a syrup. When the cakes are done, let them cool for ten minutes, then invert them onto a rack set over a tray. Turn the cakes right-side up and spoon the lemon syrup generously over the mounded tops, allowing the syrup to dribble down the sides. Let the cakes cool completely.

Make the glaze (optional)

5. Combine the confectioners sugar and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a whisk until smooth. Pour over the top of the cakes and allow the glaze to dribble down the sides.

My Comments:

The above recipe increased the lemon juice in the cake batter by 1/4 cup from the original recipe to keep the cake moist.

I make my buttermilk by adding 1 tsp lemon juice to 3/4 cup milk and letting it curdle while the butter and eggs come to room temp.

Since there are two different glazes and since I like the tartness of the syrup that is allowed to soak into the cake, I have never done the second glaze I have marked as optional.

The loaves can be wrapped in saran wrap and frozen. When ready to eat, remove from the freezer and thaw still in the saran wrap.

Comments (26)

• andy99mich
    7 years ago

Thank you John! That sounds so delicious! I always love a fresh lemon dessert myself!

John 9a thanked andy99mich
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

Seed power really does work when the tree grows in ground. I am guessing your tree is in ground by the sight of your 20 foot step ladder top in front.

6b Steve

• John 9a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Steve, LOL!, the ladder isn't 20-foot but, yes, in the ground. The Ponderosa's native roots apparently are well-suited to my poorly drained clay soil. The soil does dry out during the summer but it's soggy during the wet season.

• John 9a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here are some photos of the cake in the making.

I used 100% whole wheat flour instead of the all-purpose called for...I increased the leavening a tad and increased the lemon juice a tad to hopefully compensate for the heavier flour. By the way, I highly recommend using two separate measuring cups for the lemon juice in the recipe! Put 1/2 cup in one for the cake and 1/2 cup in another for the lemon syrup drizzle.....same goes for the sugar.

Here are the ingredients. Oh, another modification I made in this run was to blend some satsuma orange juice I already had on hand with the lemon juice.

And the cake pans just before going into the oven for an hour. The raw batter smells so good, I promise you will want to dive in :>)

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Thanks John! I want to see the finished product!!

John 9a thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • John 9a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Finished product!

This after spooning the lemon syrup over the loaves. Don't be too shy with the lemon syrup....flip the loaves over and spoon a little over the bottoms too. It should soak into the loaf, not just be a surface sheen.

This is great with whipped cream or a dip of ice cream.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Yum!!! Too bad we are not neighbors ;-). I would have invited myself over! I will try that one next. I have to get the lemons off my Meyer tree so he can use the energy towards all the little ones he's trying to grow now.

John 9a thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
  • John 9a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LOL! I really wish I could share with my more northern friends. I can't really grow apples and cherries here so I guess it all comes out in the wash.

I also need to do the same for a little meyer I have. I traded a fig tree for it a year or two ago. It had been in a nursery pot for a long time and has this really thick trunk but only has lots of spindly branches since it was pruned back frequently. I let it grow a few lemons this year but it needs some growing time.

It's really a different topic I guess but since we are on meyers now, here it is. Think I should selectively prune off some of the lower branches next spring so the upper branches will grow more or will it just sprout more branches? It's not in the best location here under a pecan tree but I'm running out of full sun locations. Johnm may want to chime in!

• John 9a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh, Laura, if we were neighbors, I would invite myself over when your DH is playing sax....is there a concerto for sax and mandolin?

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    7 years ago

Citrus yumminess :) So cold outside here. Need to make my self hot cup of lemon tea.

• andy99mich
    7 years ago

I agree about the cold. John, those look absolutely delicious... Just thinking about that and some cold lemonade is killing me. :) I've never seen buttermilk made with lemons before, but it makes sense!

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

John, you could bring over cake, and my kids and husband would provide the entertainment. I'm their manager and marketing rep. They're going to pay for college with their iTunes and Spotify profits;-)

• John 9a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Now THAT sounds like a good plan! You already sound like a great manager but looks like the profits are going into grow lighting :>P

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

Kos If you want to grow lemons in zone 8a go to

Just Fruits and Exotics

They will groiw in 9a

• kos_toni09
    7 years ago

Thank you,but there is no way to find that variety where I live only Eurekas and meyers

• John 9a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

kos, I see ponderosa lemons in local nurseries in my area but they may not have a supplier near you. You might be able to order through an online source. Some of the folks here can guide you to their favorite online citrus source.

I covered my trees when the temps dipped into the twenties and then had to uncover them on days when the sun would be too hot under the tarps. We have nights in the twenties and the next day can be too hot for a tree under a tarp. Who knows if I HAD to cover them when they were little but it worked. Now most of my trees are too big to cover so they will live if they live.

I think folks around here grow meyers too so you should be able to grow a meyer if you cover it when it dips below freezing. I don't think it's the low temperature that counts as much as how long it stays there.

• johnmerr
    7 years ago

John,

I wouldn't prune your Meyer unless the fruit touches the ground. The fruit bends the branches down and you will get new sprouts going up. BTW that lemon cake, like lemon pound cake is soooo good, if you cut a slice and pour a little Mayancello over it....same with a dark chocolate cake; but don't confuse that with traditional limoncello.. not the same world

John 9a thanked johnmerr
  • John 9a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the non-pruning suggestion Johnmerr. It got to the state it's in because of too much pruning but it looks so "shaggy" now with all the short twigs branching out all over.

I saw your Mayancello post in the other discussion. Sure is a nice presentation for the product. Just curious, how many gallons of juice do you produce in a year? Do you compost your peels/pith to put back in your orchards or is there a mold/disease concern with that in a commercial application?

• kos_toni09
    7 years ago

Thank you John I will give it a shot.

• John 9a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Adding a "serving suggestion" photo since I recently pulled one of the cakes from the freezer.

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

How on earth did I ever miss this! I think I was really busy during the Thanksgiving holiday, plus I was knocked out of commission for a few days when a heavy wall cabinet crashed down on the side of my head. Ughh.. that hurt! Lol.. Much better now though.. :)

John, this lemon loaf cake looks so good! Thank you for the recipe. Mmm..

Just a tip: When I make citrus loaf cakes, after taking them out of the oven, let cool a bit, then I poke holes in the top with a big fork and pour the glaze over top. It seeps in pretty good.

John 9a thanked jinnylea
  • John 9a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks jenni.....it is a bit of a challenge to get the syrup to soak in to the top.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

I made the cake on Sunday. It was delicious! I had extra juice, so I just made more glaze and because I decreased the amount of powdered sugar in it, it soaked into the cake...incredible! We pretty much ate one loaf after it came out of the oven, then left the other to cool...well, my dog ate part of it...thief! I was soooo mad! Luckily she did not seem to like it enough to eat the whole thing. I cut off the chewed part and we ate the rest ;-)

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Jinny, that's what I did. Poked holes with toothpick...the runny syrup soaked right in.

• John 9a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm sure glad you and yours enjoyed the cake Laura. Sounds like your dog also has a taste for citrus :>)

That slice I had this morning with ice cream sure was good!

I'm currently cooking down what I hope will be mandarin jam. It's been cooking for about an hour and a half now and is showing some minor signs it may jell for me. It tastes bland and is only around 118F so I'm still cooking.