Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccamomof123

Help, my colors are all off and I don't want to start over.

rebeccamomof123
7 years ago

I have a family room with charcoal grey carpet and light grey walls which I had originally planned to furnish with navy couches and cream accents. However, we've relocated our chocolate leather sectional to this room from our living room, since it's in good shape and saves us from refurnishing two rooms. I'd like to make it work somehow without having to repaint or re-carpet.

Any suggestions on colors or patterns to tie in the chocolate brown leather with grey walls and rug? I ran to Home Goods today and grabbed a few accent throws/pillows as options but i'm not sure it's working for me. Don't mind the mess and the make-shift coffee table that's actually an end table. The matching coffee table still needs to be dug out of the basement. Also, the Xmas tree prevents us from being able to properly center the couch, but that's obviously temporary. And the red striped chair (with laundry in need of folding on it!) will be gone.

I was thinking a Burberry-type pattern that incorporates grey, beige and black together could help tie it together so I found the tartan throw but i'm not sure it works. I'm at a loss. Suggestions for accents, patterns, colors that could miraculously tie these contracting/clashing colors together?

The whole sitting area

Tartan pattern throw with black, grey, red & cream

For perspective of the room:

Grey carpet with brown leather (!?$%)

Animal print?

Comments (55)

• blfenton
    7 years ago

Is there any correlation between the reddy-orange in the tartan throw and the colour of the chair? I second the idea of an inexpensive area rug and to incorporate that colour as well. I wouldn't do a lot of that colour but just a touch and then you can still use your throw.

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Great feedback! Chucksmom, I will look for an area rug that incorporates both the brown and the grey.

General thoughts on the animal print or the tartan throw, or both together, or neither?

Laughable moments, thanks for the links, there are some great options there and it is reassuring to see homes with professional interior design using the grey/brown combo.

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

I think either throw would work, but you could go any direction with a brown sofa and gray walls/floor.

• User
    7 years ago

I like the idea of an area rug to help tie things together and add more interest. You could also find pillows with some gray in them.

As it is now, I think the tartan works. I liked it better when I clicked on the photos to see them larger. The gray may stand out better IRL. I definitely would keep that lovely throw though. I think pillows and/or a rug will help tie things together. If it ends up not working there hopefully you could use it elsewhere. May I ask where you got it?

I like animal print, consider it a neutral and think it's fine to add a small touch in a room. Is theregray in it? The first two photos it looks like there is and the t one it looks more brown, beige, and cream.

For now I'd work on pillow and/or a rug. It's a nice looking sectional.

• PRO
    MDLN
    7 years ago

Would do an area rug to pull the colors together. Below from Overstock. The throws/pillows are nice but not enough mass of the mixed colors.

rebeccamomof123 thanked MDLN
  • rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you!

Ok, that's the plan. Find an area rug with browns and grey and place it under the seating area. Then use pillows and throws to pull it all together. Off to source the accessories!

Sheisback, the throw is from HomeGoods. It's pure wool, made by Highland Tweeds. It was a lucky find. I plan to keep it even if it doesn't work in that space - I'll find a spot for it!

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is the rug I had under the leather couch in the other room that had blue grey walls (BM, Serenity). Should I just relocate it? You can see the Ottoman with it to see how the colors work. It definitely has greys/blues in it but the browns are cooler brown, not warm chocolate like the couch. Then I'd just go with a neutral cream, textuted throw and some cream fur pillows with light blue accent pillows in winter, linen in spring/summer. I'd have to remove all the red that is in the space, currently.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

I was going to suggest a blue accent color but didn't think you were coming back to this thread.

I think this could work! Take a pix further with the gray walls in the photo.

rebeccamomof123 thanked eld6161
  • rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok, will restage tonight with rug underneath. Stay tuned, I will want all your opinions!

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Yes to the rug. And why is the chair going? Won't you need or want other seating in the room? You could put a slipcover on it, or use it's color as your accent color and tie the accessories into it if you kept it. I'm not suggesting you do keep it but wondering what will replace it, if anything? What are your plans/thoughts on the room after Christmas?

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh that chair is going, going, gone! The arm is broken - we got 14+ good years out of it.

Once the tree is gone, the couch will be moved over more and centered properly under the two windows of the back wall. With the chair (and tree) gone, we'll have more room between the back of the couch and the brick wall, where I'm hoping to put a sofa table against the back of the sectional, or a small pub table to create a snack/game area. It's where there is a red demilune table in one of the pictures.

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

I'm not a fan of rugs over carpeting so wouldn't do it.

Instead, I'd change out your pillows to a grey that matches the carpet, and add a few grey/brown throws. I would also hang a couple of pencil sketches. Little things will bring it together nicely.

rebeccamomof123 thanked Ellie RK
  • l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Blue, brown, grey, cream and red all go together so I think you have a lot of options. I think the room looks great. I would punch it up with some curtains or shades and some art, but that is just me, YMMV. I'm a big believer in "use what you have" decorating so I'd shop the house for warm-colored items to add in with the grey and blue. Again, that is just me, but using all cool colors may make the room look a little washed out, but some folks would call that look "soothing" so again, just my .02, YMMV.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I think you said the coffee table is going, but for now, it's the one thing that is "off" in the room and my eye can't really see anything else. Is it possible to move it away and use the ottoman like you did formerly? I think then the pillows and throws would have more impact and it would look better with the rug to try. That rug looks nice with your leather in the picture where it lived before!

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

I have similar concerns for doubling up the carpet as Ellie. (I guess you could try it with the carpet that you have to make sure a carpet over carpet is going to stay put and not wrinkle up on you.)

Do you have a Pinterest account? I looked up "gray walls, brown leather couch" and found lots of good images (and I liked them a lot better than the ones I first came across on Houzz) so you might try searching there for some ideas. If you don't have an account, you can "cheat" by googling: Pinterest, "gray walls", "brown leather couch" and get the same images. ; )

You asked for feedback on the throws. I love them both and would gladly cozy up with either one and a good book. However, I'd suggest finding something with more vibrant color to stand out in the room since you already have 2 very neutral colors at work in the gray and the brown. What color feels really good to you: Red, Turquoise, royal blue, aqua, sage, deep yellow, lime green...? Any of those colors will help bring the room more to life with, you know the mantra: artwork, pillows, curtains, accessories. : )

• k9arlene
    7 years ago

I'm also not a fan of carpet on carpet. In fact, I think you can pull the room together with accessories, eliminating the need for another rug.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I'm not a fan of carpet on carpet either, but it can and does work. Have done it for years. In both cases it was way easier and cheaper than redoing the room carpet, which was not working.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    7 years ago

Surprisingly to me I don't think the cream pillows help -- I think they accentuate the warmth of the sofa against the coolness of the walls (and style wise, I don't like them with the plaid which I love, leather and brick). I do think that the current carpet is fine. Really, rather than going out to spend a lot on trying to find fixes, I would just repaint the walls to a warmer grey. Unless, of course, the colors are just not showing true for me on my monitor. But the brick is warm, the large feature (sofa) is warm, the plaid is warm, the carpet seems to work either way.

I really like your blue/brown rug too. Definitely try using that first.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    7 years ago

Personally I love chocolate brown with grey. One of my favorite go to outfits is a heather grey turtleneck with my chocolate suede jacket.

I'd try to find some grey felt or wool pillows for the couch to start.

Teal or turquoise is a good accent color.

• jo_in_tx
    7 years ago

I like the brown, gray and tan (natural textures) mixed in this photo.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Blues go very well with that mix of colors . My colors are , walls SW Krypton a blue gray , furniture is brown leather, tile is weathered gray barn wood porcelain , in the bedrooms I have a low pile tight weave gray Heather carpet . I have accessories with patterns and colors of all three . I think you need something other than solids in the pillows , not fond of the particular throws , but I do like a throw .

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago
  • just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

I like layered rugs. Make it look purposeful by adding some texture but at the same time no real dominant colors or shapes so you have more options on accessories. Normally I'm sick of this pattern but somehow this smaller scale mixed with gray and earth tones works.

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Almost cannot go wrong with such a natural color palette. Love the inspiration photos!

• Claire Buoyant
    7 years ago

Ravencajun, where did you find that first pair of pillows? I LOVE the print and would really love to find that fabric for new covers on my chair cushions.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

It was on pinterest under blue, brown and gray throw pillows.

• hamamelis
    7 years ago

After reading all this I agree some of those pictures are showing a good way, starting with the first one posted by Laughablemoments.

Let the brown in the sofa and brick and the grays become the background to an overlying accent scheme.

Most of the rooms in those pictures don't bring in patterns that try to "pull together" all colors. The whole room is the pattern and carefully distributed accents its punch of color. More grey and brown not needed, unless you wanted to use a very dark brown in small spots the way one would use black to provide contrast.

• Peppapoodle
    7 years ago

I saw this pattern at IKEA

Very organic feeling to me.

Im actually going through same thing with my DS room. He picked out dark gray coverlet in his room with pine walls/ceilings, dark brown leather sofa & tannish carpet with a red/cream/tan Persian rug. He got all our old furniture!! I have the same wool throw from HG!!I definitely think you can make this work!

• Olychick
    7 years ago

It seems the op is mia. Hasn't checked in (posted) since 12/12. Some good suggestions here; I hope she comes back.

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm here and I appreciate all the great options you've all shared!! I have taken all your advice and returned the pillows and throws and am starting over after Xmas, when I can get the tree out and stage the room with the rug and proper layout with the sofa center Ed, and no chair. I will be back with updates and photos once the holidays are over. In the meantime, I'm having fun referencing at all the great posts with pillow and rug styles! I love the blues with it!

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I promised an update and here goes. I've been kind of on a redecorating spree lately throughout the house. I surprise even myself with this one but I chose a sage/pop of green as the accent color along with black and white. I'm still waiting on a few other things to come in to finish, but could use feedback on the color choice and pillow arrangements. No need for this many pillows on the couch, so which should stay and which should go? I chalk painted an old tray for the ottoman to try and tie it all in, and added greens to the shelving behind the couch for a few natural pops if green there too. The brick wall will stay as is, I just have a mirror leaning against it temporarily. Lastly, I ordered a beautiful reclaimed wood table to go against the back of the sofa, it's 6 feet long and 20 inches wide, to act as a counter with stools for the kids to have snacks and food at in the room. Will update once that's in place.

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And here is the surface of the reclaimed chestnut table I ordered. Can't wait for it to come in. I hope it looks as good as I think it will with the natural brick behind it. Oh, and I decided against using the other rug to layer with. I was lucky enough to sell it on a Facebook yard sale for almost what I paid for it!

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I love the color combo you hit upon. I'm not a big fan of lots of sofa pillows, but you've got such a great selection and balance that I can't picture it with any of them gone. Sorry, I am no help, right? Okay, maybe try it with one of the big ones and one buffalo check gone.

And that IS a gorgeous table.

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Olychick. So just the middle two pillows gone?

• jesshs
    7 years ago

I would take away the two cream ones with black lattice type design on them. The other two pillows are black and white and the cream is a little off to me.

• JustDoIt
    7 years ago

Very nice combo. I would remove the two single pillows.

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Okay, so that's another vote to nix the cream lattice ones. Thanks, Finally home!

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

Very nice! The green really pulls it together and gives it life.

I love the table. Could you share where you ordered it?

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nosoccermom, I try to shop family-owned and local whenever possible. The table was purchased at a local New England furniture store called Circle Furniture. The table is 100 yr reclaimed chestnut from Vermont. I believe the manufacturer produces furniture and taps maple trees for syrup. Fun, huh? Here is the link. We went with painted black apron and legs: http://www.circlefurniture.com/products/dining/dining-tables/recalimed-dining

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update! My table is in, my room is complete (almost)! I really like how it all came out. What do you think?

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

It's perfect!

• Olychick
    7 years ago

Beautiful! So glad you checked back in to show us!

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

Love it! : )

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks ladies, you were all great bearing with me through all my indecisiveness!

• indygo
    7 years ago

Wow! I love that color palette. Good job!

• JustDoIt
    7 years ago

Love it. I've got a brown sofa and I think I will add some green for the summer. They do say imitation is the best form of flattery!

• rebeccamomof123
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank! Go for it, FinallyHome! And be sure to share pictures with us.

• Mary E
    7 years ago

Wow, it's beautiful! I love the colors. The table is amazing! You have such a keen eye for decorating!

rebeccamomof123 thanked Mary E