Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gowerclem

Need ideas for small bathroom

gowerclem
7 years ago

We have a full bath downstairs right outside my son's room. Right now it has a pedestal sink and lots of storage in a huge cabinet over the toilet. I would love to replace the pedestal sink with something that has storage for at least the items that are used every day. We will be redoing to upstairs bathrooms likely with Barker cabinets and I have been toying with the idea of getting some for this bathroom. However, I am can't decide if this will just make the bathroom too crowded.

Here is the basic layout. The pedestal sink is 17" deep by 21" wide and 6.5" from the wall and isn't pictured on the drawing.

There are two possible cabinet configurations I am considering.

Option 1: from door wall towards bath tub - 18" deep, total length of 33.75"

2" filler

9" 3 drawer stack

22" 2 door cabinet sink

End panel

Option 2: from door wall towards bath tub

2" filler - 18" deep

24" 2 door cabinet sink - 18" deep

2" filler or end panel 15 or 18" deep

30" 3 drawer base cabinet - 15" deep

2" filler

The goal of option 1 is to minimize over all foot print. The goal of option 2 is take up all of the wall. Below are pictures of the bathroom. I would love any feedback you all have!

Here are some pictures.

Comments (8)

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'd fill the wall with the vanity and center the sink so you could use side sconces for the best task lighting. You could install the sconces right through the mirror, reflecting the light and brightening the room. 9" drawers are too small--ask Chad at Barker for inside dimensions. You'll be shocked. 30" drawers are a bit big. I have a vanity drawn for my remodel with 28" for the sink base and 16" for both drawer stacks. The 16" is big enough to hold towels.

If you don't need that much vanity, I'd do a 36", which will give you enough room to clean the floor on both sides. That'd be pretty with your lovely base molding and floor tile.

• gowerclem
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Karenseb for the input. Are you saying you would get rid of the cabinet over the toilet? I am looking at using the Kohler Laden Vitrous sink which is 18.375" wide by 12" deep. With the 24" sink cabinet, the middle of the sink would be just over 14" from the wall. I would think that might be okay. We could do a bigger sink base. I was just trying to limit the linear feet of the deeper cabinet, trying to avoid making it too cramped.

I need a filler on the door side due to the door frame and a filler on the other side because of the rounded tile. In each of these cases I really need only an inch but Barker recommends a 2" filler, the slimmest standard filler, or they have a 3/4" slim filler but that is just not quite wide enough. The filler in the middle I added for symmetry since the sink cabinet will be 18" deep and the drawers will be 15" deep.

We haven't opened up the wall. I would assume plumbing could be moved if it was worth it.

• gowerclem
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the ideas mayflowers.

I definitely realize that 9" drawers are small! Believe it or not we have 6" and 9" drawers in our master bathroom right now, not by choice, and my 9" drawers feel very roomy compared to the 6" drawers my husband is stuck using. I figured the 9" drawers would be able to hold some of the basics like toothbrush, toothpaste, and a few odds and ends. Right now all of those types of things are stored in the cabinet over the toilet, which doesn't seem like the best scenario for every day use. I will definitely reach out though to find out the exact inside dimensions of the Barker doors. I also realize that 30" drawers are huge. I was just looking for a way to fill out the rest of that wall.

The wall where the pedestal sink is now is only 21" deep total on the tub wall and is only 18.5" deep from the corner to where the tile starts. I was thinking that I couldn't do an 18" deep vanity there. With the 1.5" countertop overhang added on to that would push it into the tile. I do like the idea of centering the sink but was just concerned about it feeling cramped. I wonder if I centered the sink and then bumped the vanity back to 15" deep on either side might work out well.

I do think that the scones through the mirror sound lovely.

If you did a 36" vanity, would you use a 24" sink base and a 12" drawer?

• User
    7 years ago

You might do an 18" deep sink base and 15" or 16" deep drawer bases. In that case I'd make the sink base 30" wide with 15" drawers since the sink base will become a "statement" in that style of vanity. I'm not sure about the depth and length proportions looking balanced. I always draw up my ideas on graph paper or mock it up with boxes.

You'll need to get a narrower sink with an 18" deep sink base. A rectangular sink is best if you have 30" length of sink base to fill. Sometimes people buy too small of a sink, but it will be a feature in this design, so don't go skimpy.

Yes, I'd do a 24" single door sink base. I have that and my 12" drawers have 9" of storage due to the sides of the drawer box.

• User
    7 years ago

Here's a few pics of bumped-out sink bases.

Relaxation · More Info

Classic bath vanity with lots of storage · More Info

Pure Luxe · More Info

Traditional Bathroom · More Info

• Karenseb
    7 years ago

I like the idea of putting the sink in the middle like mayflowers suggested. I wonder if the 3/4 inch filler would be enough considering the edge of the drawer may not be at the edge of the cabinet and would clear the tile. Same idea on the door side. Then you could do a 27 inch sink cab flanked by 15 in drawers on each side. If you need 2 inch fillers, do a 27 or 24 inch cab depending on sink choice and make drawers out of the leftover space. Does Barker do custom sizes?

Watch out for sink dimensions. The Kohler you referenced needs a 21 inch deep cab. Even though the sink basin is about 12 inches front to back (width), the actual front to back is about 14 inches. Do a search for for "sinks in 18 inch deep cabinets". I am thinking you are using an undermount sink in a quartz top. You have to fit a faucet behind the sink unless you offset the faucet. If you have a backsplash, that takes up some of the space. From what I've read the fabricators like 3 to 4 inches at the front edge and you need about 5 inches for the faucet space, plus backsplash.

You could bump out just the sink cabinet to 21 inches deep to accommodate your sink.

• Karenseb
    7 years ago

I had the same thoughts as Mayflower.