Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Do you burn candles at home?

Emily H
7 years ago

A' La Mer - Dining Room Detail · More Info

How do you feel about candles? Do you use them at home or have them only for decoration? How regularly?

Vote and tell us about it in the comments!

Yes - daily
Yes - weekly
Yes - once in a while
No
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    7 years ago

Love candles, everywhere in the house !

• glschisler
    7 years ago
    I use battery operated candles. Fire scares me.
  • Tangela W
    7 years ago
    I use wax LED tapers that flicker and come on by timer for 5 hours everyday same time.
  • Kim S
    7 years ago
    I like smelling air rather than fragrance. No candles for me.
  • tooky58
    7 years ago

I like them in the bathroom. Now, after saying that, we're trying a tart melter.

• siriusskills
    7 years ago

Locally made natural beeswax candles (alternating with Lampe Berger, real sage and real hollywood) for scent and purifying the air.

• appytrails
    7 years ago

Flickering fake candles for me. I have always been afraid of the animals knocking over a "real" candle.

• PRO
    Janet H. Designs
    7 years ago

I love the fragrance of floral scented candles but with my furry friends running around, I don't burn them as often as I would like. Have switched to the battery-operated ones...vanilla seems to be the only fragrance they come in though.

• kathycrigler
    7 years ago

I have switched to essential oils and a diffuser. Much healthier and natural.

• PRO
    Staged To A Tee
    7 years ago

I will never forget the dinner party we had at Christmas a few years ago. I had tiny votives on the dining room table. I never knew that the tree centerpiece which looked like glass was actually made of highly flammable acrylic. In the few moments we were all in the living room, the 3 foot centerpiece caught fire and the room was orange with flames. Luckily the caterer knew how to use a fire extinguisher (let me tell you, you THINK you do until your house is on fire...buy one and practice) and we saved the house. The caterer got quite a tip that night and we now use fake candles all the time. We were out of the room for a few minutes and nearly lost the house.

• Beth Bevington
    7 years ago
    I continue to think I'm candle safe! Thanksgiving I made a
    Ceramic pumpkin candle centerpiece. Used floral styrofoam
    To hold the candles. Surrounded the top with mini pumpkins.
    We sat at the table for about two hours. Candles burning beautifully. After cleaning up, everyone sitting in living room.
    One of my guests walked into dining room and the candles had burned down and flames were creeping up. Scary to say the least. I realize, I love candles. I now enclose them in glass.
    Not just set on glass. In glass. This has worked for the holidays. Also, when going to bed both my husband and I turn out lights, looking for lit candles. Just can't be to careful.
    Happy and safe holidays.
  • mia506
    7 years ago

They have to be unscented!!!!

• PRO
    Cameron's Design
    7 years ago

I love candles for the scent and decoration, but never burn them. Living in an apartment, I just see too many risks.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    7 years ago

Never - a little real frankincense, camphor, dragon's blood or pinion pitch on coals from the wood stove though.

• PRO
    Peyton’s Place
    7 years ago
    Yes, and I use locally made beeswax candles they smell delicious, from my store, Peyton's Place in The Plains, Virginia. www.peytonsplacefurniture.com
  • carolynsmimi
    7 years ago

I have weighty, thick glass votive cups. I love the flickering flame in the evenings. Sitting on the mantel little tea lights, instead of votives, with aluminum bases and a 3 hour burn time, there's no danger.

• Laura Benjamin
    7 years ago

I would burn candles but husband is very sensitive to odors and smoke so we stick with electrical lights.

• melodireyes
    7 years ago

I use wax candles at times - mostly for the aroma - but they are in glass or candle jars. I've never had a fire but I once left a candle too near a kitchen cabinet and it marred the surface. I live in Houston and in the summer candles can make the room feel muggy so I also use battery operated candles. I love the flicker flame types that look so real and also have a little crackling sound. They are on timers and safe but I go through a ton of batteries. For aroma and during the day I use the little pots that melt wax tarts. I have a diffuser for essential oils but it's kind of a lot of trouble, doesn't really sent the air and the oils are very expensive

• S MacDonald
    7 years ago

Between my sensitivity to perfumes and the fear of fire my husband and I share and the newly acquired kitty who jumps on things... no freaking way.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    7 years ago

Now that I think of it I guess my wood stove is my candle - and we use it a lot during the winter. It is beautiful and functional - thermal delight we called in college. Wood stove or fireplace - get an incense burner, put a chunk of ember in it and real incense - heavenly.

• Kim Sheldon_Rothe
    7 years ago

I like candles, but I use them on a candle warmer that melts the wax without needing to light the wick. I also use wax melters/tart warmers, and the Wallflowers from Bath & Body Works.

• terrib962
    7 years ago

Scented candles are toxic even when not lit - they should be illegal. It is difficult to even walk by them in a store - have to hold my breath and run. And even the organic ones sold in health food stores I would not feel comfortable using as I would be concerned my cats would knock them off and start the house on fire. Please - everyone - STOP buying toxic candles and they will have to quit making and selling them - that goes for toxic glade, downy, bounce, and other synthetic fragrance items too - stop buying them and spread the word how toxic they are - lots of articles out there listing the toxic chemicals, etc.

• katie32123
    7 years ago

Love candles. As long as they are unscented!!! Yes, yes terrib962. I so agree. We try to keep an unscented house.

• Loretta Garcia
    7 years ago

Yes, they give a feeling of warmth and nostalgia. I prefer unscented ones

• Christine Martel
    7 years ago
    I love candles, particularly scented, but I use them with caution.
  • PRO
    Material Media
    2 months ago

Check our our creative candles. Here are a few examples. We also do customs.

https://www.zazzle.com/chandelier_wick_candle-256914263807023433

Chandelier Candle

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

I love the battery candles that turn on at the same time every day - genius!! I have candles in the fireplace next to my dining area that I light a couple times a week for dinner, along with a candle arrangement on the dinner table. I also burn a scented candle in the living room in the evening if we are in that room watching tv or reading.

• PRO
    dreamdoctor
    2 months ago

When the power goes off. I can smell like two things now.