Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wejamecono

Induction cookware/buzzing noise

Hobie Webern
7 years ago

Just got induction - working out pretty well (getting used to it) - have tried some different types of pans. To my surprise, in trying out a Scanpan, which I think is made specifically for induction, I noticed a buzzing noise coming from the cooktop that got louder as I turned up the power. I was relieved to read that this is somewhat normal for induction, and occurs more with light weigh pans (like the Scanpan). I haven't bought new cookware, so am looking for input from people who have encountered this buzzing issue - which pans buzzed, which didn't?

Comments (11)

• silken1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I bought a set of triple clad stainless steel cookware by Quisinart (made in France) and there is almost 0 buzzing on any power setting and on any hob. But I also use some non stick various name pans and get very little buzzing. I think part of it may depend on the pot or pan, but the power level and also which induction range you have makes a difference. Mine is a GE Profile and I haven't had any other to compare it to. But my friend had a KitchenAid until the range broke for the umpteenth time in less than a year and she swapped it out for a Samsung. Her KitchenAid made a fair bit of noise when she was demoing it to me. I have never tried a Scanpan.

Hobie Webern thanked silken1
  • weedmeister
    7 years ago

It really depends. My AllClad is pretty quiet. My Circulon is noisy until I put something in it or it warms up.

Hobie Webern thanked weedmeister
  • sherri1058
    7 years ago

I think my cast iron is the only thing that doesn't buzz. Must be the weight. I have AllClad, Scanpan, Lagostina, Silga Technica and they all buzz to some degree.... but generally only when they are heating up. Once heated they are either quiet, or I don't hear them any more. It's interesting though, that my Scanpan is quieter than my AllClad. It must be the particular pieces that I have.

Hobie Webern thanked sherri1058
  • Pennie Heath
    7 years ago

My Circulon buzzes some but stops after a bit so yes, I guess it stops after the pot heats up. I have a Kitchenaid range. Hoping I don't have a lemon like your friend!

Hobie Webern thanked Pennie Heath
  • Hobie Webern
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Since a few of you brought up cast iron - I know this is sort of a well-covered question, but I am still somewhat confused. My unit says specifically 'do not use cast iron' - but I have tried some cast iron and it works (Staub enameled kettle worked once, then didn't, though). Is the 'no cast iron' deal really mainly about scratching/cracking the glass? And the fact that it doesn't make full contact with the magnetic elements? I bought some silicone mats with cast iron in mind, but also am trying to make sure this is kosher since they are heat resistant up to 480 degress, but I really don't know how hot the bottom of a pan gets. Anyhow, thanks for the feedback about various pan types.

• silken1
    7 years ago

Pennie Heath,

It was her oven part of it and it kept quitting in the middle of baking something. After a year of troubleshooting and having parts replaced, she demanded a different brand from the appliance place. If you have had yours for a while, you would likely know if it's a bad one. Good luck :)

• nyeringa
    7 years ago

I think it has to do with the pan being 2 pieces?? My LeCreuset and other cast iron never buzzes, but my stainless that has the thick bottom that is attached buzzes. I think they are Ikea.

Hobie Webern thanked nyeringa
  • lisadlu16
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have Bosch and the manual doesn't say not to use cast iron. I was concerned about scratches at first but now we have been using it for a while I am not bothered at all. We do not slide the pans/pots on the cooktop though. Just make sure the bottom of any cookware you use doesn't have any rough spots and I think you will be just fine.

We do have a few All-Clad pieces too and they do have an almost inaudible buzz for literally about 10 seconds befor the pan heats up, then all is quite. But our Le Crueset cast iron has no noise at all.

Hobie Webern thanked lisadlu16
  • rantontoo
    7 years ago

I use a Paper towel under my cast iron frying pan to avoid potential scratches. High, sustained heat might scorch Tegucigalpa towel but medium settings or lower work well.

Hobie Webern thanked rantontoo
  • T T
    last year

I have found that none of the Tramontina Try-ply base cookware makes noice. No noice at all! It has a 1/4 inch very flat base added and is only on the Try-ply pans. They make other pan types but if you see that added bottom they will be silent. Even the non stick has no noice. It's lightweight so I don't think the weight of pans is the problem it's how much magnetic hold the pan has at its base. I have the Thermador cooktop and have gone through several pans from Amazon. These are wonderful. I hear if you can get the ones made in Brazil they are supposed to be better quality but I doubt it will effect the induction magnetic bottoms but I haven't tried the ones made in China.