Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silvergravity79

ID succulent help also it's dying?

silvergravity79
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So I got this succulent as a baby 2 years ago and it's done great, but all of a sudden it's leaves are all falling off when they seem pretty healthy? I don't know what it is, either, so I don't know if it's normal. The leaves are pointing downward and all seem healthy until they just drop. I removed all the dead or dying ones yesterday.

the pictures seem squished down but hopefully they show normally on a computer.

Comments (12)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Echeveria purpusorum. Etiolated from lack of light - plant is 'opening up' trying to get more light, so leaves are drooping and center is skinny and too light in color. It is possibly over-watered too. The soil seems to be wet and very organic - drainage is not very good in those types of soil.

silvergravity79 thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • mesembs
    7 years ago

The plant is an Echeveria purpusorum.

I think this one is a victim to rot. The soil held water against the roots, and as a result, they rotted. You definitely need to repot it. try a mix of perlite and cactus and succulent soil: 40% soil, 60% perlite. When you are repotting, you will need to watch for dead and rotted roots, which you will need to cut off. You will also need to cut out any squishy parts, otherwise the rot will just keep spreading.

Your plant is also in need of more light. I use fluorescent lights in the winter, but I put them outside whenever possible.

Here is a comparison picture of my E. purpusorum, which I did not take all that long ago:

Useful Pictures · More Info

Mine is quite a bit smaller than yours, but you can see the coloring induced by higher levels of light. When you put plants in brighter light, remember to do it slowly, increasing the exposure, otherwise the succulent will burn.

~palmsandsnow

silvergravity79 thanked mesembs
  • silvergravity79
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you! What temperature should I keep it at? It's currently winter so it's pretty cold, but as I have a lizard her tank is the warmest part of the house. It's 70-90 degrees F in there so probably too hot I'd assume but a lot of bright light. If I were to put it in there where she couldn't touch it after reporting it, would it do better there? Or could I put it outside the tank where it's cooler but has the bright light still?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

I don't think you need so much heat (my succs do not get higher than 60-65°F). But bright light will help a lot. Sometimes, little bottom heat will help rooting, but should not be way too hot. Leaving pot on warmer surface is enough - but not absolutely necessary.

First, you should see if the roots are healthy. When repotting, get rid of all old soil fro the roots. If not sure, post a photo. If very wet, let it dry up on some newspaper or paper towels for few hrs.

If healthy, pot up into better mix. If roots are gone or very damaged, you may be able to re-root the plant in fast draining mix. In case of no roots, do not water - no roots-no water.

• silvergravity79
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So I got some cactus mix to replant it but unsure if the roots have rot or not? I'm not sure what makes them healthy or rotted. Another leaf has shriveled and was easily pulled off since yesterday. Would rot cause the leaves to shrivel? The top leaves are still healthy and growing but I'm concerned that with how fast they're dying the dead ones are quicker than the growing ones and it will all die.

are its roots okay?

edit: I take it back, while repotting it I lost 3 leaves, not just 1, and I can see another that's shriveled and still attached. I repotted it but if its roots are bad I'll go and redo it to get rid of bad roots. And what should be done for it after being repotted in terms of water and light?

And will it be okay with the fact that as it's going to be next to my lizard tank to get the light from her tank, the light goes from dark to light very quick, unlike next to a window where it's gradual light changing all day? Her lights are on a timer so they go on and off at certain points of the day but once they're out it's totally dark. I don't want to shock the poor plant either

• mesembs
    7 years ago

The roots look ok, but to tell if they are rotting, check if they are squishy. In the picture, they look pretty good and healthy.

Definitely as much light as you can do, but just not all at once. Try to do it gradually, or you will be dealing with sunburn as well.

Water when the soil is completely dry. To measure that, use a wooden chopstick or skewer, and if it comes out dry (leave it in for a day or so), then you can water. I wouldn't water for a few days after you have transplanted it, though.

• silvergravity79
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Alright, thank you! I'm going to repot it again tomorrow with the same soil mix and everything since I just did it today just to make sure they aren't rotting. Is the lack of light the only issue (other than possible rot)? It probably was overwatered too, but that shouldn't be an issue anymore. I don't know enough about the succulent type to know if not enough light would cause the leaves to shrivel.

And the light is on about 12 hours during the day. 7am-7pm if I'm remembering correctly.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Lights on as you describe are just fine.

Agree with palms, roots look quite good in your photos. Can you remember at all if they felt really soft? Damaged roots are usually dark in color.

If I have plant that was overwatered, I usually let it sit on some newspaper/paper towels to soak up all extra moisture, and then pot up. Few hrs is usually enough. Palms also suggested adding lots of perlite if you are using soil, did you do that? It will make your mix much better draining.

Overwatering is worse for plants than lack of light. If it causes rot, it could eventually kill the plant. Low light will make it grow skinny and tall, and not best looking, but doesn't really kill it. Improving all conditions will help the plant.

• silvergravity79
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I sadly haven't found the time to check the poor thing for squishy roots, but it seems to be doing alright at least. No more leaves have fallen off, even the one that already started dying is hanging in there somehow. I don't remember any roots being dark or squishy though, so I'm hoping for no rot so it's not dead by the time I get to check it.

It also doesn't have perlite because the cactus mix was all they had at the store, but I'm hoping to get some. And the light issue makes a lot more sense- when it came inside when it got cold, it immediately spring up and looked like a spikey tower. It was so strange, but hopefully it'll stop that now that it is getting brighter light. It's being kept at around 65 degrees, too, so I'm hopeful

• silvergravity79
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So I was hopeful but it's taken a turn for the worse. I noticed two leaves beginning to want to fall off so I dug it up and it looks bad. Half the stem (which was buried as it very leggy) has started to go brown and there feels like a break between the bad and good stuff though it didn't snap or get broken. It's also lost many roots. Rot, I'm assuming then. What can be done to save what's left?

• mesembs
    7 years ago

I don't know how far the rot has progressed, but I would try to pull off a few of the newer leaves and root them, because I don't know if you will be able to save it.

First of all, get all the dirt off of the roots, so you can see clearly what's going on. Check for mushy roots and parts of the stem. Cut out and mushy spots. I think you are going to have to cut out a good portion, if not all of the stem. If you are left with no roots, you will have to let it callous over for a few days, and I would also apply some cinnamon at this time.

Stick it in dry soil and see what happens.