Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimmer69

Repose Gray is a lot darker than what I was expecting...help!

kimmer69
7 years ago

Repose gray on top, Agreeable gray on bottom

Repose gray on top, Agreeable gray on bottom

We are building a new house and I had my heart set on Repose Gray paint since it looked great on the poster board and even when hung up on the wall in my current home. However, when I brought it out to our new house and hung it on the wall, it appeared so dark. I also hung up a poster board of Agreeable Gray for comparison. I think I actually liked the Agreeable Gray better in the new house (but not as much back at home). Either way, they both appear dark to me. Our new house is primarily north facing which I guess means we won't get as much sunlight. We don't have electricity installed yet, so this is natural midday sunlight. Any suggestions of what I should do? Go with a lighter paint? Cut the paint by a certain percentage to make lighter? Although the repose color now looks almost too cold/gray so I don't know if cutting the formula would warm it up. Should I not base the color on natural sunlight but more of what it would look like with lights on? Not sure what to do. Any suggestions for other colors? I tried a number of samples already, but none lighter than these.

Repose gray on right, Agreeable gray on left

Comments (29)

• lynn
    7 years ago

Agreeable gray is warmer.

kimmer69 thanked lynn
  • graywings123
    7 years ago

I would post this on the Home Decorating forum. Also you might want to google "paint colors for north facing room."

kimmer69 thanked graywings123
  • dan1888
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ask the paint store to mix a gallon with the quart formula and change tint base if necessary. That will give you a lighter version. Alternatively look at the color card. The lighter colors on that card are usually fractional reductions in all the colorants that make up a darker version. You can ask for the formula to compare what and how much is in it. You can do that for both colors to figure out what is creating the difference. Be sure to consider nighttime lighting too when evaluating samples. Bring lights especially if you are going LED vs incandescent.

kimmer69 thanked dan1888
  • kimmer69
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions!

• prairiemom61
    7 years ago

I have Repose Gray in basement hall and two bedrooms. No natural light. It is a wonderful very light gray. We have warm LED ceiling can lights. I'm not at home now but will try to post photos soon. I used gray carpet and red/white/blue quilts and accessories.

• prairiemom61
    7 years ago

I found these pics:

kimmer69 thanked prairiemom61
  • kimmer69
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for posting these. It looks great in your house!

• prairiemom61
    7 years ago

I just used SW's cheaper Ovation line in a satin. Covered primed walls nicely.

kimmer69 thanked prairiemom61
  • sahai6
    7 years ago

prairiemom61,

Repose gray color looks beautiful in your house.

Is this Repose Gray at its full strength? What types of undertones it shows, blue, taupe, green or pink etc.?

My kitchen will be demolished in beginning of May and I am looking for gray color with none of these undertones I mentioned above. So far I have tried BM Revere Pewter, Shale, Stonington and Cement Gray. All of these gray color have some type of these undertones and they look horrible in my kitchen. My cabinets will be white hi gloss with Cambria Swanbridge counter tops and medium gray color tiles. My kitchen is south facing and gets tons of natural light.

Anglophilia,

Does your Repose Gray (at 1/2 strength) paint have any undertones I mentioned? Does this customized version of Repose gray color look like real gray color? Do you mind sharing the name, brand and sheen of your white color paint?

Thank you in advance.

Mindy

• prairiemom61
    7 years ago

Sahai6 I just saw your question. The bedrooms are 100% Repose Gray. We also just did our small office and it looks great. We don't have the furniture back in yet. When we started trimming I was concerned, it looked so dark! But once finished, it looks very light. See pics.

See the corner? It looked so dark!
    Finished room. Crazy isn't it? New carpet going in tomorrow. For contrast, see the white copy paper in the printer? Before pic is below. I think they were just off-the-shelf white

• sahai6
    7 years ago

prairiemom,

Thank you for your response. Repose Gray sure looks nice in your rooms.

Anglophilia,

Do you mind showing the room picture showing with Repose Gray at 50% strength?

I will also like to know what VERY white paint you have used for trim? I will really appreciate that.

Thank you,

Mindy

• romy718
    7 years ago

@sahai6 - I just sampled a bunch (20+) of grey & greige paints. I have to choose a SW paint so the BM colors I've sampled are color matched in the SW sample jug. You might try BM Nimbus 1465 & BM Barren Plain 2111-60. BM Nimbus is a tiny bit darker than Repose but is a truer & crisper gray than Repose. BM Barrren Plain is lighter than both Repose & Nimbus and also looks to be a true gray. They may look different mixed by BM. I sampled Behr Silver Drop in the Behr brand and then sampled Silver Drop in Sherwin Williams. The Behr sample had a visible green undertone & the SW sample had no green. I still haven't made a decision. I've narrowed it to those 3 & Agreeable Gray. I just painted a 75% Repose Gray sample board - waiting for it to dry.

• romy718
    7 years ago

Followup regarding Repose Gray at 75% - a lighter color but not the same color as Repose Gray.

• Lenny Davis
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Would love to know what you ended up with! I have similar problem with north facing kitchen.... north facing receives more blue light, so I'd be concerned it would bring out the purple in repose. Agreeable is a tad warmer and may work better. Oftentimes it's not just the direction of light received or undertone, but the quality of light - or lack thereof! Once on, did your choice feel much lighter than you feared? For me, repose looked blue/purple, revere pewter green (although a beautiful silver in different room), but agreeable gray works (although if I peer at it long enough I can see a slight lavender which no else sees - easily fixed w/use of compact fluorescent bulbs in warm white). Also, readers beware - lightening or darkening a color isn't just that.... it actually becomes a different color and more times than not, it's best to just pick a different color. Boy, picking the right gray can be difficult!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 years ago

Also, readers beware - lightening or darkening a color isn't just that.... it actually becomes a different color and more times than not, it's best to just pick a different color.

Yep. Every dimension of the color - hue/value/chroma/LRV - changes. Not just lightness/darkness. The new color may have some of the characteristics from the original color, it might not. Won't know until you have it mixed. Whether you like it or not, you have to pay for the paint.

I didn't realize that some people thought they could ask for formulas to be cut/increased and if they didn't like it they didn't have to pay for it. Um, nope. The paint store will cut/double/increase because you're buying every drop they mix for you - like it or not.

• romy718
    6 years ago
    Lenny - not sure if your question is for me but I'll share my experience. I did end up using Repose Gray (not lightened.) The home is a new build in another state. I had to choose one color for the entire home so I was looking for a color that works in a variety of lighting situations. The Repose looks great in every room. I was very tempted to use a lighter gray but was afraid it would look washed out in the rooms that don't have a lot of natural light. I was very torn between Repose and Agreeable. I had read they were both good "whole house colors." We didn't see the home until closing and I was shocked at how great it looks in every room. Very fresh looking and no purple tones. My floors are a brown, wood look, ceramic tile that are more warm than cool.
  • pandang81
    6 years ago

Hello romy718,

did the repose gray end up looking Lighter once it was on all of your walls? Did you use it on your ceiling?

• romy718
    6 years ago
    Pandang81 - I’m not the original poster. I can’t really say if it was lighter or darker than what I expected. We were out of state when the house was painted. I was very pleasantly pleased with the outcome as every room in the house is painted Repose Gray and it looks great in each room. It was new construction & the builder allowed one Sherwin Williams paint color for the walls. The ceiling & trim are a crisp white.
  • jtascam
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I chose Repose grey because I wanted a brighter paint on my walls. When I arrived home, I was disappointed. It looked white. But when it dried, it was beautiful for my well-lighted living room space. I'm very happy. I will go a tad bit darker in my kitchen to make my white cabinets pop.

FYI I am repainting all of my doors and trip to crisp white...against the Repose gray , it will look fab

• Katherine
    5 years ago

Is there anyway you can post pics of the Repose Gray?

• Mark
    5 years ago

Katherine here is repose gray in my renovation.

• Katherine
    5 years ago

Thanks! Looks nice.

• adriennestitt
    5 years ago

migreen113 - Love the look on the wall with the sun on it, but the wall w/out light looks too dark for my space. There is no direct light at all and it's a small living room. What does it look like in person?

• bethl316
    5 years ago
    Has anyone used repose gray on both walls and ceiling (and have a picture to share)?
  • Amby924 BY
    5 years ago

Has anyone noticed a purple undertone to Repose Gray lightened at 50%? We have a new build (so all white walls) and when I painted a swatch of regular repose gray it seemed so dark! Therefore I lightened 50% and now that swatch looks purple. Is it just me that everything looks so dark because Ive been staring at white walls for 8 months?!

• Holly Stockley
    5 years ago

No, it's because "lightening" a color turns it into a completely different color with different properties. If you want a lighter grey, look for a lighter grey chip rather than trying to water down another shade.

• HU-159430695
    4 years ago

I’m a little late to this board, but we used Repose in our old house that we sold. We used It as a whole house color inside and it turned out very pretty. It does reflect a little different in each room bc of windows and lighting. That house was 1600 sq ft, the dining room was very small and it looked great in there, made the room look much larger. All of that said, we just finished painting our current dining room in Repose today. We covered red walls. The first coat I noticed a lot of green undertones, and the color looked much darker. We have the second coat on and it’s pretty, but I’m not feeling like it looks as grey as it did at the other house. Depending on where you stand in the room, it looks grey, greige, or more tannish looking, I don’t know if the mix was off a little or if it’s just the lighting of the room. It is north facing, which is apparently not the best place to put Repose. I’m going to see how it looks in a couple of days and may try another grey.

• djmcmom
    last year

I know this is an old thread…but you should ALWAYS prime first for best true color…ESPECIALLY when covering red, or any darker, paint color. If you did prime, you failed to mention…so seems like you did not.