Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbarpro

How can I upgrade this bathroom to spa meets Hollywood Regency?

kbarpro
7 years ago

Hi! We have a wonderful short sale home that needs a TON of updating. Would like to create a bathroom space that is a combo of Hollywood Regency style with a spa like atmosphere with touches of nature (such as stone and wood), combined with beautiful texture. I really like white, I like gray, also but don't know if a pop of color is needed somewhere...and if so, which color? Light turquoise? Green? Neither? And what should I do about the cathedral cabinets? We will replace the vanity eventually, but with so many projects replacing the vanity is probably on the middle of our list (have to do kitchen cabinets and landscaping also, for starters). So I need advice on how to DIY on a budget while we fix some other eyesores first. We DO like the light fixtures that are shown (for over the sink)...but are looking for ideas for over the bathtub. There are two can lights there now but I am thinking a modern chandelier might be nice. What do you think?

Thank you for the feedback!

Comments (48)

• kbarpro
    Original Author
    7 years ago

P.S. Here are some more photos.

• kbarpro
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And a few more...

• kbarpro
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Bathroom storage closet.

• kbarpro
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• kbarpro
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We don't use this tub and will be replacing it...but for now it at least needs to look decent! There is a shower stall next to this, but looking for ways to update that, as well. I think most everything in the bathroom needs a redo, but just looking for some simple fixes while we focus on other projects for now.

• acm
    7 years ago

"spa meets Hollywood Regency" seems like a pretty glam standard, but you don't want to replace your vanity. I guess "DIY" means you don't want to tear out most of the rest? are you looking for paint and fixture suggestions, or to put a new countertop on an old vanity, or a design for an overhaul that you'll do in parts, or...??

• acm
    7 years ago

Simple fix = nicer vanity hardware (maybe something with a little sparkle), new sink and tub hardware, new quieter shade of wall paint (maybe a silvery gray?). Fresh white paint on vanity, I think. Then wait to do more.

kbarpro thanked acm
  • kbarpro
    Original Author
    7 years ago

acm, For now, paint colors, textures and accessories (including new hardware, rugs, lamps, art, etc)...things that can stay once the tub, vanity and other things are replaced. Suggestions for vanity and tub are also welcome. Any advice on how to replace the door for the bathroom closet is also welcome. Once we are ready to replace vanity and tub we will revisit the forums, but open to suggestions now (which will motivate me to save up!). Again, for now looking for paint color ideas, art and accessories. I am also puzzled about what to do for a border around those glass squares in the window space, as well as the border around the tub that extends up the wall a bit. I guess with Hollywood Regency I am in to the clean lines, texture, mirrored surfaces, etc. With a spa feel I am hoping for something a little more simple to weave it's way in and take the "glamour" factor down a notch or two.

• Sammy
    7 years ago

I hate to be bearer of bad news, but it looks like you'll have to scrap the idea of the chandelier over the tub.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/far-above-tub-chandelier-be-87649.html

kbarpro thanked Sammy
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Since a chandelier is out, if you don't go for plants what about some silver candlabras or candle sconces?

kbarpro thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I would paint the vanity Black and add brass hardware...for a more regal look...paint walls white add brass light fixtures..the one you posted Is very modern does not seem to fit any of the design styles you mentioned you wanted? Add dark green or gold towels..add mirrors with gold frame....around the garden tub paint it black and add wood shelves with rolled towels and accessories on them maybe some regal looking art on walls in botanicals with gold or black frames.

kbarpro thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • User
    7 years ago

Reface your cabinets, drawers and paint add a nice elegant wall paper add more texture to the bath like tile or wall panel....I've seen some bathrooms pics with chandeliers hanging from the bath....there must have some kind of code for bath
    http://houzz.com/sr/m=7/u=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5ob3V6ei5jb20vcGhvdG9zLzgwMjM4MDgvU3Vuc2V0LVBsYXphLXRyYWRpdGlvbmFsLWJhdGhyb29tLWxvcy1hbmdlbGVz

kbarpro thanked User
  • User
    7 years ago

@Claire, What you see on Houzz is often not acceptable by code enforcement, and can be photo shopped and very misleading. The photo you link to does NOT have a chandelier over the tub.

Sunset Plaza · More Info

Sunset Plaza · More Info

• User
    7 years ago
    @Fred S I know it's not placed over the tub....but there must be something in the guidelines stating that if the lights are moisture resistant that you should be able to use it....like this one

http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/fatboy-original/product-4189-652208.html

But you can always use bathroom sconces to give it the same ambience
  • User
    7 years ago
    Ummm you can also use flush mount chandeliers as well.
  • User
    7 years ago
    And I read the guidelines it doesn't say you can't place a chandelier above the tub...it has to be eight feet away and you just to find lighting that are moisture resistant for the bathroom
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

I thought has to be ten feet away?? With 8' ceiling a light would hang to low even if you hang a flushmount it won't pass code because it still would hang less tha 8' from the tub...it can be very tricky..you can hang a chandelier in middle of room but with 8' ceiling you don't have a lot of chandelier options..because bottom of chandelier should be no lower than 7'

• User
    7 years ago

"but there must be something in the guidelines stating that if the lights are moisture resistant that you should be able to use it."

Any chandelier, regardless of moisture resistance, must be completely outside of the 8 foot zone. Any lights outside of the tub or shower space do not need to be moisture resistant per codes.

NEC 410.10(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas.

No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires locate within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray.

• User
    7 years ago

"even if you hang a flushmount it won't pass code because it still would hang less tha 8' from the tub"

"Flushmount" is not in the list of luminaires not allowed. Neither is a sconce... that would surely be below 8'. Surface-mounted and recessed are also allowed.

It is 8' from the top rim of the tub, so it would be close to 10' from the floor.

• User
    7 years ago

What's the height of your ceiling from the tub...@kbarpro

• kbarpro
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Not quite sure, but it sounds like a chandelier isn't going to work. Do you think it depends on the height of the ceiling?

• PRO
    Angelica Angeli ❤ Interior Design Journalist
    7 years ago

Perhaps try a dark paint on the walls, with a chandelier in the middle of the room, and put new hardware on the vanity like you see in the pictures below.

Glenview Master Bathroom Remodeling · More Info

• kbarpro
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. Going to measure my ceiling height soon.

• User
    7 years ago
    Do you have picture of the whole bathroom
  • User
    7 years ago
    You can't tell me this can't be done.....do you think Elle Decor would publish this if it wasn't real
  • User
    7 years ago
    Oops Forgot pic

http://pin.it/ITRXR30
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

The link doesn't work, Claire Larece.

• Kathy Yata
    7 years ago

Worked for me. Does this work for you? Just because something is in print doesn't make it legal.

If not what about a decorative hanging thing that looks like a chandelier? Since you have can lights already it could be sparkly and cast nice reflections.

• kbarpro
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think I can do lamp shades chandelier style without a light bulb in them...they have these kinds of lamp shades and they can be used either with just a tealight or nothing at all (just for decorative purposes). I have too many other projects to do than to attend to concerns of chandeliers for the bathroom, lol. I will be glad to implement paint and new fixtures and accessories, and go from there. :)

• User
    7 years ago

Here's the pic in Elle decor magazine

• leemiller
    7 years ago
    A chandelier and over a tub is not to code in our area. We are remodeling and paint and new hardware for the vanity made a big difference. Also, I ordered custom lucite and chrome fixtures from Etsy which I love.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

As of 2016
    This is the national electric code....maybe this will SHED SOME LIGHT on the discussion :) no matter what you decide on your own you should not be able to touch any part of the light while standing in the tub...

• User
    7 years ago

@Claire Larece -"You can't tell me this can't be done.....do you think Elle Decor would publish this if it wasn't real"

People speed all the time while driving too, but that does not make exceeding the speed limit legal either,... or safe.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

@Kathy Yata yes that link did work, thanks, and I see Claire Larece has posted the pic too.

OP has said chandelier won't work for her, so I guess she's measured and determined there is not enough height?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

it is to ensure you don't get electrocuted....you can do whatever you want....you would be surprised how many things are just for picture images in magazines......and remember it is fine if you have high ceilings....10' at least that way nothing hangs lower than around 8'....also keep in mind if it is an enclosed tub area it should be a sealed fixture...some of the images show a completly open area that doesn't keep the steam or moisture trapped..like the Elle Decor image.

• tqtqtbw
    7 years ago

As a DIY update to the vanity, you can use General Finishes "Java" gel stain to darken. No sanding necessary, just clean them well. Look at the videos on their website or on the web. I did my old kitchen cabinets. Sherwin Williams "Urbane Bronze" is a nice paint color, too. A rich gray paint on the cabinet would be nice also. Add crystal or metal knobs.

AUGUSTUS LANE, GREENWICH, CT · More Info

• User
    7 years ago

@Fred S and @Home Interior with Ease I already figured that out. @Kbarpro I also thought since you can't do the chandelier how about the floater shelves, like the pic I've shown you previously with LED strips underneath the shelf or around the bath

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Kbarpro..do you have any inspiration images that you are trying to duplicate the look? If so sure would help to see them:))

• kbarpro
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi

Going to concentrate on painting and fixtures for now and then revisit the forum. Thanks everyone!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Please dont put LED strips under any shelf in your bathroom...not regal at all:(

Hope all goes well with painting and fixtures!

• User
    7 years ago
    @home interiors with ease I have read about the led strips and it didn't say anything about being illegal but if you I would sure like to see this link.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

@Claire Larece, Home Interiors expressed the opinion that LED wouldn't look *regal.* No mention of its lawfulness.

• User
    7 years ago
    I thought it was a typo
  • User
    7 years ago
    Hi @kbarpro how is is your bathroom coming along
  • kbarpro
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi. We are picking out the paint color and will go from there. Just finished a class, I am going for my graduate degree plus working full time and involved in community efforts so haven't had much time. But we will paint first then refinish the sink counter and put in new faucet hardware. Then we will work on the tub area. Thanks for asking.

• claire larece
    3 years ago

Anything new with this bathroom?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

hang lighting in middle of room not over any tub..you can hang a 12" max flashmount with 8' ceilings.