Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgusner

How much you think this would cost to renovate??

Daniel G
7 years ago
Hi guys! Complete newbie here.. I'm thinking about buying this house (link below), and renovating it to give it a "new" look. The kitchen seems fine the way it is, maybe just change electric to gas stove. I'd redo all the bathrooms and do wood flooring downstairs, and carpeting on stairs and upstairs. Not sure what else is need to renovate other than that , that's why I need your help. So how much would you estimate the total cost to be? Thank you so much for any help!!!

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Cerritos/19039-Vickie-Ave-90703/home/7476528

Comments (48)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

I'd start from 175k given a rip of all baths and all that flooring. Walk a contractor through the house.

• Tina
    7 years ago
    Are you hiring the work out or doing it yourself?
  • Architectural Notice
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I agree with the comment to ask a contractor.

You could ask the realtor if you could walk a contractor through the house and indicate you might be interested in making an offer.

• Bailey R
    7 years ago

Whatever they tell you, add a xx% more. It ALWAYS costs more than you think.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

@ SOPHIE ............LOL X 100

• Daniel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thx guys for your comments!
    We would hire contractors... wow $175k?!
    I was estimating about $100k......
    $10k each bathroom ($30k)
    Carpet upstairs ($8k)
    Wood or laminate downstairs ($8k)
    New closet doors ($2k)
    Not sure what else lol ($52k)

Total $100k???

Am I being naive??
  • Bailey R
    7 years ago

Yes. Like I stated ... whatever you think or whatever anyone else tells you, it WILL cost more (usually quite a bit more).

• Daniel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    What other costs am I missing?
  • laurkade
    7 years ago
    Contractor fees and labor. It always costs more than you think!
  • Daniel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So how much is a bathroom with labor and materials typically?
  • apple_pie_order
    7 years ago

Renovated houses fetch top prices when the interior and exterior are
    renovated in a consistent, current style from top to bottom. Previous owners have remodelled this $900K house in a mishmash of styles since it was built in 1972, none of which are current. Take a close look at the brand new kitchen, too. Redoing bathrooms, flooring, lighting, mirrored everything, HVAC (not a wood stove!) can best be estimated by a local contractor on the spot who is familiar with what is expected of million dollar houses in the area.

• PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    7 years ago

The bathrooms are gonna be what gets you, especially if you're changing layout. Most of our earnings come from kitchen and bath remodels because people want to move everything around which means stripping the room completely. Like we've definitely done bathrooms for 10k and under, but I think you need to weigh your expectations. Also, you almost always need to order 50% more tile than you think you need.

That said, definitely bring in a few different contractors or designers and get a range of bids. We do free consultations, but not everyone does, so budget accordingly. Then pick the folks who can work with your budget but also have solid ideas for the space.

• Daniel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks guys for the comments!
    We wouldn't change the location of the bathrooms at all, just leave where it is but have it remodeled.
  • PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    7 years ago

I mean like if you want to move the toilet over or trade the tub for a shower - like that involves a lot more labor because you have to change how the plumbing works, so you're opening up the walls.

Just a few budget examples:

Under 10k:

Hi-rise bathroom remodel - Lakeview - Chicago, IL · More Info

Over 10k:

Evanston Master Bathroom Remodeling · More Info

Way over 10k:

Modern Bathroom Remodel - Skokie, Illinois · More Info

• User
    7 years ago

The advice I was given once: For any project, double the time you think it will take, and triple the cost... and you'll still probably be wrong.

A lot of good advice so far. Really agree with the comments about bringing in people to get bids. Be sure to check references, and go over the contract(s) with a fine tooth comb before you proceed. Depending on your location, and the materials you're selecting as well as the extent of remodel, the estimates may range a bit.

Biggest thing, I think to keep in mind: There are always things that can push projects over budget. When you start remodeling, issues below the surface can creep up that need resolved... wiring, plumbing, structural. If you're able to have a buffer in the budget, best to include it if you can.

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

$15k to $20k for a small hall bath in CA. This house needs more than a refresh. Its really dated and the layout is strange. Uneven floor level, inconsistent flooring, mirrors everywhere because its so dark, half ass upgrades, weird wood stove with weird tile, hideous light fixtures, crap kitchen, bad flow, ugly stairway. Probably needs a whole house repipe, if it hasn't already been done. Hopefully, the plumbing isn't in the slab. And the exterior is icky too. You could spend a fortune trying to make it look new, but it still won't. It was dated when it was built and it will still be dated when you're done. I'd look for something newer and in better shape. Or if you want a fixer, something older with some character.

• Daniel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks 123 remodeling!

So here's an updated list of what we think we'd need to do:

So all downstairs floors ($10k?)
    Stairs and upstairs carpet ($8k)
    3 bathrooms ($35k)
    Change electric stove to gas stove ($4k)
    New interior paint ($7k)
    2 skylights in living room ($3k)
    Update laundry room ($7k)
    Landscape backyard ($6k)
    Recessed lighting throughout house ($10k)
    Change upstairs bar area to desk ($2k)

Total $92k

What you guys think of this estimation?
  • PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    7 years ago

I would plan at least another 50k depending on the materials you choose (flooring especially can vary greatly). Like definitely bring in some contractors to look around because that is 100% the best way to estimate price. Just know that anyone who says they can do it for less that 100k is lying.

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

Daniel you need more info than you have now. Has the house been repiped or rewired? Is there gas to the house? How old is the HVAC? How old is the roof? How about the pool equipment? Which windows have been replaced? Before you get estimates to update figure out the basics. Make a low ball offer on the house and if they accept, get a thorough inspection and all disclosures right away. You can walk if there are too many issues or request repairs. You can try to get a contractor in fast, but unless you're a friend of yours, or you're a regular good luck. Everything costs more and takes longer than anyone tells you.

• Daniel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks suzyq53!
    Great advice!
    Yes I will ask about the roof, hvac, repiping, and rewiring..
  • User
    7 years ago

Going to echo what 123 Remodeling said-- agree completely: Talk to an actual contractor. That is the only way to get an estimate that is likely to be more accurate. There are so many factors that can swing cost... That is a lot of space, and a lot of work... the materials, the labor, and the unknowns... personally, 92,000 wouldn't cover that in my area and we definitely tend to swing to be less expensive than in CA...

Suzy made a good comment as well: there are other factors to consider beyond the cosmetics and sometimes they can be $$$. I don't think 92,000 give you any buffer to work with.

• Daniel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you photoninja!
  • sofikbr
    7 years ago

We just finished whole house remodel in Florida. Here are some numbers:

8k inside painting

15k floor downstairs

5.5k wood upstairs

3k lighting

4k fireplace

15k two small bathroom

20k master bathroom

30k kitchen

2.6k water heater

Total 100k inside. But if we would go with one company do all would be 200k... Also our house built in 1992 so we didn't run into any additional problems.

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

Check the electrical panel too. Its going to be undersized if original. I'm a real estate investor; I buy, sell, flip, remodel and operate rental houses in San Diego. I generally avoid homes built in the '70s for a number of reasons.

• User
    7 years ago

Daniel, you identify yourself as a newbie. STOP. Don't ask for advice from people who (with the exception of 1 or 2 posters here) don't have a clue about your actual market costs. Get a GC, who will help you get real.

BTW: In a reno, it is often the things you can't see that are the del, hidden costs. You've gotten a couple of examples on this thread, but it can be even worse than you think.

So as you set your budget, it's important for you to know what those contingencies will be. ooking for a "new look" can really open hornets' nests. Eat budget in a way you might not be ready for- or might be.

Thus the advice to get a GC involved.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

@Daniel G

10 K will barely get you a tiny powder room very "glammed" up, or the most basic 5' x 8 Home Depot bath with cheap vanity, fiberglass tub/ shower, and hotel style counter one piece tops....................so yes, a bit naive. Sorry!!! A gutted master bath more in line with your likely style? Try 60k based on your photos. That's ONE bath.........minimal plumbing moves. Get a few GC opinions and factor in your taste level for materials. Up the number for a marble palace. frameless heavy glass , etc

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

I think Jan's numbers are about average. Upscale luxury finishes and meticulous labor would be more. If you live in a higher cost of living area, it could be more.. If you choose more budget materials, it could be a bit lower. Labor is always the biggest portion of any remodel.

National average hall bath remodels cost 18.5. x3= 55.5K.

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

I just reread the listing. It says new roof, new hvac, newer windows, newer pool pump, new kitchen, new master bath, new tile, new paint, scraped popcorn, so that all sounds good. I'd want to know if it was repiped for sure and check the electrical service. Also, great schools a huge plus. Be careful how much you put in that house. I'm not seeing huge appreciation in that area. How long will you live there if you get it? If you improve too much, you'll be at the top of the market.

• Daniel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks so much guys for all the input.. soaking it all in...

We are thinking of staying for at least 5 years..

So here is the other option ( link below) we are considering.. this one is "highly upgraded".. if you had to choose which would you choose? Highly upgraded 2100 sq feet for $915k or 2800 sq feet but needs work for $900k (link at the original post)?

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Cerritos/12528-Pacino-St-90703/home/7479745
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

I wouldn't call that "highly upgraded" . It's beside the point!! Which are the better of the neighborhoods, (the schools ) as that is VERY important on a resale and more important if you HAVE kids. You don't buy a home to "make" money ; fine and dandy if you DO....just don't bet the ranch on it as so many have done before you.. You buy it to live in, to enjoy, to raise a family....etc. You buy one you can afford......that best meets those criteria. The rest is a first world issue like can you stand to look at a bath you don't love for a year or so? Those who need that level of perfection..........build it.

• User
    7 years ago

Daniel- each of these homes are in the same zip code-fairly dense neighborhood, with a decent amount of activity. You, your Realtor should be able to pull some comps so that you'll have the best idea you can get- which one (or neither!) is best for your needs. Looks like both are in the same school districts- yes?

My perspective?

Pachino's been renovated with a real emphasis towards curb appeal. Once inside, it's "meh"- not really what I, myself, would think of when I think "high upgrades". It does have a bigger lot than the other you're considering, and it was built in 1976. 8120 sq ft lot, $423/sq ft for price

Vickie is nearly 700 sq ft bigger than Pachino- does it feel like that? It's a bit older than Pacino- 1972, built- but it also has a pool. Huh- what is the real condition of the pool? Will it need to be re-finished soon, or has that been done recently? How's the roof etc? I might have missed that.. 5000 sq ft lot, $318/sq ft for price.

Honestly- get the comps pulled. Decide on whether you'd rather just live in a space for 5 years, or be in renovations for that period of time- and would the renovations make a difference in the eventual resale price?

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

I like that one much better. I like the neighborhood better. I like that its not so close to the freeway. I like the layout and the light much better. Larger lot. On a cul-de-sac. And its ready to go. No pool. Smaller. Same schools. $100 more a sq. ft. New on the market. It will go fast and for close to or over the asking price.

The one that needs work is larger, but the lot is smaller. It didn't sell and they've reduced the price $50k. It has a pool, but its an old deep pool that takes up the entire yard. Too close to the freeway. Not a cul-de-sac. Flip quality upgrades. Needs $125K to make better. Can't fix the location. Remodeling is hard. Especially with a young family.

Between the two, I'd go for the smaller one if the size works for your family. Or keep looking for something larger, in good shape, away from the freeway at a higher price point.

• shirlpp
    7 years ago

What else to renovate: Removal of the glass block. There's huge wall to wall mirrors everywhere - you will want to change this. There's mismatched trim everywhere, you'd want to change this. What about the stair railings, are you happy that the spindles and the railings are the same color. What about the kitchen in the U shape, it makes it seem small.

The second one is a lot better.

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

Forgot to mention that the fixer was a foreclosure property at one point. I take that into consideration because maybe the location so near the freeway made it hard to sell. Can you see or hear the freeway from the property?

• Daniel G
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks so much Suzy! No you can't see or hear the freeway... where did you see that it was foreclosed? What year was that? I don't see that in the price history on Redfin..
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Live in the house.and then decide what NEEDS to be done versus what you WANT to have done. To redo a bath, plan on $55,000 per bath, that includes any layout changes, new tile, new electrical fixtures, etc & this is a MIDWEST gut to the studs price. Cosmetic would be less, but that is not a gut to the studs price.

Kitchens are the most expensive room to redo followed by bathrooms.
  • suzyq53
    7 years ago

Yikes! I hope not $55K. What would that look like?

Daniel - I saw about the foreclosure on Zillow. One thing to consider. I know you said 5 years in the house, but what if its two years, due to unforeseen circumstances?

• PRO
    Linda
    7 years ago

It's been 28 years since I left southern California and this just reminds me that meeting the husband and then running for the midwest was the right choice for me! For the first house, I had to flip through half a dozen photos to find anything I wanted to keep but finally noticed the french doors leading outside. There are so many things in there I would want to change - light fixtures, hardware, flooring, mirrors, glass block and that crazy interior window over the staircase. I couldn't redo that house to be a place I would want to live for anywhere around 100K and I'm not paying the CA premium for labor either.

The second house is much more appealing but I would still want to make changes there as well. Spend $900K and still get polished brass doorknobs with chrome faucets? What else did they just decide not to replace hoping the buyers wouldn't care?

A larger house often isn't a better deal. Most people don't really need that much space and usually those with large enough families to need the space can't afford to buy it. Stick with the smaller property that has a better lot and a better location.

• qam999
    7 years ago

Back to original house: The bathrooms don't seem to be in a condition where a $10k (i.e. cheap) remodel would be worth it. They're decent enough right now; $10k won't get you any upgrade in appearance or function.

• PRO
    Reach Design
    7 years ago

Ok consider this – 5 years ago we did a reno of one bathroom and a hallway and a small room. We did ALL the work ourselves excluding plumbing, electrical but including hanging drywall (never doing it ever again!) and tiling and we spent over 25K (did I mention it was 5 years ago?) We had some custom millwork and other nice things, but still... all the labor on us and we had some good deals from our usual trades. So in today dollars in California 10K gets you a really really cheap reno that is not going to increase resale value what so ever and not worth doing.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Look. If you spend enough time online, enough time on Houzz, enough time drooling on visuals........you must also accept that ninety nine percent of all humans in this country live in something, with something.....that comes not even close to the drool inducing, speed of light /ever changing visuals. If you don't believe it, look at those posted here on the dilemma pages. So ! Time for the reality check, a sit down with a realtor, financial advisor, a long term $$$ plan and all that boring stuff that gets you safely to and through old age while still caring for your family., and also having some FUN.

A million years ago my dad used to say : " anyone who really believes he MADE money on a house, needs a better memory, a tablet and a math class." ........

• User
    7 years ago

You can't take HGTV entertainment TV as a documentary. The ''budgets'' that they use are so far from realistic, that it's criminal. You DO NOT get to ''add'' the cost of a 70K kitchen renovation to a home's value. If you're lucky, you won't lose more than 50% of that expense.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

Sophie is on the "money". You buy for you, you renovate for YOU, and you plan on nothing beyond that, but enjoyment. HGTV should be prosecuted for the ill representation of LABOR COSTS ALONE.

More unrealistic is when they take a 500k house, pour 300 k of renovations in, represent those at 150k.....and then add the furnishings with the little tags dangling that require another 150k. ......and folks just keep on watching as Joanna Gaines hangs yet another CLOCK to a wall.

• Bailey R
    7 years ago

Omg... those damn clocks! I'm so tired of them , along with .... oh never mind, too many things to list.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

I'm going to make mention of one GLARING concern for me:

Bathroom Reno budget. Big problem with this one. The US average price to renovate a bathroom = $30K each. You have three of them.

The average does include $10 "spiff-ups" with some new paint, a new vanity a mirror and new lights. And it also includes the $100K total remodel of a master bath. So an average is just an average....but the $30K is far more common than the $10K.

If we assume very close to the average price, the 3 baths ALONE could "eat" $90K. Ouch.

And flooring is a big project with bigger expenses than you can imagine. Carpets are cheap, fast and easy but still have a decent expense to them. Hardwood is harder, slower and more expensive. The hidden costs of hardwood are SUBFLOOR issues. Some problems require a $4/sf solution. And then you have the cost of the hardwood + cost of labor.

I would take a HARD LOOK at your bathroom expectations. This is the biggest concern I have with the budget set forth.

• User
    7 years ago

This from Jan Moyer:

Time for the reality check, a sit down with a realtor, financial advisor, a long term $$$ plan and all that boring stuff that gets you safely to and through old age while still caring for your family., and also having some FUN.

Yes! A local realtor can help with good market info re: improvements/over-improvements in the specific micro-neighborhood. What's "paying off", what are the buying trends? The last thing you want is to try to sell a property in 5 years with great bathrooms and a kitchen that doesn't compare with other homes in the area. Bathrooms make people feel comfortable, but kitchens sell.

What's the strength of the area, in terms of appreciation? Is it rising steeply, staying steady, or something else? Is the appreciation mainly dependent on land costs, and how do improved properties fare in comparison to others for sale, in terms of rate of return? Will give a good indication as to whether investing what will amount to well over 10%-15% of the initial purchase price is worth it, over 5 years. If it's unclear- is it worth it to you? Happiness factor might apply.

Good financial advice- yep. It isn't clear to me, but are you planning on paying cash for the improvements, or are you likely to need loans? Will have to weigh the cost of loans into the cost of ownership/decreased rate of return of the improvements.

Also- a really good CPA can be a great ally. Hard numbers- if you're carrying a mortgage, how much of the interest/property taxes can you actually deduct? Phases out within certain income levels. And if you decide to go the improvement route, which improvements will bring you credits/rebates? Gives you a great idea of the true expense from everything from choice of toilets/faucets (WaterSense, for example) to appliances- even window coverings and things like charging stations for electric cars. Things like this can help to offset the cost of improvements and help to pay for energy-effcient features that will save you money while you're the owner.

• PRO
    Linda
    7 years ago

@Jan Moyer - love your dad's comments about making money on a house...so very, very true!

My favorite question about expensive houses is "Do you own the house or does the house own you?" How many Californians can afford to keep 6 months mortgage payments in a savings account just in case something happens and they lose their job?