Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctsnicholas

Window above bed headboard

ctsnicholas
7 years ago

I have Andersen 400 windows. They are the gas filled, Low-E, crankout window. In my bedroom, I have 2 windows of the same size. 30" x 48" if I remember correctly. One is above the bed, the other on the other outside wall. I notice when laying in bed I feel chilly next to the window. It's not air moving around, it's just a constant cool chill coming from the window location. The temperature was 30 degrees F outside, and no wind. My main question is 1.) Is it not common to have a window above the bed? and 2.)Do you folks feel the chill from the window in these conditions, or should I expect more out of these windows?

If it were windy and in the single digits, I would expect this. I know the glass is cold, and the R value is very little.

I have not been around any other quality window. It's too hard for me to tell what a different brand would be like until I actually live with it. Andersen has a higher series now, called Eagle which I would be willing to try. I hear good and bad about Pella, but it seems to be a pricier option for same U-Value and Marvin is not sold locally but I would look into it if it's truly superior.

I am hoping someone here had had multiple window brands and has a valid comparison of real experience.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    toddinmn
    7 years ago

It is fairly common for a window to be above a bed. I'd say your window is performing as should and you'll not see much improvement unless you go to a triple paned window.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    7 years ago

I don't believe that Andersen considers the E-series (formerly Eagle) to be above the 400. In fact I think it is the opposite, but I admit that I'm not an expert in the nuances of their product lineup. As far as performance, I'd ensure that windows is operating properly and fully closed and locked (sounds silly, but often they are not). Beyond that, as Todd suggested, it will be difficult to see a ton of improvement with another double pane casement window. The Andersens are not bad. You could look into some thermal blinds or other window treatments that could help, just be aware that using those can introduce new problems with condensation.

• ctsnicholas
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have some double cell cellular shades that work well but I do like to keep the window fully open from window coverings because it's nice to see out and get morning sun in. The shades also have a noticeable channel effect which means that cold air all escapes at the border of the shades, making that part even colder - lol. I swore the E series were the best they had. Maybe I was mistaken, I know the price was nearly double, but that was because it offered interior blinds, better hardware, and pretty colors.

And yes, the window is sealed (latched) shut. I can definitely tell around the house when one isn't latched because the outside noise comes in easier, or it rattles.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    7 years ago

An interior storm would help.

The A-Series is Andersens top window.

All of the Andersen Windows have about the same performance numbers with there casements so changing to a different series won't help.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    7 years ago

Todd, what's the hierarchy between the 400 and E series? Is the 400 even called the 400 anymore? I didn't keep up when the changed some of those names in the past few years.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    7 years ago

A then E then 400. There are certain things that the A has and the E doesn't and vise versa. The dealer and wholesaler networks can be different as well, such as Home Depot not offering the E. I don't have a full grasp on it as I don't typically use these products.