Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soltechsolutions

What kind of fruiting trees do you have?

In your yard or in your house, let us know what kind of fruiting plants you grow. We have a small growlight company and are curious as to what fruit plants people grow either inside or outside. We currently have a Meyer lemon tree growing in our living room and a calamondin tree in our office. What type of plant do you have?

Lemon Tree
Calamondin or Orange Tree
Avacado
Banana
Pineapple
Pomegranate
Olive Tree
Other - Let us know

Comments (48)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Among others that are better suited to our zone 8a climate (apples, pears, berries) we have a couple of tenacious peach trees growing on the south side of our shop. Having just purchased the shockingly overgrown property a year and a half ago, we were surprised to see the peaches blossoming after our first rainy cold winter of clearing land and home renovations. What a nice gift from our new house! :) The peaches were delicious despite the neglected state of the trees. Now the question is whether to leave them in their feral glory or try to prune them back into submission!

Soltech Solutions thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • minjeeah
    7 years ago
    We have 2 pear trees that are dead. But we used to have good pears!!!!
    Soltech Solutions thanked minjeeah
  • tooky58
    7 years ago

Indoor Meyer lemon and pomegranate, debating a key lime and avocado.

Soltech Solutions thanked tooky58
  • chloebud
    7 years ago

Lemon (Meyer and Eureka), lime and avocado.

Soltech Solutions thanked chloebud
  • John M
    7 years ago

Love my avocado! Considering an olive tree next

Soltech Solutions thanked John M
  • PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Love the photos chloebud! How long ago were they planted?

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    7 years ago

None of the above, but I would love an avocado tree.

• chloebud
    7 years ago

Soltech, they were here when we bought the house a few years ago. I can tell you the lemon tree in the photo is really old but still doing great. Our gardener thinks the Hass avocado tree is maybe 10 years old or so.

Soltech Solutions thanked chloebud
  • minjeeah
    7 years ago
    I agree on avocado tree but we can't grow one because it gets really tall and our house isn't big enough for one. Big I love avocado trees!
  • minjeeah
    7 years ago
    But not big
  • chloebud
    7 years ago

They also like plenty of water which has been an issue for us here in Southern CA.

• minjeeah
    7 years ago
    Really?!..
    I knew they liked water.
    How much water do they get or need?
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My dad an my uncle do gardening as a hobby. They do a technique called grafting. Its where you take a branch from one tree and stick it on another just as long as they are in the same family. Same with citrus trees. You can google grafting. One tree grows many different types of fruits. They have one tree growing apples, pears, peach, cherries, and avacados. All on one tree. When I first saw I couldn't believe my eyes. lol You can do the same with lemon, limes, and oranges, i think.

• chloebud
    7 years ago

minjeeah, during the summer we leave the hose running (very low) on our tree for several hours...sometimes overnight...once a week. Twice a week would probably be better with the heat. This time of year is different, especially with the rain we've had this winter. No hose has been running on it for quite awhile. I think I read somewhere avocado trees like about 50" of rain per year. Hmmm...not here in Southern CA this past year!

• minjeeah
    7 years ago
    See we don't get that much ☔️ rain!..
  • minjeeah
    7 years ago
    What kind of plants do you have?
  • MaWizz
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

avacado, atemoya, fig, lime, mango, ponderosa lemon, lemon and lime combo, and starfruit. i had to go in order from front of house to back so i wouldn't forget any lol oh and had an orange but it was diseased.

• adriennecolella
    7 years ago
    I have lemon, lime, satsuma, and fig trees planted in large pots in my courtyard. They all do well.
  • minjeeah
    7 years ago
    Satuma? What's that? Never heard of it before!
  • PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    Original Author
    7 years ago

adriennecolella and MaWizz, we have a dwarf fig tree in our workshop and absolutely love it! Figs are a classic.

And Tony Montana, we just started experimenting with grafting ourselves. The results of grafting are incredible!

• chloebud
    7 years ago

Pretty sure a satsuma is a variety of Mandarin orange.

• minjeeah
    7 years ago
    Ok. Cool!
  • MaWizz
    7 years ago

Yes the the figs are classic the trick for me is to get them before the squirrels and birds! I have so much fruit in general ... I give a lot away. People that come to visit love all the trees on our property b/c they get a bag of what ever is producing at that time :)

• minjeeah
    7 years ago
    Mawizz I have never ever heard of them!!! But thanks for sharing about them.!!
    West kind of plants do you have? Mawizz
  • MaWizz
    7 years ago

minjeeah i have too many to name all. all tropicals, but some include: Cordyline 'red sister', umbrella plants, Ixora's, purple wandering jew, blue plumbago to name a few

• minjeeah
    7 years ago
    Mawizz never heard of any of those!.
  • PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    Original Author
    7 years ago

MaWizz, we'll definitely have to try some of those. Love the tropicals. They really brighten up our home and office. Feels like we're on vacation!

• minjeeah
    7 years ago
    This weather is so amazing where I live is amazing!! Especially in March!
  • PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jealous. Pretty cold in Pennsylvania right now. Where are you located minjeeah?

• minjeeah
    7 years ago

Can I say on here?

• PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Haha well we're in Zone 6b

• minjeeah
    7 years ago

I actually don't know what zone I am in. I should look.

Whst kind of plants do you have ?

• minjeeah
    7 years ago

What not whst

• minjeeah
    7 years ago

I like any plants!

Tulips is one.

• PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tulips are great! We're starting to grow some indoors this year

• minjeeah
    7 years ago

What color tulips?

• minjeeah
    7 years ago

Have you ever grown green beans?

we have tried and have never had any secses.

Have you ever heard of raised beds? We put them in that and planted them and they never grew.

do you have any segestions?

• Kelley_GA8a
    6 years ago

I have several citrus seedlings and One cutting currently growing indoors for the winter and an in ground Arbequina olive tree. After visiting Italy and Greece, I had to incorporate a little of the Mediterranean in my home :)

• Gayle Greenzaid
    6 years ago

I 'm in zone 8a. Outdoors, I have 2 Russian pomegranate trees, 5 blueberry bushes of multiple varieties, one Italian fig tree, one compact raspberry bush, a monstrous 40'x10' blackberry bramble and one key lime tree that may not survive this winter due to unusually cold temperatures. I knew I was pushing the envelope, planting it outside in this zone, but I was optimistic. Indoors, I am growing one key lime tree and one Meyer lemon tree. I am having a problem with the indoor lime tree dropping leaves and I'm worried it will start dropping fruit.

Anyone have suggestions on how to cure my poor tree?

• PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hey Gayle,

What an incredible variety of plants! That's something a gardener's dreams are made of. I miss my old Italian fig tree.

How much light is your key lime tree is getting?

• CJ Walsh
    6 years ago

When our house is done being built I want to get a fuyu tree. My husband loves persimmons and our climate is perfect for them; 9b. I wish we could grow apples but it's just too hot in FL. Maybe a peach tree too

• PRO
    Soltech Solutions
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That sounds awesome! We'd love to try a fuyu tree. And I grew up with peach trees so they're a favorite around here. We actually grew one in our office before gifting it to a friend. And that is pretty hot. You could try growing the apple tree indoors. That'd be sure to wow guests!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

3 New Zealand lemonade. 1 in ground 2 potted

2 Fukushu kumquat. 1 in ground 1 potted

1` Valentine pomelo. in ground

5 Meiwa kumquat. all in pots

5 peach in ground

3 pear in ground

2 sour cherry in ground

3 sweet cherry in ground

3 nanking cherry in ground

1 kiwi self pollinating in ground

7 hardy chicago fig 1 in pot, 2 in ground, 5 on rooftop

8 blueberry 5 in ground, 2 on roof top, 1 potted

1 loquat. in pot

• Momof5x
    4 years ago

In our home garden ( which is pretty big) we have lemons, some herbs like mint, and date palms. At our farm; we have groves of date palms, lemon trees; herbs, cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbages etc plus more growing in canvas type green houses.

• Maru, 5b
    4 years ago

Soltech, Where did you get your calamondin? Is it a dwarf?

I'd like to get a dwarf calamondin to grow indoors.

• Susan Highland USDA Zone 9b
    3 years ago

No trees inside. Outside: Apple, 35 figs, Macadamia, 4 blood oranges, 2 lemons, 3 regular oranges, 2 pomegranates, 1 mango, 1 tangelo, 1 Mulberry, 1 Avocado. I think that's it.

• LADD ST.CLAIR
    3 years ago

TWO Olive Trees, & ONE Columbian COFFEE TREE