Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
igner11

turning this house into nice loft or little modern country house.

Michal
11 years ago
Do you have any ideas,pictures,experience about turning houses like this into something very interesting? I like the big space and 2hektars around the house. I like the bricks and the stone on a little one.i live in Poland and i cant find many architects whodid simmilar stuff. Feel free to write to my email with any help ,pictures and so on. I want it to be simple,but worm as far as look like also the energosave house.imlike open space big living room with kitchen as main part of the house.thanks to everybody.;)

Comments (66)

• PRO
    TEXWOOD DESIGNS INC.
    11 years ago
    maybe you can get some ideas from my stuff.
  • PRO
    Deborah Argyropoulos Fine Art
    11 years ago
    THIS IS MY DREAM STUDIO!
  • PRO
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I know what you mean Deborah! I want one!
  • PRO
    TEXWOOD DESIGNS INC.
    11 years ago
    metal roof it. custom made wood windows. shiplap flooring. sliding glass doors .. one of my kitchens and your set.!!!!!!
  • PRO
    Deborah Argyropoulos Fine Art
    11 years ago
    Kevin- are you an artist?
  • Kevin Retired Decorator
    11 years ago
    Which Kevin ? lol
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Deborah, (Kevin #2) I have a studio at the beach "unplugged" where I work on design projects. Always wanted a "barn" to play in. This project is amazing but full of challenges as noted. Best advice go into it with eyes open, and heart to see it through.
  • Brenda
    11 years ago
    what a stunning space you have to work with! I have no suggestions for you, but I cannot wait to see the results!
  • PRO
    Buckner Construction Inc.
    11 years ago
    I like to idea of doing modern on the inside, but I might suggest using natural materials to finish the interior. Like lime plaster, natural stone, soapstone countertops, this will tie the building together with the feel and look of a modern finish, but with using materials that are normally used in a structure like this.
  • demi_elle2000
    11 years ago
    Modern country home would suite the outdoor atmosphere :)
  • mveasey
    11 years ago
    You say you are in Poland. If you speak German at all, there are articles in " schöner wohnen" magazine / website, see photo.
    There is also a book by Thomas Drexel called "Faszination Bauernhof" which means "farm fascination". Hope that helps!
  • mveasey
    11 years ago
    Sorry the book is called "Faszination Bauernhaus" which is more a farm or country house. You might be able to hire some German architects or tradespeople, even just for advice, not necessarily the work. Best of luck!
  • Michal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all for opinions and sugestions.it is very helpful to see that others has also wide mind and fun ideas. I realise the hard part of it. I know that sometimes is easier to build it from the ground that renovate and restore.but it is the same like with the old cars that i love. New one doesnt have the soul and where is the satisfaction of bringing the history of putting little brain and heart to it. I want to have open space for family time but not to huge because poland is getting pretty cold in winters and will be difficult to keep warm at all time. I will think about all the new technology like warm pumps,recuperators,solars and good fireplace. It would be nice to have windmil to have extr electricity.i want to make the house ergonomic bu putting good windows isolate the walls and so on. I have no idea how much it can cost. is all depend of what you want to put inside and out.I just worry a little about that there is 3 flors to the roof in the big building and 2 would may be better. I havent buy the place yet but i am first in the line;) The yard is big and green even with tennis court and volleyball court prepare;) somebody wanted to do a agroturistic place but i guess resigned. Any more ideas and links would be perfect and welcome. I checked some of you web sites and you are great of what you doing. Thanks and later..i go back to thinking...;)
  • Michal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here is some more photos from inside...
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Igner11, the photos are amazing! And very exciting to hear you talk of "soul" in buildings. You know I try hard with new architecture to develop a "story" when starting from scratch. Most new structures lack personality and character! I know why you are drawn to this... Enjoy...
  • Michal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    And to libradesigneye.yes the house has great water right by the house,mineral from the ground,electric system available,sevage system and in future gas system. I am looking for ideas because i see it in my head a little what i want but put it together without experiance is very difficult for now. I am looking for things to go for or against. I have also a nice yard with the view on the lake but not much room around with other houses. I want to feel totally free so nobody has no idea what i am doing;))
  • Michal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I like your work Kevin. I know what you talking about. I also build some apartments (i am not architect but doing it part as hobby part as income)and while doing it wanted that people can feel little diferent. is easier maybe to build one house then 80 little apartment but the most interesting for me is to restore an old one;)i know that you want to meet people expectations you see the land you know the style they like and so on but restoring this is like adapting to what already have happend . You have to walk thru and in it ,thinking how to change it and how to make it work from what its left ,in this case some big ,probably old german house. Is not very uniqe building or place but i feel somhere that something nice may happen to this one;)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    It's exciting to hear you talk of this building like you are talking about a friend. You have a "soul connection" with it! It will be fun to see you progress. Please update houzz with your progress photos and write about your challenges. I think people would enjoy that, I know I will! Have fun!
  • Dee Gould
    11 years ago
    I love your new home...landscape? Great!...modren interior would be perfect with a twist of rustic just to pay homage to the exterior..just dont over do rustic...oh my what fun it will be to decorate...looking forward to all the after photos....
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    I would keep as much of the original stone walls on the interior as is possible and do everything else quite contemporary, with chrome and stainless steel finishes. I know that contemporary design is popular in Poland so you should have no problem finding what you need. best of luck!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Exactly Carolyn, those stone walls are amazing! This would be a fun project!
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    What an absolutely wonderful building. I can see a very contemporary home inside that exterior. Such great wood beams and stone walls. This would be a real delight to design. I am quite jealous I would love to be on the team that brings this project to life.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Yes it would be cool to work on this barn! Wish I could find something like this in California! We have old barns but not with this much great stone work!!
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Kevin...you'd have nothing left after the engineers got finished with you!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Good point ironwood! Sadly many a great project goes "south" when reality rears it's ugly head! Maybe in Poland common sense prevails? Or maybe the Building Code is more "user-friendly"? ....I can dream can't I ?
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Oh, I think Poland doesn't have our problems with the shifting tectonic plates, no? There are some gorgeous stone barns in Napa and Sonoma...they are pretty much just architectural follies (in the Victorian sense of the word) at this point as earthquake retrofit is out of the question.
  • PRO
    TEXWOOD DESIGNS INC.
    11 years ago
    Walk up this staircases
  • PRO
    TEXWOOD DESIGNS INC.
    11 years ago
    I love this
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I guess your right ironwood, maybe fly low under the radar and live on the edge and RUN when the earth starts moving!! At least it would look cool (while its standing)!!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Perhaps, Kevin, you need a vacation home in Poland...or France or Italy.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Thanks Carolyn, or maybe friends with vacation homes?
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Friends with money, Kevin!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    My solution is to rent houses in Europe, with friends or just family.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    That works Carolyn, just be sure to bring your "friends with money" along!!
  • Michal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I just watched that and it gave me a new idea of my place;) amazing results.chech this out
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xm27a8_grand-designs-s09e01-the-apprentice-store-somerset_tech#.UYVS7IwaySM
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    10 years ago
    igner11, that was a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon! Thanks so much for the link and it really does provide a look into the potential of your barn! I think they got off cheap at just over a million pounds!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    @igner11, amazing! Thank you for that link. Following the heart gets us into trouble, but quality of life in the end is all that matters. Thanks again for the inspiration! Good luck, enjoy ....
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    10 years ago
    what a wonderful building and site. Kevin Patrick O,Brian's comments are spot on. I agree that going with a contemporary interior could be striking but I would use bronze, antique brass or silver nickel rather than polished chrome as a metal.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Thanks @tres, hey watch that link posted by igner11, on post above! Very cool!! Almost scary if you read back thru the thread after you watch the show! We houzzers are crazy good!
    10 years ago
    I don't see this as a "barn" at all but more of a country manor looking home. With possibly a attached shelter for the animals and or servants in the smaller part. ??? But Barn ??? Nah IMHO
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hey Kevin (#1), if you get a chance watch the link that igner11 posted above! Great documentary of a young couple in the UK restoring a 200 year old stone "factory" building and converting it into a home with "soul"! Very cool.
    10 years ago
    Thanks Kevin O'Brien I will check it out asap K
  • Michal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    hello Guys:) long time and many new ideas went thru my head. i finish one of my old projects and now i am back to idea of renovating this "beauty". i am a step of buying it and in few weeks starting to make plans and ideas. this link below inspired me of how more or less this thing has to look like:))
    what you think???
    any ideas welcome…
    http://www.interiordesign2014.com/other-ideas/modern-renovation-restores-historic-private-estate-in-philadelphia/
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    That will work!!!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Oh, Igner, that's a beautiful inspiration house. I love almost everything about it except for the iron staircase railings which seem too ornate for the rest of the house. I will be one of many people looking forward to seeing reports of your progress!
    Carolyn
  • PRO
    Leicht Westchester-Greenwich
    10 years ago
    Hi igner11,
    That home looks exactly what you describe you want. Here are some loft style kitchen ideas you may like:
    COLLECTION: Marchi Kitchens: Vintage Style · More Info

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

If you're in the area, come join us for breakfast and our free class every first Saturday of the month on kitchen budgeting: http://leichtwestchester.com/how-much-will-your-kitchen-cost-class-registration

Best of luck! Post photos as it progresses.
    If you have any questions feel free to write us!
  • Michal
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks Guys. my biggest concern is how to make such a house"warm" i mean i live in Poland and is pretty damn cold sometimes:) i have no experience about isolating brick and stone houses. big house i dont mind to cover in whatever it takes but the stone one i want to keep as it is outside. by the way i want to make my living room and kitchen in that stone house all the way up to the top ,open space big place. on the other building will be all the badrooms and other things. i want to open both buildings to outside wich is very green . big windows will be great but but trying to keep good taste of old buidings.it will be a big challange to connect botch roles. i want to connect both buildings witch glass only so it will give an softer look,and crazy look from inside.
    isulation bu the way is my biggest concern for now. how to make this house as warm as possible so i can save energy , money and green:)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Our builders can give you ideas on insulation solutions.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 years ago
    I did not read all the previous comments, but you should invest in a local architect that can experience first hand the feel of the building and it's surounds. The ideas to renovate and old structure should be inspired by the building itself. Applying ideas that evolved from other structure can be superficial and pretentious. I know of an architect in Poland if you need one.
  • PRO
    Eldorado Stone
    10 years ago
    Hi there! Adding a touch of brick or stone to your home could be a great way to go given the surrounding that your home is in. Feel free to explore our products and design galleries to see how people with similar design dilemmas have made over their homes! Here's a link to our design galleries: http://www.eldoradostone.com/imagine/ and here is a link to our products: http://www.eldoradostone.com/products/ . Hope this helps!