Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turtleturtlemeow

Rotting Venus Fly Trap?

Turtleturtlemeow
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I just bought a small venus fly trap, but I just noticed that more than half of the traps are brown and mushy where they were touching the mossy potting medium. I put a tissue beneath them to get the traps off the moss, but I don't know if that is really the issue. I have had it for a day and I do not know much about how they were kept before.

TL;DR Is it possible for the traps of a venus fly trap to rot from resting on soggy potting medium?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    7 years ago

How are you keeping them? How much SUN? What kid of water and are they in a shallow water tray or are you top watering? The traps should NOT rot resting on the soil.

• Turtleturtlemeow
    Original Author
    7 years ago

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gubler-6-oz-Carnivorous-Plant-in-Planter-Greenhouse/3633922 I bought this. I do not know how it is kept typically and I have had it for just over a day. All of the pads were curled down or to the side to the point that they were pressed against the soil. Most of the leaves were not limp, they were just kept in that position long enough that they took that shape.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    7 years ago

You didn't answer my questions. Take the cover off also.

• Turtleturtlemeow
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I took the cover off as soon as I noticed the issue. I have had it for a day and have not watered it. I am keeping it in a place where it gets bright, but indirect sun most of the day, but about 4-6 hours of direct sun. It is not in a water tray, but I do not know how it was kept. I did not answer these questions before because the plant did not spontaneously rot as soon as I brought it home, so the conditions I keep it in are irrelevant to the issues it is having, it is more an issue of where it was kept and I am ignorant of that information. Thanks.

• Turtleturtlemeow
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update: It is getting more droopy. When I first got it, before I noticed what I am assuming to be rot, I fed it a small aphid. The leaf just opened up again and it looks like the aphid is still whole.

• Turtleturtlemeow
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, I forgot about that. Why not aphids?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    7 years ago

Aphids ATTACK flytraps.

Turtleturtlemeow thanked tommyr_gw Zone 6
  • CherylM Leiby
    7 years ago

how do you grow them from seed , anyone know?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    7 years ago

You place the seed on TOP of moist CP soil mix (do NOT cover). keep moist under a daylight spectrum light. They grow fairly slowly.

• CherylM Leiby
    7 years ago

THANK-YOU

• Turtleturtlemeow
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update: It has stopped rotting and is growing, but it is still not as upright as I would like. I am attributing this to less than optimal sun. I have also repotted it.

• raestr (z8 Central Ala)
    7 years ago

I think your fly trap is just adjusting to the trauma of having multiple growing locations in a short amount of time (and having to live under that plastic cover at the store). I would be surprised if a fly trap rotted as I don't think it is possible to over-water them. You aren't suppose to let them completely dry out. The traps don't last very long and they do turn black. As long as you are seeing new growth, your fly trap is fine. Do not give it tap water because of the salts in tap water (although mine got some tap water last summer when it didn't rain for two months). My fly trap is not "upright" either, but it has grown in circumference. Mine doesn't go dormant during the winter either and I leave outside year-round. I just make sure it stays moist. I would think in your zone, it would do best outside. I don't feed mine bugs either and it does just fine. I assume it eats some on its own, but I don't really know. I do know it tried to eat a couple of snails last summer that crawled onto it. I picked them out of the traps because I knew it could digest the shells. Hopefully, yours is doing better by now.

Turtleturtlemeow thanked raestr (z8 Central Ala)
  • Turtleturtlemeow
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It does seem to be doing better and it has a bunch of new growth. Thanks.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living