Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lokisadie

Small Space Barn Door

lokisadie
7 years ago

I want to get rid of the standard door and replace it with a barn door. The problem is that it's a very tight space with a step on one side of the doorway, and only 23" on the other side. I'm interested in possibly a bypass barn door system with maybe 2 x 20" doors. Has anybody else done this? Any recommendations for suppliers? Or any other suggestions are appreciated.

Comments (22)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Imo this is not the spot for a barn door.

Do you want a change in this space, or do you just love barn doors and this is the only spot you would have to put one?

• PRO
    Circle Goods Reclaimed
    7 years ago

Yeah the issue in this spot is best case the door would always be covering half that doorway. If you want the barn door look I'd consider another spot in the house.

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

Do you need a door there at all? It looks like the entry to a mud room. Maybe just take the door down.

• auntthelma
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have seen sliding wall panels that will do what you propose. Two can slide into the small space and spread to cover the door.

Are you looking for a solution to the swinging door getting in the way? Or are you looking for a barn door because you want a barn door?

Adjustable Sliding Panel, French Oolong, 78"x96" · More Info

• lokisadie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I want to get rid of the standard door to utilize the wall space behind it. Small mudroom tight on space, and I need shoe storage :-) But I also want to close the door if necessary. Something like this, but smaller doors to fit in the small space.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

It's cute Beth H., but OP has that step on the left; left hand barn door would only open a few inches :(

You could change the doorswing, to open into the entrance instead. Or put shoe racks on the back of the door. Or use a curtain instead.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

oh shoot! Missed that step thing. well, sliding barn door is out. no way to make this work, unless you cut out the door to fit over the step!

• Jes
    7 years ago
    it looks as if the only option is the one you posted. Being you have the step on the left with only 8 inches between step and doorway, you're very limited. I'd personally search Craigslist or find a local carpenter to build custom doors. Good luck!
  • User
    7 years ago

Rustica Hardware could be a good resource. They design hardware (and I think doors, too) to your specs. At least for me, their customer support was awesome. They made sure that we had the proper floor support (going into polished concrete), that the size of the hardware was exact to the design specs- everything. I didn't, however, get my door from them, as it was made from the same people who did all the rest of the interior doors.

From a layperson's view, I think your biggest challenge may be the size of the doorway in comparison to the space you have to slide it over. I don't see that as workable- either the door won't cover the doorway completely or you won't be able to open it all the way. But who knows?

Whatever you do, I don't suggest that the install be a DIY, unless you are a pro.

EDIT: BTW, Rustica Hardware has a big range of prices. You can find great options, though. Just have to ask.

• djrohrer
    7 years ago
    I hate when everyone jumps on a trend... example: barn doors
    Chevron pattern
    Glass wall tiles
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Hang a bead curtain

• Bailey R
    7 years ago

WHY a barn door there??? Inappropriate for that space.

• Bailey R
    7 years ago

Djrohrer .... you'd love a friend of mine 's house, she follows every trend to the nth degree. Right now her house has barn doors all over, message "art" covering the walls (outdoors too). & & a commercial style faucet in her kitchen that must be almost 3 feet high! & lots more things too numerous to mention.

• lokisadie
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you everybody for your response. To clarify, it doesn't need to be a barn door, but the sliding aspect of the barn door would meet my needs of freeing up the wall space behind the existing door. I would prefer not not have bifold closet doors, and changing the direction of the regular door just wouldn't work in the space. I welcome any other suggestions you might have. Thanks again
  • skmom
    7 years ago
    What if you took the door off the hinges and added a curtain... maybe a canvas curtain.
  • Sammy
    7 years ago

How about double doors?

Or double pocket doors?

Or one pocket door?

• djrohrer
    7 years ago
    BAILEY R..... how could I have left off the hideous "writing on the walls"?!!!! Lol
    We were at one of my husbands fellow workers houses awhile back and I had been told to keep a poker face and not look as though I was going to barf all I could think of was a old song called Crodachrome by Paul Simon " I can see the writing on the walls" ( a line from song)
    Why do people duplicate and follow every stinking copy cat trend? What's with nailing pilot boards to everything and making furniture out of it? SPLINTERS I'm sure. Love Joanna Gains but a tad too much overuse of shipboard for me.
  • lokisadie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks again everybody - I think I might go with a single full access bi-fold door instead.

• acm
    7 years ago

Can you do a pocket door into the stairwell side?

• tobindunnjd
    3 years ago

What did you end up with?

• Corinne Clawson
    2 years ago

I have the same issue and want to do a bypass barn door. 38 wide door frame with 17 on the right. Thinking if 2 24 inch bypass to open to stock once open for a passthrough of 30 inches.