Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevin_johnson36

Indigo Kumquat

PcolaGrower
7 years ago

Just seeing if anyone has grown this one. I'm currently growing it and the plants look healthy, but have a super dark stem to them. I'll take a picture when I get home.

Comments (12)

• PcolaGrower
    Original Author
    7 years ago

They have the exact same conditions as other varieties, so I'm not sure why the stem is so dark. All of the Indigo Kumquat are like this. I know it's probably nothing to be concerned with. So do some varieties have dark stems or?

• PcolaGrower
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sounds good. Thanks.

• Barrie, (Central PA, zone 6a)
    7 years ago

Your plants are not showing a phosphorus deficiency. All of the Indigo series will have this trait. Indigo Kumquat is a beautiful grape tomato, when ripe, with mostly amber-yellow fruit color. And probably the best flavor of any of the Indigo series.

PcolaGrower thanked Barrie, (Central PA, zone 6a)
  • PcolaGrower
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Barrier, I'm super excited to try it out, glad it's one of the better ones out. The plants are definitely healthy looking besides that dark stems, good to know it's a trait of that variety. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks again

• PcolaGrower
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So some of my Indigo Kumquat plants are really weird looking. I'm not sure if they have a disease or what is up. They are super purple. Any thoughts?

• janice8bcharlestonsc
    7 years ago

I have an Indigo Apple. Definitely showing different colors.

PcolaGrower thanked janice8bcharlestonsc
  • gorbelly
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Anthocyanin is a natural defense against cold temps. In my observations, high-anthocyanin tomatoes have that much more ability to produce anthocyanin under cold stress. (Although, even in the full heat of summer, my black beauty plant had purple shading on many of its stems, purple pigmented "dots", and a faint overlay of purple pigment in the leaves that made them look a fairly deep hunter green. The foliage is definitely a different color from other tomatoes.)

They never got the pronounced purple veins like that, but your variety may behave differently. I would be on the lookout for deformed foliage (small, curly, etc.). If not deformed, then I would suspect it's either normal or normal for a hi-antho variety that just experienced some unusual cold stress.

PcolaGrower thanked gorbelly
  • janice8bcharlestonsc
    7 years ago

More recent Photos of the two Indigo Apples I have. The first one was planted out 7 Mar. and the second one was planted put yesterday. Needless to say the first one has been exposed to a lot more cold weather, also a lot more sun.

• PcolaGrower
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My Indigo Kumquat started to set fruit, and it is definitely blueish-purple like. Pretty cool looking, different.

• janice8bcharlestonsc
    7 years ago

Nice. Maybe my Indigo Apple will do something similar.

PcolaGrower thanked janice8bcharlestonsc
  • cranefire
    6 years ago

How did the crop turn out for you, PcolaGrower?

I'm commenting here for the benefit of anyone considering growing this
    in 2018. I grew Indigo Kumquat last year and, in spite of the negative
    opinions I'd read about the Kumquat series, Indigo was the star
    performer of my garden. The flavor was rich and fruity, it was
    hyperproductive, and it was the very last to succumb to end-of-season
    diseases by a full month. The fruit is gorgeous, also. It does tend to
    drop some fruit before they're fully ripened, but I found that if
    they're retrieved within a day or two and left to ripen off the vine
    they quickly will. (They're ripe when the indigo shoulders deepen beyond
    a blush.) They did have red-black stems from the seedling stage and
    this trait lasted through maturity.

Sponsored