Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yasminwallace

Remodeling a kitchen is stressful!

yasminwallace
7 years ago

Please ignore my terrible amateur design skills, but we still cannot decide which layout we like the best. Currently our kitchen layout has a very narrow and deep pantry next to the smaller window on the left. Our wish is to make the pantry bigger and install cabinets under the window where there is currently nothing. More cabinet space is what would make me happy. However, I'm worried that the pantry breaks up the space too much so I was looking to relocate it by either closing off the window or switching it with the fridge so that it's not in the middle of the counterspace. Don't mind the bottom cabinets too much as those details are yet to be determined and I wasn't able to add a microwave or dishwasher with the program I was using.

Comments (13)

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    This design is awful. Why are your refrigerator and cooktop smashed into the corner?
  • yasminwallace
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I have no idea, but that's how it was designed. Originally there was a microwave/double oven to the right of where the skinny pantry is, but the range was still next to the fridge.
  • sunshine home
    7 years ago

Where are you getting your cabinets from?

• yasminwallace
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Most likely custom
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Start OVER.

Rather than these elevated program "drawings", do a flat on paper plan showing all dimensions of the room. The ENTIRE room. Include existing windows, and entryways to the space, and inform us of what are adjacent/behind spaces. Post it here. Trust me, none of the above are good. Post a photo of the existing kitchen as well.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

I agree an actual floor plan is always the best IMO for beginning to design a kitchen. IMO you need to have a good KD along for this . I would not block off a window for a pantry , the range should go on the wall between the windows to be on an outside wall there are just better ways to design this space.

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    For instance you could put your cooktop with a beautiful hood in between the two windows flanked by upper storage cabinets and it would be the show stopper for the room.
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Or even something like this with no windows
  • yasminwallace
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here's a photo of our current layout. The only difference is that we painted the walls a light gray and the floors are now wood.
  • acm
    7 years ago

I like #2 with the fridge moved right up against the pantry so that you end up with nice space around the stove. But that depends on whether you're really willing to get rid of the window, and/or really don't want to move any of the main water and gas lines -- otherwise, stove between the windows, fridge surrounded by pantry cabinets seems the best, and you continue the counter across under the window. It's hard sometimes to think in "from scratch" terms...

• sunshine home
    7 years ago

Your current kitchen is very nice, have you thought about having them refaced?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What is your hesitation in putting a sketch up with room dimensions? Without room dimensions.......as above, it's just idle conjecture on my part : ) and everyone else's as well. If you called a kitchen designer to your home, they'd bring A TAPE MEASURE.