Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
albspam

Want to help me pick a bathroom floor?

albspam
7 years ago

We know the style of vanity we want but not the color. It's based on what flooring looks best with it. I've got 3 flooring options with 3 different colors of vanities.

Comments (16)

• albspam
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks risforremodel. Does it change your mind that we have a classic double slipper cast iron clawfoot tub across from the vanity? I know the vanity isn't traditional, it's "transitional" but I still love the old vintage feel. The clawfoot will also have small chandelier over it. I know, I'm mixing styles...

• risforremodel
    7 years ago

Yes, that is probably changing it. I need a little more information. Is vanity #2 a deep brown color or actually black? Is floor #2 actually driftwood in color and does it have a prominent grain or knot look to it?

• albspam
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Vanity #2 is espresso. The wood floor is still up in the air. I prefer a deeper brown while DH likes the lighter wood color. We're open. thanks!

• Rena
    7 years ago

# 2 in my opinon. Just at a visual level. Classy + elegant. The whites are timeless but #2 my fav

• FeatherBee
    7 years ago

Is #2 a faux looking hardwood? If so, and if you're doing real hardwood elsewhere in the house then I'd pass.

• albspam
    Original Author
    7 years ago

FeatherBee - it will be porcelain. Hardwood downstairs but all the bedrooms on this floor will have carpet.

• FeatherBee
    7 years ago

Okay, as long as the porcelain isn't touching real hardwood then you should be fine. I was in a house the other day that had hardwood looking tile in the kitchen but then real wood in the living room. The two touched and looked awful.

But if your tile will touch carpet then you're fine in my opinion :)

The first option looks very trendy to me, but I do like it. The 2nd option will look good and I assume you could get away with darker grout which is a plus to me (white grout scares me). I also like the last option.

I prefer contrast. So seeing a darker tile against a white tub would look great to me. The other options work too. I'd just be cautious with light grout if you're not sure you can keep it clean.

• albspam
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, definitely on the darker grout. I'm leaning towards the wood looking porcelain as I really want to stay away from marble as I am the worst at cleaning and maintenance :). I love the look of marble but feel its so cold but we're putting a lot into the bathroom so didn't want to feel like we're skimping on the tile. I'm leaning towards #2 with the espresso but DH likes #1 with the grey vanity.

• risforremodel
    7 years ago

Knowing that floor #1 is marble, I pick floor #2. (plus I prefer the look of wood tile versus the herringbone pattern) Unless your chandelier is shabby chic, I would avoid a wood-look tile that has a wide oak-look grain or knots and instead choose one with a grain more like maple. Depending on the shade of the wood-look tile you could go with vanity 2 or 3. I think vanity 1 is less timeless. I personally prefer vanity 2 and think that with a white-toned countertop it would tie in well with the white tub and toilet. Ultimately please remember to pick what YOU like best, not what any of us like best because it is your money you are spending on your bathroom and you should love it! Good luck!

albspam thanked risforremodel
  • roarah
    7 years ago

I like the marble herringbone, but would not use real marble. I used imarmi porcelain marble in my shower and they have a nice herringbone mosaic available that is very lovely.http://www.ceramictileworksmn.com/I_Marmi

If you do wood tile what are you thinking of using in the shower?

I also was going to suggest a compromise if you like a herringbone pattern that maybe lay the larger wood tile in a herringbone. It would be less busy than the smaller tile...

albspam thanked roarah
  • albspam
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi All - if anyone is still looking at this thread, would love comments on where I think we're ending up. Going with more white polished tiles w/an inset w/a basketweave inset with a black boarder. Going with the espresso vanity. Planning a white and blue steam shower. and maybe changing the grey walls to a navy. See pics and any comments would be great.

• Christine
    7 years ago

@FeatherBee, I plan on putting porcelain wood-looking tile in my kitchen which will be next to real wood floors in my living & dining room. I'm going with a much darker tile to give contrast. I'm not trying to match existing wood floor but now you have me worried it will look awful. Yikes!

• FeatherBee
    7 years ago

Christine - You do what makes you happy :) Seriously, designing spaces with things you love is the secret to a creating a space well enjoyed.

You mentioned your tile is much darker from the real wood so I'm sure it will look great. I'm a big fan of contrast.

The home I saw recently did similar color tile that touched the real hardwood, and it wasn't level. The whole house was a let down so I'm sure that's playing a role in my opinion. Whoever took the pictures for this listing deserved an Oscar. In person, the house looked awful and it wasn't just the floor choices.

• FeatherBee
    7 years ago

albspam - Bold choice with the blue tile. Some with love it some will not. I'm on the fence but definitely think it's possible to look amazing once it's all done. Just remember, the bolder the choices, the more quickly they could go out of style.. Just my opinion of course. Like I said to others, do what makes you happy. That's the mindset I stuck with and I love my new bathroom.

albspam thanked FeatherBee
  • risforremodel
    7 years ago

I am not sure about the blue tile-will it only be on the pony wall? I am also wondering if the shades of blue will complement the shade of navy walls. As long as they are complementary colors and the shower has a light so the blue tile doesn't make it get too dark in there, then it will probably look great. Like FeatherBee said, you should do what makes you happy. If you are the type of person that after a few years you would get tired of bright blues and want to change, then you shouldn't do the tile, but otherwise, why not?