Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelcheex

Mirror - yay or nay?

Home
7 years ago
I'm on the fence with this mirror. I'm thinking of buying it to put over the fireplace in my formal living. It's 6 ft tall. Not sure if it's too much for the room. Thoughts?

Comments (41)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

I'm not a pro. I say do it! :)

• Bev
    7 years ago

It will help dress up the naked wall above the fireplace! Beautiful mirror!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

It wouldn't be my choice. Kind of overwhelms the scale of everything.

• leelee
    7 years ago

It's going to be hung too high to reflect anything but the white ceiling.

Go for art to add color and interest to your home.

Get rid of all the small things on the mantel--yes all of it.

• Home
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback! The room isn't done - I just moved. Stuff on the mantel is moving (just needs a surface to hold it for now), putting art and/or a 4 ft arched mirror over the sofa. Slowly putting stuff in its place just don't have something large enough for the fireplace.
  • anitaladyrose
    7 years ago

Yes! I like it. If you like it, buy it and enjoy!

• Michelle de Guzman
    7 years ago
    I would say YAY! The mirror has a very decorative style and would be a nice focal point against that wall above your fireplace. If your fireplace design was busy then I would say no but, you have nice clean lines to work with so the mirror isn't competing or clashing with anything. It's a nice addition to the theme you're going with in your living room.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

With one caveat: if you do this mirror over the mantle, don't use any other mirrors in the room. So art over the couch.

• Home
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Totally agree, Lindsey! Also I love the mirror and although the mantle may or may not be the best place for it, I may just buy it and find another spot for it.
  • lovemrmewey
    7 years ago

Love this mirror! If you decide against the fireplace wall, find another wall! It is so different, I want to ask you the site for it, but would that be rude?

Share the source if you like, thanks very much!

• ackcx3
    7 years ago
    I love it! It looks Thai, Khmer, or some kind of SE Asian...
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

I think that any of these mirrors would be better in that space.

• teamaltese
    7 years ago
    I love the mirror. I normally agree that the mirror should reflect a view, and not just the walls of the room, but this is the exception. I'd hang it on the fireplace, but no other mantle decor, except for the winter holidays, and then festoon the mantle with greens, ribbon and ornaments. Great find!
  • PRO
    Niche Interiors
    7 years ago

I would pass and look for something a little less ornate and taller to fill that space. Good luck!

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

It looks like it might reflect the hanging light fixture by the door--hard to tell with the angle from which the picture was taken. It will certainly bounce a lot of light around the room. I still say YAY!!

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

i like the mirror but 6' is really pretty tall to hang up there.

why dont you mark the space with blue painters tape and take another picture. you might even fill in the outline with aluminum foil (dull side out) and see if it feels like it looms over you.

its a pain to get it hanging up there and not like it after all.

• Home
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So I got it! Love it! A little big but def has wow factor when u walk in the door. Now to dress up the walls and change that ceiling fan! Thank you all for your input!
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Yes! Bring the colour to the coffee table with a brass tray

Uttermost Bevan Gold Oval Tray · More Info

Maryanne Tray, Large · More Info

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Some subtle colour with lamps?

Kirkly Ceramic Table Lamp · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Now you need a nice chandelier instead of the builder fan. The mirror reflecting a interesting coordinating fixture would be great. I will find a couple for you to consider.
  • Home
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Great tips - thank you! I considered a chandelier but a fan is a necessity in hot Arizona. Looking at a nice a dark wood, kinda simple looking 68" blade fan. The one in the pic.
  • klewisbain
    7 years ago

I think it would look fabulous. I wouldn't hang it too high and I would hang it a bit loose so that it tilts forward into the room a bit. You may need to balance it out with something horizontal over the sofa!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Consider a floor fan. It is a better air movement solution. Imagine a beautiful chandelier reflecting in that mirror. I am going to do some mock-ups for you. Bbl
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Chandeliers are a good option, but if you really need a fan, you might consider a BigAssFan.com

• mamadada
    7 years ago
    I have been told since I was first building...don't hang a mirror unless it is reflecting the outdoors.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    A little mock up.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Gold one
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    A more Eastern look.
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

What a mirror reflects depends entirely upon the position of the viewer. Simple physics.

• Home
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Flo - love the chandeliers! The first one is gorgeous! Just thinking about the heat in the coming months. :(
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Flo's right, floor fans move way more air and you can direct it right at yourself if desired. Ceiling fans just move the hot air off the ceiling in my experience.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    7 years ago

Fun idea: you can set a fan up behind a bowl of ice water for low-tech, individual a/c!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    What the mirror reflects is stationary. Therefore it is always reflecting the same thing. If a "viewer" moves they may see different things. But in use of this mirror it will reflect the chandelier as it currently reflects the fan.
  • Home
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hmm... I've never considered a floor fan. Just used them if the a/c went out or something. We've always had ceiling fans in every room and they keep the rooms cool enough to not have to crank up the a/c. Are there any nice floor fans?

• Home
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What about this chandelier? Is it too rustic? It's about 4 ft tall - 12 lights.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Coronado Floor Fan · More Info

Home thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Floor Fan, Cantalonia · More Info

Home thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

16" Floor Standing Fan Presitge- Rustica · More Info
    These are availble in many designs and finishes.

Home thanked Flo Mangan
  • peonybush
    7 years ago
    I would move the love seat across from the sofa with the coffee table separating them in the middle. I would put the mirror on the small wall to the right of the door.
  • Naf_Naf
    6 years ago

Peony, Please send me a PM thank you