Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angiecrowe

need garden ideas for side of driveway

Angie Crowe
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I need curb apeal for side of driveway. Mostly fullsun, wanting low maintance and something that will give me yr around appeal. Thanks for any ideas
I live in central Oklahoma so pretty much anything will grow..

Comments (17)

• pattyag
    11 years ago
    I really think your location is important... Will evergreens live in your area?
  • User
    11 years ago
    Are you looking for a screen from your neighbors...or pretty flowers?
  • Angie Crowe
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    A little of both.. decor, border ,etc .im just not good with layout and what would look best when thrown together
  • User
    11 years ago
    You must plant at least some shrubs then. Start with an upright evergreen that gets tall but not too too wide. Maybe some type of italian cypress or sky pencil holly. Then some additional flowering shrubs surrounding it. These could be anything...rose of sharon is easy to grow and looks really nice and grows fast and large. For flowering shrubs you could also plant butterfly bushes, viburnum, spirea. I would try to find something that flowers in spring (spirea, viburnum) and combine with something that flowers in summer (butterfly) so bloom time is extended. Butterfly bushes are very tough and drought tolerant and like sun. So do the evergreens I mentioned. After that, maybe you could underplant everything with a pretty groundcover. Vinca is easy, evergreen and blooms in either purple or white in spring. You could also plant spring bulbs right up next to the driveway (daffodils). They don't need any care at all and they would look pretty coming up through the vinca groundcover. Good luck.
  • pattyag
    11 years ago
    If you have male dogs (or your neighbors)... I do not recommend vinca... As nice as it is, the boys just love that stuff... *note to self, no more male dogs*... Sorry, just had to point that out...
  • pattyag
    11 years ago
    Oh, and another thing... cypress is and excellent choice... Just make sure it is the kind that doesn't branch out too much... If you live in an area that gets really cold it will separate... I believe the Leland? Not sure... I would do some research... As I have never heard of the Italian cypress before...
  • User
    11 years ago
    Was thinking...vinca may not be evergreen where you are. Need to know your plant zone to really recommend plants...bugleweed is another good groundcover that spreads quickly. Make sure you improve your soil BEFORE you plant anything for best results. Lots of compost.
  • armygirl1987
    11 years ago
    Can you plant hibiscus. I live in Fl and I love them. They provide color and coverage.
  • handymam
    11 years ago
    I would plant barberry across the back (It comes in green, deep red and chartreuse!) and some dwarf evergreen plants. They will give you your all year color. If it is too shady for the sun palnts, I would recommend hydrangeas. Just make sure you check for ones that do not get huge. Forever summer is a nice variety. In the front, I would plant lavendar, stelladoro daylilies, and other perennials and some annuals. Mulch it all and you are all set.
  • handymam
    11 years ago
    It's good for keeping people out of your yard then!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    So are Russian Olive trees!
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    handymam -- It is! Especially if you plant it under a window.
  • Angie Crowe
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your replies, this has helped alot!!! I cant wait to go get everything for all day yard work tomorrow
  • handymam
    11 years ago
    PIcs when you are done please! :)
  • DIAspoton
    11 years ago
    talk with your local nuseries. respect the tags specs. some of the above suggestions are for trees that will grow to 30 feet or more in a few years. Yikes!
    native plants will be easiest to maintain. if you mix narcissus and tulip bulbs with your plants, be sure to use early, mix and late varieties for an extended show of color. i like to plant plenty of tulips so i can cut flowers to bring inside without the garden looking sparse.
  • PRO
    Garden Tech Horticultural Services LLC
    11 years ago
    This looks like a tough spot to me. First off I see a stump and several mature trees. There will be a lot of roots to contend with when digging in this are as well as the problem of new plantings competing for water with the tree roots. Hard to tell from a photo but I would imagine there is significant soil compaction from the proximity of the driveway and people getting in and out of cars. I think those that mentioned hardy ground covers like ajuga were on the right track. I would be leery of planting shrubs that would grow to any significant size as they will grow too close to the driveway, and do you really want to be scratched by a spiny barberry while getting in and out of vehicles? Pick a groundcover that's hardy enough to take compaction, being stepped on and driven over (ajuga fits that bill) Planting vines that could grow up the fence would add interest, I'm thinking of honeysuckle, trumpet vine, climbing hydrangea, etc. but see whats best for your area. Have fun!