Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark_rezner

Furniture arrangement

Mark Rezner
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The fireplace is at the end of the wall with a sliding glass door next to it. The dining room is on the other side of the sliding glass door. A very long wall across from it. The end of the room (connecting the fireplace wall to the very long wall has two large widows. How do I arrange the furniture without blocking the fireplace or making it awkward to enter?

This will be the living room so I don't want a tv in here. More for conversations.
i was hoping to use this furniture in the room. This is the only furniture I'm considering from what I already own. I haven't purchased anything for the room yet. The floors will be natural red oak. This is Tammy... not Mark!

Comments (17)

• Mark Rezner
    Original Author
    7 years ago

All of the furniture and flooring are being replaced. The fireplace and windows are new. I've even considered moving the dining room to the back of the room in front of the fireplace and bringing the living room forward... but really don't have a clue how to pull that off

• Mark Rezner
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The table is not staying, but I am considering purchasing a round one for the future.

• Mark Rezner
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Would you want the table arrangement like this in the front or back of the room? The table I currently have is oblong.

• Susan Davis
    7 years ago

Is the green wall in the room you want to decorate? Or is the furniture you want to use in the green wall room? And you are getting rid of everything?

Look up narrow living/dining rooms on Houzz to get some inspiration for what you want the room to look like. And answer my questions please.

These are some ideas for room arrangement. Sofa on long wall opposite the fireplace. Pair of chairs to the right of the sofa facing the two high windows. Round ottoman/cocktail table and end tables on either end of sofa.

Hutch centered on vaulted wall that is to the left of the front door with table centered on hutch. New light drum type of chandelier over dining table.

Lastly invest in some lined patterned curtains the same on all the windows, hung high on the walls as shown in the picture....these are all the items you should be looking for.

LaVista Park Renovation & Interiors · More Info

Wailea Living Room/Dining Room · More Info

This pic above shows the sofa and the pair of chairs arrangement. Just some ideas when looking at your room.

Mark Rezner thanked Susan Davis
  • PRO
    Styling and Staging
    7 years ago

Looks like there is nice natural light and a beautiful view outside the windows. I'd recommend moving your table to that side of the room, so you could enjoy the light. I'd move the tv to the corner where the china cabinet is sitting now. You could float your seating/sofa furniture to separate the rooms, but you want 2/3rds of one function (like table and daytime work area) and 1/3 of another function (like TV) ... or maybe you want to flip those two functions depending on how much time you spend in each. I agree with BeverlyFLADeziner that you'd want the chairs angled around the table. If you're buying a new one (or you could paint/redesign the one you have), I'd recommend upholstered chairs for longer and more comfortable sitting.

Mark Rezner thanked Styling and Staging
  • Mark Rezner
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The beige room is the room we are redoing. Not the green room/caramel room. I was considering bringing the sectional up stairs. I just wish the fireplace wasn't at the end of the wall, it's not centered so I can not decorate around it. The seating area around the fireplace is what I'm trying to arrange. Not sure about the sectional. I paid too much for it, so I was trying to reuse it.... but we are getting rid of all the other furniture. It's all hand me downs from my husbands family and friends before we met and married. He had this house already when we met, and I'm not afraid of remodeling ... I just wish I could come up with a conversational arrangement in front of the fireplace.

• PRO
    Styling and Staging
    7 years ago

Do you want conversation in front of the fireplace or TV watching? You could put the TV between the 2 windows and face the longest part of the sectional sofa towards the windows, with the wrap around to face the fireplace.

• Mark Rezner
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No TV. We have a family room downstairs. (It's a tri level). The tv will be down there. We don't care for the feel of the leather while watching tv, so we've been staying in this room to watch tv. But I would like this room to be more for visiting and conversing without the distraction of the tv. TV watchers can hang out down stairs

• Mark Rezner
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I could also move the chandelier to the back center and put a long dinning table

in front of the windows, but how would I do the seating in the new living room area/ old dining area? Two options here!

• Mark Rezner
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We are replacing the front door with a craftsman style single door with window panels down both sides

• Mark Rezner
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Mark Rezner
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Susan, if I put the sofa with end tables across from the fireplace it won't be centered with the fireplace. Will that look okay?

• Mark Rezner
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Are drapes the old new? I was considering plantation shutters. Is that look out?

• Susan Davis
    7 years ago
    I was thinking the sofa opposite the fireplace like the pic above with the orange chairs? Narrow end tables; you can definitely play around with your space using existing furniture to get a visual and your brain will pick up on what does and doesn't work.lol
    I think patterned curtains are in as are Roman shades. I do not like shutters personally because they intrude into the room when opened and block a lot of the view when closed even with the slats opened, but that is just me!
    I assumed the piano is staying so that was my suggestion for sofa centered on wall room opposite the fireplace with piano in place. Maybe a tree next to the piano sofa wall to give separation. Ethernet two large objects.
    With all the windows a contemporary mix is nice.
  • laurkade
    7 years ago
    Try the leather sofa in the room -starting with side under the windows and angling around on back wall. Get large painting or two prints for wall behind sofa. Find 2-3 kiln pillows for sofa
    (Target, Home Goods, Pottery Barn, etc) Place chair diagonal by fireplace and sliding glass door. Turn table like Beverly suggested. Consider moving desk? into green room.
    Mark Rezner thanked laurkade
  • Susan Davis
    7 years ago

Here are some fun chair arrangements that are colorful and interesting and add more seating. This is more transitional, some old some new looks.

Custom Interiors · More Info

Here is a more modern look but all these elements could work in your room for a more contemporary look.

Alsemberg 2 · More Info

Sofa not centered on fireplace or windows; but place to work in the room. Light chair is actually in the corner between two walk thru areas. Just some looks you will see when shopping.

Wilton Whole Home Renovation · More Info

Mark Rezner thanked Susan Davis