Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rococogurl

Enzyme vs Non Enzyme Products

rococogurl
7 years ago

For washing down, of course, no enzymes.

Otherwise, when do you use detergents with enzymes and when not?

Comments (34)

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

I currently do not have any detergents w/o enzymes. I never wash down, wool or silk.

I switch between Persil caps, German Ariel gel, Gain Icy liquid and Grab Green powder pods.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    7 years ago

I have found that detergents or whitening products with enzymes and brighteners cause intense itching on my skin, (something that is a recent development in me, maybe from new detergent formulations) so that is something to consider when buying a laundry product.

• julieboulangerie
    7 years ago

I use a detergent with enzymes on wool. They're relatively inexpensive long-sleeved t-shirts. I wear them as t-shirts, and odor will build up if not using a good detergent and a warm wash. I was told to wash them with my denim pants to help remove the inevitable pills. Icebreaker Wool Care Instructions

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Enzymes will break down wool, silk, down, cashmere. Could be you don't notice it on wool right away, but it will happen and reduce the life of the garment.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

mama, your first response above is very succinct and very, very much appreciated by me.

Your knowledge blows me away. Thank you again.

Pat

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

Roc, are you re-evaluating your opinion about using hot water, long soaks, and more gentle detergents instead of enzymes? I am forever conflicted about this. I guess that's why we like this Forum so much. What is your thinking now?

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Pat what a nice compliment above..Thank You.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Is there a reason enzymes are being questioned?

I do use enzyme free on certain things. Of course the obvious, but also on the boys fleece blankets, synthetics like scarves, pantyhose(yes I wear them occasionally) gloves, &mittens, I'm sure other things I can't think of. Enzymes are basically for stains...some people think why subject clothing to harsher detergent containing enzymes, yet have no problem subjecting textiles to very hot water...both are aggressive, of the two I'd think very hot water Is the more aggressive and harsher on textiles. And no cold water would not be a better choice. Lol.

Anyway there Is a way to wash without enzymes and still have clean clothes. .pretreat stains than flush with cool water before going into the main wash. Than wash with very warm to hot depending on fabric, color ect...this is fine for those that have gently worn clothes at the end of the day, and for bath towels, bedding..but if you have kids or an active lifestyle I'd stick to a enzyme detergent. at the end of the day its all about what works for you.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

I'm confusing that with something you said in early April, mama -- but then I've been haulin' water buckets for the last 2 days from our "water saturated" basement and I think I'm losing it. I love my home but when it starts turning into a money pit, it's time to get serious. We'll have a basement drying company tear up our floor and walls beginning on Tuesday and there goes more money. I'll get back to enzymes next week maybe.

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@Pat - I got a bunch of tabs with no enzymes. To me, those are good for most everything since my clothes are rarely stained. I use enzymes, of course, for kitchen towels and I expect they are good for bed linen and bath linens which have body oils.

I'm not much of a soaker unless there is a stain. I do love my hot washes but, again, those are mostly used for problems. Otherwise, I've been taking it easy on things with very hot -- at 125F for most that seems fine.

As usual, I'm trying to reduce my choices rather than multiply them. I like it easy these days.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Pat I'm sorry your having this basement/water problems. I'm sure its the last thing you need now. Times like this I wish I lived near you.

Please tell me what I said in early April lol

• rococogurl
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yikes Pat. Enzymes are the least of it. I've had disasters here as well. Stay steady. You'll get through it. Fingers crossed for you.

• Jerrod
    7 years ago

I think most of the detergents I use contain enzymes except one, and that is Miele for Wool. I use this on wool sweaters and slacks since my machine has a wool cycle, and I have used it one or two times on silk--don't have a lot of that. Once in a while I use it on the fleece items.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

As we talk about enzymes I want to mention phosphates..I know some of you use them and others don't. However phosphates can make an enzyme free detergent very forgiving. You may still need to pretreat a serious food stain, but still...even on sheets if you use say Purex or A&H liquids with no enzymes and hot water, 120 to 140F and STPP your going to have lovely clean sheets. Scent is important, it shouldn't be but it is after all who wants to smell like...P&G. Many of the BOL detergents smell great, fresh and clean, but they lack enzumes and mos t likely a concentrated surfactant system. STPP can give you the best of both worlds..a detergent that does an acceptable job and a fresh clean scent....I know I'm blabbering.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

Okay, mama. Still haulin' buckets of water coming in our basement floor, but taking a break here to tell you about my confusion over enzyme talk. Mama, see your April 3, 7:03AM comments above about enzymes, and then see your last Saturday 11:50AM comments about enzymes. I know I'm old as dirt, but I'm confused about their importance. Be kind.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Lo Pat..of course I would be gentle with you... I can understand your confussion...I still believe a enzyme detergent is best for most things....somethings can't tolorate enzymes such as protein fabrics and I've found fleece doesn't do well with enzymes. But on Saturday I talked about using enzyme free detergent, but pretreating all stains first along with a cool water flush...this can be a major under taking if there are children, gardeners, mechanics, ect....which would not make for a easy laundry day.

As far as people with gently worn clothes yes enzyme free will probably work...with hot water. I suppose I'm misunderstood because I did not word myself well...I'm sorry Pat.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

I think I really prefer a detergent with at least one enzyme, but I'm not so happy with anything Tide, because I, rightly or wrongly, believe it is a harsh detergent. Enough sales people have told me not to wash something in Tide that I can't get it out of my head. I tried the Purex with Clorox 2 and found it to clean very well and my clothes and sheets are actually softer than when I used Tide on them. Next I will try an Arm & Hammer with an enzyme and see how I like it. Haven't tried the Purex on hubs laundry yet, so can't comment.

Thank you for the explanation, MissyPinky.

• Jase
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Pat, just a heads up that it might be hard to determine if some of the Arm & Hammer detergents contain enzymes. They have recently changed the ingredients list on their Oxi formulas to state, "may contain enzymes."

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Jase I wonder if there was a problem in the factory...perhaps its listed as *may contain enzymes* because its produced in a factory where there are enzymes...kinda like * produced in a factory where there are nuts so may contain nuts** LOL.

• Jase
    7 years ago

I think it's a sneaky cost-cutting measure!

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

Just want to comment here that I've had a small container of the A&H Sensitive Skin or whatever it says, for several years now and it says "may contain enzymes." This is an old container -- maybe 5 years old, so it's not only recently that they pulled this trick. I would never again buy a detergent that says that. What a stupid thing to tell a consumer.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

By the way, washed sheets and towels in the Purex Natural Elements (no enzymes) and hot water last night and they smell sooooo good and are sooooo soft. Now I've got to stop worrying if they're really clean. Jeesh.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Pat...you made a trade off...you sacrificed enzymes for good hot water...hot water will forgive much. See how the cheaper laundry detergent smells so much better than the TOL detergents? That hot water broke down the oils and allowed the surfactants to remove stuff. I should take some time and explain things better since there's a lot of variants..

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

You are a sweetpea! How are Hubs, Aimee, and The Boys? The sun is shining here right now and all is well. Except our basement, but that will be taken care of soon.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Pat..LOL...you may regret asking...the boys are well and looking forward to summer vacation, Tim has consistantly gotton all A's this year in gifted classes...Anthony, the youngest does all A's , but he thinks he's employed by the school system and tells everyone what to do and how to do it. My hubs is....physically doing ok, mentally he's a pain where a pill won't reach..some days I'm ready to pack his stuff..he's got to be the most difficult man on earth. Amiee is so-so. Found out a few days ago her pain management doctor at Childrens hospital Pittsburgh won't be able to see her after July do to her age..Hospital admin. Is breathing fire down this doctors neck about treating kids over 19..big problem for us since it means educating a new doctor providing we can find one to see her. Its a shame since her current doc has been seeing her for 13 years and has worked a lot of off time learning about Amiees condition. I'm going to start searching next week. Our main sewage pipe had a clog...and we found a crack in several pipes soooo the digging has begun to lay all new pipes....my dog was seriously ill/hurt but thankfully recovering, Other than that all is just great in my shanty...

Pat how about you, you must be hurting lugging all that water...how's your hubs doing? I think about you and him daily. His chemos are over????

• Jase
    7 years ago

I'm liking the Purex w/Clorox 2 more and more! I might just be ready to back burner Tide for the foreseeable future.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

His chemos and radiations are over but he's still a bear (and of course i am perfect.) Some things never change. Need more scans to see if he is Ca free. Life goes on.

It might be a good thing that Aimee gets a new doctor.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

EASTER RABBIT

EASTER BUNNY

MAMA PINKY

YOU'RE A HONEY.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Pat,.... (insert musical note)

YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL TO ME!!!!!!

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

^_^

• Jody
    7 years ago

Mama, God bless you and Pat. Both of you are going through a time right now. I too had an offset in my sewer pipe. Found out when the main line got clogged as well. I am not going to do anything about it yet, unless it keeps getting clogged. We have lived in the house 7 years and this was the first time it got clogged in that spot...city says it's on our end..so we are going to wait it out.

My daughter has severe anxiety and is getting worse. She has on average about 2 panic attacks a day. She has been seeing a psychologist for the last 8 months, but he just isn't helping her. She has an appointment with a psychiatrist on Monday. I pray he can help her. I am starting to get real worried about her.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    7 years ago

Jody, growing up female can be very difficult and especially in this day and age. Hormones raging and all that. Daughter will be fine. You just keep calm and carry on, as Winston Churchill said. Much love to you and her.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Jody, sorry I missed this response of yours.

How old is your precious daughter? I'm sure this is very hard for her and you..if this doctor can't help her than find one that can. Many people suffer with this and many are able to get it under control, this is a huge medical condition and it is a medical condition...don't let anyone brush it off as being insignificant. Your daughter and you will be in my prayers.(((HUGS)))