Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_40159241

What is wrong with my lawn?

User
7 years ago

Trying to figure out what is wrong with my lawn or what I need to do for it. It is not green, and doesn't seem to be growing much. We have irrigation but haven't turned on yet. Live in Indiana, and have had plenty of rain though. Does it need dethatched? Aerated? Seeded?

Comments (9)

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What is wrong with my lawn?

Whatever it is, it's man-made as nature doesn't obey property boarders.

Either that is Zoysia or someone improperly applied something.

Ball's back in your court. :/

• User
    7 years ago

Is that... could that be... Bermuda?

• dchall_san_antonio
    7 years ago

I'm guessing you did not winterize last fall. Had you applied a high N, fast release fertilizer after the lawn stopped growing but before it went dormant, it should have come out early this spring. At this point just wait it out. Don't fertilize until late May (Memorial Day).

As for what it is, I'm going with Kentucky bluegrass.

It's just late coming out. Whether you dethatch, aerate, seed, or sacrifice a goat, the lawn will respond in a few days.

• Pennstater2005
    7 years ago

The lawn across the street looks similar to yours. Do your other neighbors have lawn services that may have applied a winterizer? Or they did it themselves maybe? My lawn used to look similar to that before I began applying fertilizer throughout the year, particularly during the fall.

• James
    7 years ago

My lawn (Bermuda) looked similar to that until I scalped it. it looks like the soil temps are warming up and the grass underneath is greening up. can you confirm if that is in fact Zoysia, Bermuda or KBG?

• newtolawncare Scranton 6a
    7 years ago

If it's brown all winter even in mild winters when your neighbors are still kinda green, then you have a southern grass, like Bermuda,or something like Zoysia.

• Greg
    7 years ago

OP, I'm pretty sure we live in the same neighborhood - literally! A couple of thoughts:

1. The sod laid by the builder has always seemed come out of dormancy very slowly each spring compared to other neighborhoods in the area...But it eventually gets going once it warms up a bit more. So have a little patience ;)

2. I would also echo the other comments around fall fertilization. Make sure to fertilize in the fall (I fertilized early October and mid November) and your lawn will go into winter with a stronger root system and green up more quickly in the spring.

If you want to check out the results of a good fall fertilization schedule, we live in the light blue house on the circle in the older part of the neighborhood. Haven't yet fertilized this spring and have never dethatched nor aerated since we've lived here.

• User
    7 years ago

Sooooo... what kind of grass is it?

• PRO
    Ron Keddy Tile Dealer
    7 years ago

Don’t worry, Lindsey; last year, I had the same problem with my lawn, but I got advice from Forever Green Lawn & Landscape Inc. and it’s all well now.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living