Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

Croc wearers beware

wantonamara Z8 CenTex
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am the Queen of Half measures and my garden is full of half done burst of energy.. I left a pile of trimmed of agave leaves in a pile in a path, just waiting to strike the un aware. This is a cautionary tale to croc wearers for crocs are a croc at protecting your feet from succulent peculiarities. Yea, I got the terminal spine in my toe. 1/3" was removed with pin and surgical tweezers. . I have been walking around for a while accumulating broken cactus needles in the sole. Every once and awhile, I will step wrong on a log and one's presence will make itself known to rather unpleasantly to the sole of my foot. I should throw them out but I am a creature of habit and they are so comfortable...most of the time. easy go hose off and I picked them up at salvation army for a song.

Note don't ever leave even a fragment of a yucca or agave plant in your body. The alkaloids will do a really unpleasant number on you. I saw it in a friend , not me . Thank god.

Comments (16)

• cooper8828
    7 years ago

I also wear my crocs in the yard all the time. Pyracantha spikes also go right through the bottoms. I removed the pyracantha because I had been cut by it for the last time. It got the last laugh because I am still finding tiny pieces of branches all over the place - well, actually, they're still finding me. :)

• Rhamel (aka teengardener1888)
    7 years ago

These stories remind me of unpleasant memories of raking around the Barberry bushes.

• letsgobird7b
    7 years ago

Omg! Made chills go up and down my body. I wear Birkenstock hiking sandals all the time. I've dropped many heavy things on my toes that peek out but never such an assault from the bottom. Good luck, I hope that heals quickly

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    7 years ago

IT did. I have a high tolerance for pain. After removal and a bandaid that staid on for 5 minutes, I was right back out there.

• letsgobird7b
    7 years ago

You're tough!

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    7 years ago

After a puncture wound in the foot do you take any precaution against

Pseudomonas?

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago

I wear crocs outside too...so far so good..

Sorry for your booboo.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@ Albert. Does peroxide count? It has been several days and nothing is happening down there. I had a deep puncture in my hand from a old man of the desert that went south on me big time and I ended up at the doctor....$260. Next time I won't stick my hand out when it falls over off a rocked table. It can hit the floor.

• Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
    7 years ago

I trimmed an agave today. My wife came down to remind me it was time to go to brunch. Ok sweetie but I have to clean up this pile of spikes first.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My spikes have been there for two weeks.....They are still there waiting to get me AGAIN.. I am working on furniture again and not my yard. Like I said I am the queen of half measures. I now have to drive out and get a tarp for the van seats before the next rain so I am not doing it now.

• Laura F (z9FL)
    7 years ago

I'm glad that you were able to get the spine out of your foot! I too wear crocs in the yard...

A couple of years ago I was planting a spiny cactus and I lost control of it (Oh, I don't need to get my long gloves to do this job) and it fell on my forearm. One spine stayed in my arm for about a year before I went to the doctor. I waited until it started getting redder. One small cut and squeeze...out it popped.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I got tagged by another spike off an opuntia that I call Sid Vicious. I carried it into the porch and got tagged on the inside of my upper arm. . I saw one needle and got it out, but the other one, I missed totally. 5 months later I see a small white head in a tiny tight circle of pink skin, but it is hard. I went inside and squeezed and the white head got a bit bigger but was Hard, really hard, so I got the tweezer out and pulled and pulled and it came and came out further, and kept coming out. Never any pain. It was about 1.5" . It missed every nerve, muscle tissue and bone. It freaked me out. I felt like some animal was living in me. I remembered back to the other needle.

• ewwmayo
    7 years ago

Maybe it's time to wear safety boots in the garden again! Did you end up keeping your croc? I bet after you remove the spike it would have looked just fine.

• breton2
    7 years ago

I put a branch through the sole of a steel toed rubber boot once. Guess it didn't have a steel sole! Didn't hurt myself, fortunately, which was good since I was a long way from my car in the woods.

• Pagan
    7 years ago

This sounds more like an "agave growers beware" kind of situation. Regardless, I want all agaves!

Mara, I kind of want to meet the fiendish plant you battled. Snapshot?