Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardner_2501

Townhouse Balcony Ideas

gardner_2501
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Any idea how I can make this balcony more inviting? It's a blank slate as of now! I will include plants, of course, but I am hoping for a few creative ideas to make this an enjoyable place to read a book, enjoy some coffee, or have a glass of wine. We've always had a yard or patio, so this is a new adventure. Thank you so much! *Bottom photo is just an example of the balcony. Top is the actual balcony.

Comments (11)

• Julie B
    7 years ago

I would definitely include something green -- you could even look for a rug made from artificial grass. I know there are some that are softer than astroturf, and it would be like a little patch of grass for you. Then I would get wood furniture to warm up the space even more.

gardner_2501 thanked Julie B
  • gardner_2501
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Nothing permanent (HOA), but potted grasses are definitely and option!

I've seen the grass rugs before. They look very fun! We have black wood furniture already, so we are stuck with it for now :/

Thank you. It's nice to hear others' ideas to expand the mind's creativity a bit!

• acm
    7 years ago

I think a little color is inviting, so you might try a colorful rug, as in Judy's first photo, or a couple of all-weather cushions. What appeals to me is a comfy arrangement of a couple chairs with a table and some planters.

Beyond that, I'd need to know more about your house and street -- for example, maybe an awning over the balcony, to make it more appealing in hot weather, would appeal (could be retractable), or maybe if the street is close, the privacy part is more critical.

Honestly, you're never going to use an exposed small balcony as much as a private rear patio. But if you can make it cozy, you might find that there are times of day when it's quiet on your street and this is the perfect place to enjoy the spring sun or watch passersby...

gardner_2501 thanked acm
  • acm
    7 years ago

(p.s.) might you grill out here? if it's your only outdoor space, leave space for a kettle grill at one end!

gardner_2501 thanked acm
  • gardner_2501
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Unfortunately, it overlooks the alleyway and other garages! We chose this for its amazing location and walk ability (DC). What we gained in that, we lost in outdoor space and privacy. Honestly, I'm unsure about creating an awning of some sort. It's definitely worth looking into as it gets very hot in the summer. Great idea.

Yes, we love to grill! We will definitely save space for that. So, really it's just the small space opposite of it that I am hoping to create something less boring than a wooden deck. We had a similar set up years ago, but our balcony railing was iron and a bit quirky, so it was easy to find fun solutions for it.

I agree with color and vegetation as being main players in the game. Our indoor decor is more modern eclectic with woods, blues, greens, and blacks. Would you carry the same color scheme outside since they are connected or go a bit brighter?

As for privacy, we are very social, so the idea of our neighbors seeing us out there will not bother us a bit. Perhaps they'll even join us for a cocktail or be encouraged to create their own little oasis on those simple balconies! haha!

The wheels are churning with possibility thanks to you all. Please keep them coming. It takes a village, but I'l post pictures once we get moved in and it's done! :)

Thank you so much!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago

Oh boy! D C…my daughter was stationed at Bethesda Naval Hosp for a couple of years and our dear friend worked at the Capitol. Wonderful spot and I think you made a great decision.

When our girls went to college, we sold our suburban house and moved to Harvard Square. We were there for 12 years before retiring to our summer home on the Cape.

What you give up in yard and floor space, you make up for in the cultural opportunities of living in an exciting place.

And I haven’t even addressed the eating establishments.

• gardnermd
    7 years ago

Oh wow! That is fantastic news to hear! We were a bit nervous about choosing a place with no yard, etc. but loved the location so we went for it! We are anxious to get there and make the house a home----just trying to figure out if we can make that little space our own as well. haha! You live on the Cape!--what a huge blessing of a place to live. The beauty is just amazing. We are currently in New England, so we are familiar. Thinking the heat of DC may be a shock after living here, but we are ready for the adventure. Thank you for the encouragement and reassurance that we chose well!

• gardnermd
    7 years ago

By the way, @JulyG Designs. I've heard nothing but incredible things about Harvard Square! :)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

My husband went to B.C. and I went to Lesley U.(Cambridge) Girls were gone (not for long), so it was our turn to have some real estate fun. Honestly, Harvard Sq ( as you will experience), was almost like moving around the world. So many cultures; so much to do; and, there is a t-shirt saying, 02138 zip code has the highest I Q’s in the U.S. (they did n t interview us, as the rating would have plummeted).