Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmeadows

Living room paint colors, help!!

kmeadows
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am struggling to find nuetral paint colors for my south facing living room, which has a very high ceiling and a wall of south windows, but also has a large porch overhang which blocks some light. Wall now painted in BM Huntington Beige, but I want to lighten it up. Help!! I need some suggestions!

Comments (32)

• tfitz1006
    7 years ago

Philadelphia cream? Half strength shelbourne buff?

• Geneviève
    7 years ago

with teal

Cobble Hill House by CWB Architects · More Info

• nomimama
    7 years ago

I agree with the gray blue or if it's not neutral enough, something beige that complements the tones in your fireplace. Huntington has green undertones and I think there are better choices.

• kmeadows
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love the idea of a blue, but the area rug has lots of sage in it. I need to make sure the paint goes with it.

• nomimama
    7 years ago

There is a lot of blue in it as well, yes? Maybe post a close up.

• kmeadows
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is a close up of the rug. The afternoon light really shows the blue's, but in the am, it looks very sage all over. Sigh. I'm no decorator and I'm really struggling to find a good paint wall color that is fresh and lighter than Huntington Beige.

• nomimama
    7 years ago

I think blue would be beautiful and pull out the blue in your rug. Or even the aqua color. Do you want specific suggestions?

• kmeadows
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, specific suggestions would be very appreciated!!

• nomimama
    7 years ago

Ok but need some time. ;)

kmeadows thanked nomimama
  • nomimama
    7 years ago

Let's start with BM Quiet Moments....

• nomimama
    7 years ago

a blue/green gray, will go more blue in southern exposure.

• nomimama
    7 years ago

Gray wisp

• nomimama
    7 years ago

Silver Marlin

Traditional Entry · More Info

• nomimama
    7 years ago

Keeping in mind these colors will look different in your space and you will have to try them out.

• nomimama
    6 years ago

Wedgewood Gray

• emmarene9
    6 years ago

Here is BM Misty Gray in a sample room.

If you don't want blue then BM Edgecomb Gray is a drab beige that many people like.

• kmeadows
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I had looked at Edgecomb Gray, but it doesn't appear to relate much to the rug. Gray Wisp is one I had not considered, but I really like it. I need to find something that trends a bit warmer so the room doesn't look cold, especially in the am. Thank you so much!!

• Nicole Cooley
    6 years ago

Have you considered painting the fireplace? The walls I would do a grey or blue grey color.

• kmeadows
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Nicole, the plan is to resurface the fireplace and get rid of the fugly rock. :) Will be surfacing with something very neutral.

• kmeadows
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The issue is the area rug. Looks very taupe in the am; very sage in the pm. It's very difficult to find a light color or neutral that works. Right now, I have Gray Wisp and Silver Marlin to test and maybe Edgecomb Gray.

• nomimama
    6 years ago

Grant Beige or Manchester tan....See if they work with your undertones.

• nomimama
    6 years ago

The colors will change, that's the nature of lighting, especially if you have a lot of southern exposure.

• kmeadows
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I tried the Gray Wisp, but it was too blue and cold. I think I'm giving up on any blues in there. Will try GB and MT, along with Pittsfield Bluff...on the card it reads quite warm, but I hope it isn't too yellow.

• nomimama
    6 years ago

SW Oyster Bay, shouldn't read cold. How are you trying these colors? Fold back other colors on paint strip and put next to rug and fireplace. You should be able to get an idea of how they work together. If they are contenders, paint large poster board and you can move this around and see how color changes over the course of the day.

• kmeadows
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I actually got paint samples and tested right on all of the walls in the room.

• kmeadows
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I tried Gray Wisp, which looked good with the rug and fireplace, but the color was too cold with the light in the room. I think Grant Beige *might* be a contender, so I will try it tomorrow.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Another thing to keep in mind is sage and light blue look good together--they are both in your rug, after all. So even though the rug reads more sage in the morning, that doesn't mean it won't look good with your walls. And once the walls are all painted blue rather than a gold, the sage might recede and the blue come out more.

• mandy_moo_pants
    6 years ago
    I painted my south facing LR Mount Saint Anne by BM and love it. I think it would look great with your rug. I also have Edgecomb Gray in my foyer- it's a great neutral
    kmeadows thanked mandy_moo_pants
  • kmeadows
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I love Edgecomb Gray! It's a great neutral.

• nomimama
    6 years ago

Is that what you're going with?

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH