Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seefloor

Hi! I need help figuring out what's going on with my succulent

Celeste
7 years ago

I'm just starting a succulent collection, all the others are doing fine but my senecio has started wilting around the edges. I think I may need to re-pot it.

Comments (13)

• lmontestella
    7 years ago

Does this pot have a drainage hole?

Celeste thanked lmontestella
  • Celeste
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It does not :(

• lmontestella
    7 years ago

There's your FIRST problem which will not improve on its own & may cause the loss of the plant if not remedied. This is an absolute MUST!!!

Sorry, but your priorities are wrong, don't worry about the wrinkling leaves, be more concerned abt the lack of drainage & pls. remedy that BEFORE trying anything else.

Celeste thanked lmontestella
  • lmontestella
    7 years ago

Or, to keep things super simple -- just buy ordinary nursery pots with holes in them already, like most folks do!

No need to re-invent the wheel here folks, just get regular pots.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I think I know where that pot came from. Home Depot. I have the same pot. I wanted the Echeveria that was in that little yellow pot. Now that pretty yellow pot is sitting with a couple of other pretty pots that I need to attend too.

• mesembs
    7 years ago

I'm going to (politely) disagree with Yan here. Judging from the leaves, it looks like underwatering to me. Overwatered leaves will be bloated and most likely yellowish plus they will drop at slightest touch.

However, I agree that you should get a better pot, plus some perlite so you can add that to your current mix (do about 50/50). When you unpot, take a good look at the roots. I wouldn't be surprised if you found dead or rotting ones. Cut those off.

• Celeste
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for your help! I repotted them in a pot with a drainage hole, I've attached a picture of the roots before I potted them.

• Ash - Zone 7a
    7 years ago

I've been having problems with this same plant. Every time I water it, it seems that more leaves wrinkle and pop off. I water it less than my others and it still seems to be a problem.

• Yan
    7 years ago

Hey do you know the name of this species? I've been trying to ID something that looks quite similar to this.

• Ash - Zone 7a
    7 years ago

Its the cocoon plant, senecio haworthii!

• Yan
    7 years ago

Thanks Ash!

• socks
    7 years ago

Ash, what are the growing conditions for your plant? Lighting, soil, watering, type of pot? Maybe you could take a picture and start another thread.

Celeste, hope your plants thrive. (Fast draining soil was used, right?). Keep out of direct sun for a week or so while it adjusts to its new home.

Celeste thanked socks