Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lora_haines

Can Mannington Adura Max planks go under kitchen cabinets?

Lora Haines
7 years ago

I'm getting ready for a complete kitchen remodel and have heard conflicting information on whether the flooring can be put under the cabinets or not. I thought that you could not have floating floors under cabinets and that the warranty could be voided. A few flooring stores have said there is no problem doing so. I was also told that all the new housing developments are putting laminate or vinyl flooring in first and then the cabinets. So what's the deal? Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Comments (20)

• janamdavis
    7 years ago
    We are working on installing our Mannington Audra Max Dockside Seashell right now. Struggling a little with the installation that looks so easy to click into place online, that's why I'm here. Anyways, the instructions from manufacturer specifically say not to be installed under cabinets. There is a foam backing to it that is nice, but I wouldn't think that would offer a stable and sound foundation for cabinets. Good luck!
  • jhmarie
    7 years ago

Well, the flooring people I've seen here are pretty much opposed to a floating floor under cabinets.

One thing to think about with flooring is which will last longer, cabinets or flooring. Back before tossing cabinets every 15 years became popular, cabinets usually outlasted most flooring except solid hardwood and tile. Even today, there is a good chance the cabinets will outlive a vinyl floor. It becomes a bit more difficult to change out a floor that the cabinets are on top of - so if the floor is something that will need replacing sooner than the cabinets, don't put the floor under the cabinets.

I haven't a clue why any good builder would put a vinyl floor under cabinets - perhaps not thinking ahead and just trying to get the job done as quickly and cheaply as possible.

• Lora Haines
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I was also told that if I wanted to change the flooring down the road, I could cut around the cabinets and leave flooring under them. That didn't sit well with me. I think you are right that some people want to get the job done quickly right or wrong.

• Lora Haines
    Original Author
    7 years ago

janamdavis - How are you liking the floor? I brought home a few samples and I'm considering Adura Max Margate Oak Coastline. I did take a key to see how it holds up to scratches and it scratched pretty easily. That concerns me a bit but not sure if all vinyl flooring scratches easily? Because of the pattern it doesn't show much but if I look closely I can see the scratches.

• janamdavis
    7 years ago
    I am very happy with the Audra Max. It is so much thicker and realistic looking than the 100's of others I looked at. We are putting this in an old sunroom we are finishing right off our pool/patio area so I wanted to make sure it was waterproof and kid friendly. Plus, I didn't want to spend a fortune. My only complaint is it does taking some messing around with and practice to get it to click correctly. The only videos look so easy, we have not had that experience with their "angle/angle" method. We are fairly experienced DIYers, so I thought we would knock this out in no time. But, don't think that's the case. I'm hoping I'm missing a key piece of info that will make it all click into place easier, but I've yet to find that. Going to call the manufacturer today. I've attached a couple picture of our sample section we were working on last night for practice. The boards aren't mixed correctly. Too many of the same pattern all together, but you get the idea.
  • PRO
    Mannington
    7 years ago

Adura Max cannot be installed underneath cabinets. As a floating floor, it needs 1/4" expansion gap around all vertical surfaces. If you have further questions please call Mannington's customer care line at 1-800-356-6787 (1-800-FLOOR-US). thank you for choosing Mannington!

• Lora Haines
    Original Author
    7 years ago

janamdavis - That looks great! Love the color too! Let me know if you figure out an easier way of installing in case our installer asks questions.

• Lora Haines
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mannington - thanks for the feedback. That is what we will be doing and putting quarter round by the 1/4 inch gaps around the cabinets. I noticed the product scratches pretty easily but after researching I think the only thing scratching was the clear coat on top. It doesn't appear to affect the colored wood portion.

• Lora Haines
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is the color we are considering. It is Margate Oak Coastline. Our kitchen cabinets will be a dark chocolate color so we are hoping this has enough light in it with a little dark to tie things together. We are also going with a white springs granite.

• janamdavis
    7 years ago
    We looked at that one too! I love it and think it will look great with your description of choices. As I walk on our "practice" section it feels really nice under foot. I will keep you posted on the install. We have to level the floor (concrete) first which we're doing this weekend and then hope to install early next week.
  • Lora Haines
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have a crew tearing out tile today and we will just have a subfloor underneath (no concrete). While I love to craft, I just don't have the DIY construction skills. Hopefully, it is level and smooth. Are you doing any sort of underlayment? I don't think you need to but I know that some people still do. So glad that it feels nice under foot. We are putting the flooring in the kitchen/dining and living room. It should make our rooms flow better as we are getting rid of tile, carpet and linoleum. Wishing you an easy install and looking forward to any updates.

• lobbies
    7 years ago

I am also looking at Adura Max Tiles for my kitchen, 12x24 style. I am planning on installing under the Range, Dishwasher and Refrigerator. In my situation, my Refrigerator has gables around it with a cabinet on top. I think it would be silly to have a 1/4 gap next to the gable leg on each side. Could you go under it, then under the Refrigerator and then stop at the cabinet, is that ok? Basically, Mr Mannington, is the Gable considered a cabinet?

• PRO
    Mannington
    6 years ago

We do not recommend installing Adura Max under cabinets. Please see these installation instructions for guidelines, or contact your local Mannington retailer. Thank you! http://www.mannington.com/Residential/AduraMax/Installation

• PRO
    Mannington
    6 years ago

You should be fine with the freestanding stove, as long as the surface area of the feet is at least 1".

• debclegghwy34
    6 years ago
    Don't use any Mannington product in your home unless you just want throw money away. We sent them photos of our 6 month old professionally installed LVP with huge and still growing gaps and peaks. Without even sending a rep out our claim was denied. We were told they did their research and found no other such complaints. It took us only a few minutes to find multiple examples of others who have the same problems with their flooring.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    6 years ago

Ikea cabinets are anchored to the wall = anchored. They are NOT allowed to sit over top of floating floors. The Ikea cabinets should have a toe kick/plate that can be trimmed and mounted once the flooring has been installed.

The cabinets must FLOAT (free standing = not attached to a wall) for this to work on a floating floor. Otherwise the floating floors must be floated up to the metal feet (leave the expansion gap). The kick plate is then mounted last to hide the area from view.

• colleenkr
    6 years ago

janamdavis -- do you have any photos of your completed floor in the dockside seashell color? We're debating between the seashell and the sand colors. Thanks!!

Lora Haines - did you end up going with the Margate oak coastline? That color looks great too! I'd love to see any photos you might have of a completed floor if you have them too! Thank you!

• Tina
    5 years ago

Can anyone comment if the AduraMax vinyl planks are OK to go under a toilet? Or would this be considered a permanent structure? If so, do I just caulk that 1/4" seam? Thanks!

• S L
    4 years ago

Hi S Briz, I was just curious if you had an update as to how everything is holding up? We are debating on running our SPC vinyl flooring under ikea cabinets or up to the bases that I may build instead. Have you had any buckling or any other issues with the floating floor being put under the ikea cabinets? Thanks for any feedback you may have!