Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caitmdean

Fireclay undermount sink with butcher block counters???

Caitlin
7 years ago

I am trying to find a sink that

1. Will fit in my 33" base cabinet

2. Can arrive by June 5th

3. Is a undermount and white

I was going to get a granite composite sink like this:

https://www.wayfair.com/Alfi-Brand-Lewis-30-x-17.75-Undermount-Single-Bowl-Kitchen-Sink-NBT1291.html

But it is back ordered and most likely won't arrive in time for our install.

Then I found this fireclay sink that would be perfect. More expensive but I think it will be worth it:

https://www.qualitybath.com/barclay-ks30-pierina-fireclay-sink-29-12-w-x-19-l-x-11-h-product-221224.htm

So here is my concern. Will a fireclay sink be too heavy for ikea butcher block counters? Our plan is to upgrade to quartz counter in 3-4 years, but butcher block for now.

And anyone one that has a fireclay sink, do you love it? Hate it?

Comments (12)

• mayhemingway
    7 years ago

I thought long and hard about this myself, but my concern wasn't the weight of the sink (I used the Houzer Porcela which is enamelled steel and light weight). My worry was water. I wound up doing IKEA butcher block with an IKEA farmhouse sink in our laundry room, and am so glad I didn't use the same IKEA butcher block in our kitchen with the undermount sink. It simply doesn't hold up great. It's split in 2 spots near the sink after limited use, and that's with an over mount sink. We chose local marble for the perimeter of our kitchen to go with our undermount, and did a hard block maple buctcher block island. I'm so glad I spent the extra money, because I'm not worried about wear and tear the way I am in our laundry room. I know people have used IKEA butcher block with undermount sinks with success, but I wouldn't personally recommend it--at least not the oak version of the Hammarp.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

The weight of an undermount sink is irrelevant to countertop material. The weight of the sink is born by the cabinets whether the sink is built-in or strapped in place.

• mayhemingway
    7 years ago

Joseph, I think that's right if the OP plans to use the solid wood butcher block. Wouldn't it be an issue if she wanted to use the veneered particle board version IKEA sells?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Yes, that would be a disaster, softpunk, but Ikea also sells solid wood butcherblock (the hammarp).

• mayhemingway
    7 years ago
    Writers block, I know because I installed the oak hammarp counters in my laundry room. They don't hold up very well especially compared to the custom maple butcher block I put in the kitchen. I think the problem is in the numerous finger joints. I'm sure it could hold the weight of a Fireclay sink though.
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

Yes, i think ikea had some QC problems even with the old BB before they changed it. These days I think I would be more inclined to go to Floor & Decor for budget BB.

But as Joe pointed out, the counter doesn't hold the sink, the cabinet does, for an undermount.

• mayhemingway
    7 years ago
    My undermount kitchen sink is mounted/bolted to the counter top and not the cabinet itself.
  • Caitlin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We will be mounting the sink the counter like the photo below, so it will not be resting on the cabinet. As far as the butcher block, we will be staining it and then doing several layers of waterlox.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Give up the clips, use straps or blocking and you can have a 33" sink.

• mayhemingway
    7 years ago
    Linda, YES! The splitting around my laundry room sink was caused by my visiting mother-in-law who did the same thing with a went dish towel on the counter. There are too many finger joints and the wood is just not good quality to begin with, so water is bound to find its way in, one way or another.
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

Pet peeve - I think of wet dishcloth like my swimsuit, that it should hang up to really dry. Why can't a dishcloth even hang over the faucet handle, where it could dry better than in a lump? Why don't my relatives that I live with see it the same? hmm?!