Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lela_marshall95

Decor for shallow shelves

New Home Owner
6 years ago
Need help bought old home to renovate, how to decorate built in shelves they are so shallow no actual book will fit. Tv will go above fire place. Open to all options. Paint, decor, tile, etc. wall paint is currently granite grey by glidden.

Comments (13)

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

You need objects that are taller and more solid to stand out. Pick two or three colors you love and look for objects in those colors. Is there another spot for the t.v. so you can put a pretty piece of art work above the fireplace?

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago

As the shelves seem to be too shallow for anything substantial, just remove them and resheet rock and paint the wall, then design something that will work with your wall and room.

• jansgirl
    6 years ago

Don't burn candles on those shelves is my first advice! I can't even imagine how many articles have been written on this very subject of styling shelves. And just as many theories. What you have now is about all the same size and color. Vary that. Move your plant over to the left some and put the bird next to it. Find a small piece of framed art you have and put it on the next shelf against the back right in the middle. Repeat on other shelves & don't over do it. Scan Pinterest for ideas. Post your changes!!

• mandy_moo_pants
    6 years ago
    Potted mini succulents? Air plants in small glass containers?
  • ilikefriday
    6 years ago

I would paint the same color as the wall, remove the shelves and put a tall statue on each side. OR I would get two long,skinny paintings and just cover that area with art.

• User
    6 years ago

Sometimes you just have to eliminate the problem entirely. I agree with Susan that the shelves need to go and you will be free of the problem.

• Carla H
    6 years ago

Personally, I'd take out the shelves and put complementary (don't have to be matching/identical pieces) tall/structural sculptures. It will make for a more modern feel. If you stick with the current shelves, then get rid of the scrolled edge (which is really dating).

• Carla H
    6 years ago

Oh, since you are hanging the TV over the fireplace, I'd also add lighting to the top of each "art alcove" for a nice effect.

• Geneviève
    6 years ago

I would do this

Living Room · More Info

• Geneviève
    6 years ago

Paint the mantel white as well .

• Kawthar Almarhoon
    6 years ago
    Wreck shelves then put white tile inside then install glass shelf inside. On first part, put a long flower in on top shelf then in lower shelf put a couple of storage boxes. On second part, put on top shelf a metallic horse structure. On the lower shelf put a photo in a small photo frame. Paint walls light yellow. Install in the upper part of the fireplace white and gray marble.Take off the glass then put a fireplace cover which is gold geometric shapes. Put next to the TV some small paintings.
  • New Home Owner
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you all for the help. I will try these ideas they are wonderful. Until I can convince my husband to take the time and remove the built in's.