Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eahilley

White paint color to pair w/ white subway tile in bathroom?

eahilley
6 years ago

We are about to start remodeling our master bathroom, and I have everything decided except for the paint color. The bathroom is very small, so I want to keep the colors light and airy to expand the space. The floors will be carrara marble hex, and the shower walls (floor to ceiling) + "wet" wall (wainscoting) will be 4x16 subway tile (color is "Soho White" but I'm not sure the brand... it's budget tile). Ideally, I want to use the same white paint for the walls and ceiling, but I definitely don't want stark white. I don't want the space looking too cold. My favorite white is "White Dove" from BM.

Question: Will an off-white paint color like White Dove clash against the white subway tile?

Alternative: Our master bedroom is painted BM Edgecomb Gray, so we could continue that into the bathroom, but that doesn't square away with my desire for a light and airy color scheme. Any ideas for light greige paints that coordinate with Edgecomb Gray but are lighter?

All thoughts appreciated!

Comments (8)

• surfaceperfections
    6 years ago

You don't mention what color trim is in the master bedroom but if it works wth your tile selection, that's the easiest and most continuous way to go.

i think your best best with the wall color would be to have the paint store mix a sample quart in a half formula of Edgecomb gray. If that is too much color you could even go with 1/4 formula. Doing a decent sample (two coats!!) on the wall in the space itself will give you a good idea on color.

For "white" ceilings I generally use 1/2 formula of the trim color. Hope that helps.

• surfaceperfections
    6 years ago

If trim in MBr doesn't work, try White Dove. Without seeing the tile in person I can't advise as to whether it will work. I like to prime and paint a piece of trim (about 12" or so) so I can get a good idea of the color and carry it around with me.

White Dove is a no, go with a white that doesn't have obvious tones jumping out at you (yellow, pink) when you compare the tile and paint side by side. Again, working up a trim sample is always better than choosing off the paint chip.

Try Cotton Balls (OC 122), Cloud White (OC-130), or Decorators White

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    6 years ago

In my bath it is just the opposite -- the tile and wallpaper background are a cream, but I painted the ceiling and trim with basic "kitchen and bath white" -- and it looks pretty good to me! It matches the white porcelain sink; and is not a stark white but still a fairly pure white (no discernable undertone color)

• Joy Jacobs
    5 years ago

Agreeable Grey Sherwin Williams

• Amanda Fowler
    5 years ago

Have you used this with subway tile?

• PRO
    Lisa McManus
    last year

Is there a pic of what you ended up doing? I'm having the same issue, which white paint w/ white glossy subway tile?

• elcieg
    last year
    last modified: last year

Work with Edgecomb Gray and use a coordinate that's not white. Try Gentle Gray