Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritao11

Exterior of 1960s brick home

ritao11
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am looking for any recommendations to improve the curb appeal of our home. I tend to like a more modern look but think we may be limited to more traditional with what we have now. We are also looking into doing new landscaping. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments (13)

• jansgirl
    6 years ago

My first impression was very positive! I always like the front door a brighter more welcoming color but you sill get some good advice here.

ritao11 thanked jansgirl
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

You need a tree…evergreen somewhere in the front lawn.

• PRO
    TV Lift Cabinet by Cabinet Tronix
    6 years ago

LOVE THIS!

ritao11 thanked TV Lift Cabinet by Cabinet Tronix
  • User
    6 years ago
    Pretty house!
    ritao11 thanked User
  • PRO
    Primitive Huts/Helen Crawford
    6 years ago
    Lime Wash the brick for a crisp modern look. I would go opaque with the lime wash for your house. Unlike paint, lime wash will not cause the brick to retain water, which is bad for masonry. https://romabio.com/products/biocalce-classico/
    ritao11 thanked Primitive Huts/Helen Crawford
  • hbfn
    6 years ago

I like Judyg's color suggestions & I like your house a lot. Beautiful landscaping would be nice & forget about trying to "modernize ".... embrace it's charming style.

ritao11 thanked hbfn
  • acm
    6 years ago

Would be easier to advise if you could take a picture of your house when the colors are not all made darker by the recent rain.

In general,

1) agree that the house is cute :) a little more cottage than modern, but everything can be leaned a bit one way or another with effort.

2) I don't really love the high contrast of the siding insets -- would like them several shades darker and perhaps a bit toward gray. use the brick as your guide.

3) for sure find a bright/cheerful color for your front door to bring it out a bit from the darkness of the overhang, and to draw the eye.

4) for sure, paint your downspouts the darker color in your brick to make them go away; they're not a feature. same with the odd piece of light trim along the roof line of the bay window bump-out where it joins the house.

5) landscaping needs to be more natural -- replace the tight row of ball shrubs with a mix of foliage that is more variegated in height and color. I'd also widen the beds and maybe curve them a bit out into the yard to soften the line.

6) looks like you may already have a yard tree? if not, a small ornamental could add a lot to the front, at the cost of some peskiness of yard upkeep. ;)

7) just to note, if you really want to push the feel of this house, you could paint everything -- brick and all -- one color, maybe a pale gray. paints are better than they used to be, but this still changes the upkeep of your exterior, and it's a forever decision, so you might want to wait until you've lived there a while...

ritao11 thanked acm
  • acm
    6 years ago

here's the simpler overhaul, schematized...

ritao11 thanked acm
  • emmarene9
    6 years ago

My taste is traditional but even I can see that the landscaping is a bit bland. I think for better landscaping advice you should post on the Landscape Design Forum.

The house itself is attractive. Two changes I can think of are painting the down spouts a darker color to blend with the brick and removing the shrubs nearest the path. I prefer low things next to a path.

The current plants are all dark green in the picture. You have dark brick so I think lighter green or even some gray foliage would stand out better. Chartreuse plants were very popular a few years ago.

How do you feel about gardening? Are you looking for low maintenance?

I made an image with two of the changes but you will get better advice on the landscaping forum about specific plants.

ritao11 thanked emmarene9
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Extend the board and batten across the whole left side and from the downspout to the end on the right side. That would establish a strong horizontal line and highlight the large window and main gable. Introduce a light colour and a large light fixture to the door area.
    ritao11 thanked jbtanyderi
  • cwrigh01
    6 years ago
    We have a somewhat similar 1960s house, and I think yours (like ours) is screaming for a lime wash. We plan to do a solid (opaque) wash using Romabio, but yours would look fantastic with a classic wash, where the old brick shows through in places. It would 100% lighten up the exterior, and you would save having to repaint any trim (except the door--definitely want to brighten it up).

Good luck!
  • mnmamax3
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Very nice house. I like the idea of a brighter door a few have suggested as well as the darker shade on the light parts per acm. I would bring the landscaping out into the yard though with a kidney-shaped bed. Anchor it with a small tree (dwarf Japanese maple or Kousa dogwood, depending on your zone) and a tall grass. This is mine to help you get the idea, though I think mine would be too big scale-wise for your yard. (This is a full size maple that is now 25 feet tall)