Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Clump Shots Anyone?

organic_kitten
6 years ago

Several clumps the last couple of days so why not?

Deliverer:

Abilene Lillian:

Hearts of Fire:

Pink Gingham: I will never understand why the Shooters quit selling this one. It has been blooming for quite a while and you can see the buds left. It is a super plant and the blooms are such a delicate pink and the ruffled edges goes so well with it.
Clown Parade:

Destined To See:

Philistine Champion:
View of Yard: Beginning to pick up some.

A couple of new ones today:

Spacecoast Devil's Eye:

This last one, is a favorite, but I am unhappy because someone came into my yard and dug half of this plant and took it. I have no idea who or exactly when because I discovered it when I began weeding this bed.

Wall of Fire:

My season is in swing now.

kay

Comments (17)

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Water Drops has had a good year, so I will post a duo.

Shake the Mountain duo:

Cosmic Kaleidoscope has begun blooming:

Emerald Starburst is has a much prettier bloom than it used to have; much larger anyway:

enough for one day.

kay

• lilykate7a
    6 years ago

Lovely clumps, Kay. I agree with you about Pink Gingham although voles got mine two years ago. Seeing yours reminds me I need to replace. It looks spectacular when it blooms like yours is doing. I am always appalled at what people will do in a garden!! I had a seller friend who went on vacation, came home to get ready to sell, and discovered someone had dug a whole clump of a newer lily and replaced it with a ditch lily. The dirt was still disturbed around the clump. I hate to think flower lovers are thieves!! Kate

• shive
    6 years ago

All of the clumps are sensational! I can't pick a favorite because I love them all!

• mantis__oh
    6 years ago

Always a pleasure to see clumps! Hearts of Fire is so reliable. I agree that Pink Gingham is an alluring color. I see it is just slightly in the foliage. Destined to See, though, quite deep in the foliage. Your Deliverer looks good. I did give up on that one because the percentage of splotchy blooms was too great here. Spacecoast Devil's Eye--very intense.

• Julia WV (6b)
    6 years ago

Hearts Of Fire looks spectacular as does Pink Gingham. So many pretty ones to see. Love the garden shot.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kate, if you are having problems with voles, I finally (after losing several rose bushes and daylilies) discovered that Mole Relief (I think is the name) from Gardens Alive gets rid of voles too. It is a granulated castor oil, so safe to use. Destined to See is almost always somewhat in the foliage, but this year is especially bad. Thanks you all for looking and commenting.

kay

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    6 years ago

Beautiful pictures! I love clump photos though I never take many of them. I need to do more of it. Water Drops, Abilene Lillian, Spacecoast Devil's Eye, Clown Parade, Wall of Fire are my favorites. How terrible that someone dug up half your clump. We saw Wall of Fire last summer at Bonnie Nichols' place and it was spectacular. It's on my wish list, but since it isn't one I need for hybridization, it keeps getting bumped down the list. Keep those beautiful pictures coming!

Nancy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    6 years ago

Hearts Afire always is a show off for you. The color is just glowing. I also like Philistine Champion and the pattern on Cosmic Kaleidoscope makes it a looker too......Maryl

• Nancy 6b
    6 years ago

I am shocked that someone dug your daylily, although I hear it happens. At least they left half of it, though. Makes you wonder who it could be though. I always love your Pink Gingham and it just looks spectacular in that photo. Hearts of Fire looks gorgeous too. Beautiful flowers on Water drops & Cosmic Kaleidoscope, I love that patterned look. About Mole Relief, I always hesitate to use poisons with my cats, do you mean this would be ok? I don't seem to have trouble with voles but have shrews and lots of moles. The cats catch a lot of moles and voles, & I have a trap I've used in the past, but seems like there are huge numbers this year.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Lovely clump shots, Kay, they are always my favorite. Water Drops is so lovely. I also like Devils Eye, such great color. I can't believe you had plants stolen from your garden! Although, I haven't planted anything pricey or hard to find in my front yard gardens.

Sherry

• avedon_gw
    6 years ago

You have such beautiful clumps--I like them all, but I am especially partial to Water Drops, Philistine Champion and Emerald Starburst. I need to check out the Mole Relief, for moles have killed a number of our plants.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nancy, it is a granulated castor oil. This company is pretty good about their products. I haven't had any issues with the cats and have used it several time. I have no idea why or who would help themselves to some of my flowers. I give them away fairly often, so it was unexpected. Avedon, it wasa wonderful product to find. As I understand it, they hate the smell of the castor oil and they leave. They ad been gone about three years since it put it out last. Sherry, it is not a new release and I doubt it is really pricey, but maybe hard to find.

• Jeanne
    6 years ago

Finally someone has answered my question why I can't find Pink Gingham for sale! You say that it is being sold anymore! What a shame - it has such great characteristics. Your garden is beautiful.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    6 years ago

They are not offering it at Marietta anymore. It is a wonderful plant, and I did write and tell them I thought it was a shame. It is currently re=blooming and has put up two more re-bloom spikes. It always opens perfect, the thrips leave it alone, it is a lovely soft pink.

kay

• shive
    6 years ago

How shocking that someone came into your yard and stole part of Wall of Fire! When I looked at this thread the first time, I was out of town, and just looked at the photos. You sure had some pretty clumps this year.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    6 years ago

True. I was not happy when I discovered it, but I was absolutely thankful they took only half of it. It would have been sickening to lose it all. I have a few more posts to make, but other then a couple that decided to put up scapes now instead of at the appropriate time and a fair amount of re-bloom, it won't be long until I am working on re doing beds. It had bee a year of more clups than I have ever had before.

kay