Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nkiehn

Want to replace dated stair railing. Need ideas for a contemporary look.

nkiehn
10 years ago
Our wooden stair railing is in need of replacing or refinishing. I love the look of the wire cable systems, but the cost is prohibitive. I want to keep it as streamlined as possible as the hallway feels too narrow to me to allow a large newell post or something. I would rather avoid using wrought iron as that would date the house all over again. Are there any ideas for the DIY for a more contemporary look?

Comments (20)

• onthefence
    10 years ago
    I know there are DIY cable railing kits available. I've seen them used on a couple HGTV shows. Here's a link to one supplier from Houzz. They also have an ideabook so you can see some of what they offer.

http://www.houzz.com/pro/thecableconnection
  • PRO
    Perth Interiors
    10 years ago
    Hi, a few more ideas.
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Kie -- is something like this still part of a wire-cable system ?
    Bowman Stairs · More Info
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Kie -- is glass an optioin for DIY ? Or is it too costly ?
    Larkin Street Residence - John Maniscalco Architecture · More Info

Pandan Valley Condo · More Info
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Yeah, I'm wondering if you could take out some of the spindles, drill holes in the remaining ones and fit cables through them. Would paint the wood white if you were going along that route. I feel that black will be too harsh here, would stand out too much.
  • nkiehn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions. Has anyone had success with painting copper pipe? Does it adhere well? Also, I always thought that glass would be too costly, but haven't considered it . Definitely will research that as well. While we have black accent furniture, we still have wood trim (fruitwood stain) and much of our furniture is teak. Agree that too much black may be too harsh.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I would not paint the copper pipe!
  • nkiehn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I saw a photo of a home (on Craigslist!!---should've called them) with diagonal cables, like lots of tight W's , instead of horizontal cables with turnbuckles. I can't find anything online. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on that? That would eliminate the temptation for little people to climb on the cables.....
  • nkiehn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh, sorry Margo, I thought you meant paint the copper pipe ;) We have thought about the copper pipe---would need lacquering to keep it's bright look??
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Found this:
    Accessible LEED Residence Stair Detail · More Info
  • User
    10 years ago
    There are products such as Everbrite on the market to coat the copper from tarnishing.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I am wanting to put a deck on the back of my bedroom and am salivating to use a copper railing, so forgive my eagerness to have you do the same LOL.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Different ideas (just throwing them at you, who knows what will inspire you ;-)). What always inspires me is walking around in a large DIY store. So many materials that can be used for anything. There are metal sheets with holes in it, fretwork, rope...

Ames Lake Studio · More Info

Elk Ridge Lodge · More Info

Santa Cruz Straw Bale House · More Info

Berkshire House VI · More Info
  • nkiehn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carolins, I think that is what I had seen before. Looks wonderful, just eye screws and tensioned wire. Now to find out how easy it is to replicate.....
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Good luck! The concept seems simple enough, but then again... Just make sure it will be sturdy enough if you take out spindles. And you need to do some maths. I was thinking that you could take out two spindles, leave one, take out two... But that won't work with the corner. Gosh... you know... painting is so much simpler :-D
  • blueleilani
    9 years ago
    I really think you should just paint them black or white. it's the color that's the most dating.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    I suggest replacing them with pony walls, and wire family room side for the TV. Bookcases on the hallway side ones.
    Maine Woods · More Info
  • tucker921
    9 years ago
    Every suggestion sounds beautiful......just be sure to follow any city building safety codes for spacing of wire or railings in case you should sell your home.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    This was from May of 2013.