Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_o

My living room shouts for help!! plzz

sarah_o
11 years ago
I have finished with furniture but my problem is with accessorizing it. The room looks dull and lacks of a homy feel :( I dont know what to put on the fire place and how to fill the huge wall behind the fireplace!! I am thinking of a sofa table, what do u guys think? give me ideas cause I am clueless in this matter...
thank u so much(hearts)
I talked too much sorry,

Comments (81)

• sarah_o
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank u travis for ur amazing feedback:) unfortunatly I cant return the tables and they cost me alot but I might paint them. I love ur new arrangment I will try it and as for the rug its 3x2 Meters. I am thinking of getting a bigger one. plz feel free to write suggestions.
  • sarah_o
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank u Carolyn,
    I will see about the air-con,hope they can move it cause i know its ugly:(
  • PRO
    Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
    11 years ago
    I do like most of your choices including the white tqblew that no one seems to like. They add freshness to the room. The placement of the furniture is fine as well. Lamps do need to be larger and I wish your red chest where more horizontal. It looks like a bedroom chest rather than a living room chest if that makes any sense. The room looks sterile because there is no art work. Fill those walls up with original art or fine antique prints. This will give the room some depth. If the room can shjft to the left then do so thus it will be centered with split unit.. since it seems that FP is centered in the room I would try to move split unit over FP and then build bookcvases around the whole thing going to full length of the wall. This will add great interest to your room. Good work so far. Congratulations.
  • sarah_o
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank u Fbg
    for ur helpful feedback.as for the fp I moved ot under the ac,I removed the speakers ,as for lighting what do u think of a chandlier in the middle?
  • sarah_o
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank u Kelly,
    I like the idea of bringing black to the room but how? examples plzz;)
  • sarah_o
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thank u Sadek
    love ur suggestions ,especially about the layout! I will do that and keep u posted :)
  • sarah_o
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank u Leelee
    I havent noticed that!! ^_^
    I will keep it in mind in the future.
  • sarah_o
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank u Nancy for ur FP/AC suggestion. I did it and it looks great :) where do u think I should put the lamp? on the the side tables or the red cabinet?
  • sarah_o
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    FBG , I like the idea of a sofa table behind the sofa near the window, but what do u think I should put on it? (frames,the current lamps,...) and as for the left sofa I am planning to buy 2 more end tables, what do u think the color should be?
    I also have a transpart service table whoch i will add to the living room, what do u think?
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 years ago
    The lamps I included were black, a black tray on the table. I too do not mind the white coffee table, but think the end tables should be different from the coffee table- too matchy
  • patricia1971
    11 years ago
    I think your room looks great. Before you paint or return anything, add what you know you need...the things that make it personal. A tray on your coffee table with some books on it. A few plants. Pictures on you family in frames on the sideboard. One or two funky pillows that are a little unexpected (not everything should be perfect!). One little thing you could do that I think would look great is to buy some ribbon trim to sew along side your curtain panel. Maybe a Greek key design in red or blue world give you one last bit of punch and intrigue.
  • Nancy Walton
    11 years ago
    sarah, The skinny tall lamp with red shade should go on your red chest with the mirror turned vertically. Better yet, two lamps, but one would do. And don't forget to change out the drawer handles, will make more of a statement.
  • Nancy Walton
    11 years ago
    Also, add a low bowl or cloisonne plate on the red chest, to collect mail or your keys when you come into the house.
  • fbg1138
    11 years ago
    Much to read today. You must have felt bombarded with all the input.

Glad that the fireplace is relocated and that you're happy with it. I have one of those split ac units, too, and they're such a problem...so ugly. I've wondered if they could be repainted successfully. Does anyone know?

Sarah, if its not too much trouble, could we get updated pictures so that everyone understands where you are with all the suggestions vs. decisions? That way we will know what you like and won't keep repeating ideas that you have already rejected.

Also, a few other questions that would be helpful for future recommendations...

Could you describe the wall color...the photos leave us to imagine the color. Does it have a name?

Are you single, a couple or family? Pets?

What do you plan to do in this room? Do you entertain often? Large or small groups? Is the front door your primary entrance?

Room shape? Dimensions? Ceiling height standard 8'?

Are you a DIY-er or will you need to hire tradesmen?

I know that there are several furniture arrangements out there for you to consider...which way did you go? Personally, I liked your present arrangement. Classic and symmetrical. You may need to live with different arrangements for a few days/weeks before you know which one pleases you and functions well, too.

As for your other questions about lamps/lighting...SIZE MATTERS. This may mean many trips to the lamp store to try different sizes/shapes/heights/colors but, no worries, they are used to it and will usually let you take something home "on approval" or have a lenient return policy. Remember with lighting that you want layers of lighting. You already have recessed lighting so you need light for reading, etc. I'll look for a helpful article concerning this issue to share.

As for your question about if you should add a chandelier...2 questions. How difficult (expensive) would it be to install one? How much do you want one? A chandelier would would be nice, but IMHO, not essential for good lighting. There are many ways to get good results.

I agree with others that adding natural/wood tone accessories will make much of your white become less prominent. Also breaking up (not literally) your pair of white side tables would make them less match-y. I think that your clear tables would be a nice addition.

Lots to consider.

Gotta go for now...
  • fbg1138
    11 years ago
    Sarah, I found this website that had some good information on lighting fundamentals...also there is a link on the rt. side of webpage to some videos that might be worthwhile to check out.

http://www.americanlightingassoc.com/Lighting-Fundamentals/3-Types-of-Lighting.aspx
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    11 years ago
    You totally need to get some darker colors by way of either furniture or wall decor
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    11 years ago
    If cant return tables paint black. Post new pic of room as it goes.
  • Ann
    11 years ago
    Just learning from and watching this discussion. I look forward to seeing pictures as you implement the suggestions you like. Lots of good advice has been given!
  • hunt5
    11 years ago
    Wow! Great advice. Can't wait to see new pictures.
  • sarah_o
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thank you all for your very helpful input :) I am really greatful. I did this room a year ago and I stoped cause I know there is something wrong plus I had no clue how to finish it. this room is for entertaining with my family and close friend its an informal living room but unfortunatly I havent used it yet. With your help now I believe I will be having a party sometime soon :).
    The walls r in (Sand) color.
    I bought a round ceiling lamp from Ikea(will post pic) till me what u think?
    Yesterday I was moving around the furniture till I got dizzy loool
    I settled with this layout(see pics) tell me what u guys think? althought I could get the chairs to have exactly the same angle!!
    I am open to suggestions, feel free to ask anything ;)
  • sarah_o
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    more pics ...
    this is the lamp from Ikea,I have it in my family room but my son kicked it with the ball and it need fixing loool
  • sarah_o
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lamp
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    great suggestions by Houzzers and the room already looks even better.
    have you tried placing the red seat in between the two end tables, with enough space to step out of the sitting circle? and placing a console like this under the rectangular mirror..
    Dresden Mirrored Console · More Info
    Benedetta Console · More Info
    Amelie Mirrored Console · More Info

or maybe an open book case there..
    how about a faux palm or large plant in the corner by the window?
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    also, patricia1971 suggested above a "ribbon trim to sew along side your curtain panel. Maybe a Greek key design in red or blue"... i really like her suggestion. it'll make your room grand!

you also need votives or candles in a thin tray on center table with a low full flower arrangement on it..
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    I preferred it when you had the bench in front of the fireplace and the chest under the mirror. The mirror needs to be placed in a vertical position over the chest until you can replace it with a different one. I loved judyg's suggestion of the red pagoda mirror. A large painting would work over the FP. Bigger pillows (20 to 22" sq.) are needed on the sofa.
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    I agree with Carolyn. Your furniture arrangement had a very neat and classic look. It was worth the try to,find out. Thank you for doing so and sharing.
  • PRO
    Total Solutions Group
    10 years ago
    You've had a lot of great feedback, but there's a couple things I would suggest that could make a big impact. Your new furniture arrangement looks great - I would just move your red chest from where it is now to the open wall next to the red bench. (See below). Some large artwork over the bench or a gallery wall type arrangement over both pieces would help create a natural focal point and give you a chance to extend your color scheme. I would also get a larger mirror for over the fireplace, even if you just move the rectangular mirror there and add some tall, red candles to your candelabras. I would repaint the walls if that's an option - something in your present color scheme. I like Judy's idea of matching the color of your couches, just maybe in a lighter side like Sherwin William's Sprout, seen in the example room below. Finally, I would update your window treatments, if you like the valance, I would try a cleaner, more modern look that stick echoes your bold color scheme. Maybe something like the photo below, with red buttons and a red border with curtains that match. You can make your own valance if you're an DIY-er, then find simple white curtains and add your own red edging to them.
  • PRO
    Total Solutions Group
    10 years ago
    Even if you rearrange your furniture to the way it was before - you should update the valance and bring more art into the room. You need something to create interest, especially on that open wall. The chest by itself or the bench by itself seem too small. You may want to opt for a longer buffet table to fit the space with art / your mirror over that.

"Keesee & Associates is a Custom Home Design firm in the Orlando Metro."
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Sarah, I prefer the arrangement you had before. Right now all your furniture is crowding the fireplace, and the wall where your entry is is a gaping hole. Please move it back, dear, sometimes our first instinct is the best--you need to learn to trust your instincts!
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I think the Keesee and Associates idea of trying both the bench and the chest on the wall together is really worth trying. The drawing of that arrangement looks very workable with art to tie it all together. I agree that it is also worth trying the rectagular mirror over the fireplace (probably vertically). It's probably not the best mirror choice for the spot, but it's worth a try. I kind of prefer the chairs flanking the fireplace.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Hmmm - quite a few people are saying they prefer the first furniture arrangement. I see Nancy's point about crowding the fireplace, but the thing I didn't like about the first arrangement was the bench by the fireplace. Please try the Keesee arrangement with the bench and chest together to see if that works for that large wall. If it does, I think the chairs could work as they originally were or as they are now. If you like the chairs by the fireplace, is there room to move the couches a bit further from the fireplaces so it looks less crowded in the fireplace area?
  • PRO
    Total Solutions Group
    10 years ago
    I'm on Ann's side. The bench is front of the fireplace cramps the fireplace far more than the armchairs. But if you want the armchairs farther from the fireplace, try the layout below. It gives the fireplace plenty of space to remain the focal point. I think another problem you had with your original arrangement is that you tried to squeeze all the furniture onto your rug. It's okay to just have your coffee table on the rug and let the furniture float. They will give the layout more space, similar to the photos you posted, even if the armchairs return to their original spot. It just looked too tight in the beginning.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    I think the only way to do that is to move the end tables down to the end by the chairs, and move the couches toward the entry wall. Maybe the bench in front of the draperies? that way, it could be brought into the seating when company comes?
  • PRO
    Stikwood
    10 years ago
    I think STIKWOOD would look great on that wall behind the fireplace!! Check out our reclaimed white weathered wood. Stikwood is 100% real wood, EASY to install, DIY, cost effective solution that yields extraordinary results for ordinary spaces. Good luck! :)
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Put sofa on left facing firepl. Move chairs to sofa spot facing windows. Put end table between them. Coffee table turn and facing firepl. Mirror over firepl. Put cabinet on other side of firepl. Add art. Move end table other end of sofa by window. Keep bench on back wall nut add large art piece. And potted plant in nice pots in lack on either side of it to fill wall. Also add plants in black pots to wall on side of firepl. Lamp should be bigger I wold go silver base and black shade. Add black pillows to sofas. Plants will soften room. Mirror on firepl now way too small.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    When you hang art make sure it's low. A big piece over bench but A foot lower
    I meant to say black pots for all plants.
  • PRO
    Shaw Coates
    10 years ago
    I like the first furniture arrangement but with the bench on the left side of the fireplace and adding a large tree like a fiddle leaf or palm on the right side of the fireplace near the window. I would leave the chest at the back of the room with the mirror above it. A great dark wood coffee and side tables would work well with a larger rug or a similar color to what is their now.
    Williams-Sonoma Home · More Info
    Also consider putting the drapes on a simple ebony rod
    Basket Weave Linen Rod-Pocket Drapery · More Info
    and using larger lamps with a barrel shade
    Jamie Young Lighting Lamp Base Small White Egg · More Info
    with a barrel shaped shade. Also a large piece of art above the fireplace, this 39" square Matisse is available at www.momastore.com
    Matisse: Le Platane Framed Print · More Info
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Add books ect to coffee table. Would love to see them black.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    New area rug for sure that's where you can add some black with a small amount of red and celery green.
  • fbg1138
    10 years ago
    Sarah, you've been a busy girl. For my 2 cents worth...I agree with those who preferred the original arrangement.

I noticed and like that you centered the fireplace with the ac and added a mirror. I like the new round mirror...tho it looks a little under-scaled. If they have a larger one then you might want to give it a try, too. Then decide. If you like that look and depending on where the ceiling fixture you show is placed, then you might add that chandelier (instead of the round ikea) that you mentioned previously.

what i noticed about your new furniture arrangement was that all the furniture was at one end of the room... which makes it seem visually lopsided. Your poor little bench looks lost on the wall by itself. A room is like balancing a scale. If you drew an imaginary line thru it (one line front to back, another side to side)...each side should be equal the other. If your present arrangement was a boat, it would be sinking. ; )

Since you have moved the sofas away from the coffee table, it usefulness for setting drinks on, etc. is nil. Think usability! If the spacing is due to moving the fireplace and centering the sofas on that, then I would suggest bring the right sofa closer to the coffee table (away from the window), adding a sofa table behind it to fill the space and add lamps, photos, etc.

You may notice in all the photos you've posted, everything is basically the same height. I think the room still needs some taller elements in the form of art, plants, lighting, bookcases, armoire, etc. Otherwise, your eye just sweeps across the the room and goes nowhere special. Study some of the pictures others have posted and those you may have of rooms you admire. Break down the elements (furniture, art, lighting, etc.) and I hope that you will understand what I am trying to express.

I think we all agree here that you have made good choices with your basics...so trust your instincts, don't be afraid to return what doesn't work, and experiment with new ideas until you find what pleases you.
  • nikikola
    10 years ago
    The last version is ok.you have more space with armchairs near the fireplace.You need a plant in the corner between window and firepl and a tv in front of firepl.you can remove from wall the mirror and put the tv.
  • nikikola
    10 years ago
    Ps. The wall with red armchair And mirror need somthing like library with tv in it
  • Madeline
    10 years ago
    I will say like others that your original floor plan was working much better in your room. In your effort to finalize the room I believe you might consider painting the walls a soft green color taken from your couch's green. More important I would not hesitate painting your fireplace, and my choice of color would be a very deep charcoal. I would mount a silver framed mirror above it. Regarding the curtains, I don't think the cornice is necessary. By utilizing a black iron or a painted wood curtain rod and adding curtain panels on each side of the window, you could add much needed pattern into the design. You could limit the major colors to green, a very soft red almost coral and a rich cream and a bit of black, If it's still a possibility you can get a second bench and then be able to place one on each side of the fireplace with appropriate artwork above it. Your chest on the opposing wall has a mirror that I feel is too large placed above it. (I also don't know what those black appendages are and it's difficult for me to show my ignorance on houzz but my desire to possibly be of help has won over my vanity. Maybe if this mirror is silver leafed this could be put above your fireplace. A nice black light weight accent chair can be placed on either side of the chest.

I think you could have a nice hanging chandelier in the middle of your room and it would look charming. Please see: http://www.lampsplus.com/products/black-and-olive-16-inch-wide-brushed-steel-swag-chandelier__w2813-t7093.html. I feel the totality of the white tables is too much of a good thing. The end tables could be painted or more cautiously stained a dark charcoal or black. If you are able still return your coffee table and choose a good sized round or oval glass table. This would be super. Your lamps should be larger and maybe a nod to Oriental in style and/or color.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Bench does look to small for wall bring it up to where chairs were. Still add huge art to that wall . Pull all furn towards the back wall to much by firepl. Center more in rm.
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    What about the large mirror over the fp? I do not like the round mirror above fp. Does nothing. Sorry but being honest because you have so much potential for the room!
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    love the new floor plan fits the room size! just try the bench between the new position of end tables as i suggested before..
    and i like the suggestion of huge wall art on the wall opposite fp.
  • nikawareham
    8 years ago

I like all the furniture but I think the scale is off with the fireplace. I would move the bench to the right of the fireplace do a grouping of art above it and move the bigger mirror to over the fireplace. Everything is all the same height in the room and that is what seems odd.

• njmomma
    8 years ago

Watching the progress.....

• drdeb1234
    8 years ago
    2 year old post....
  • drdeb1234
    8 years ago
    2 year old post....