Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josh1r

Need help with fungus

John Thomas
6 years ago

Hi. I've been noticing more and more of the below cropping up into my lawn. I had a lawn company come out and they said it's red thread and dollar spot, and wanted $300 per application (x 3 applications) to spray.

Is that legit pricing or way too high?

Can I just use ready to spray hose attachment bottles from Home Depot? Or I think Scotts has pelletized fungicide but it doesn't get great reviews.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I'm in CT and recently (several weeks ago) did a weed and feed and some lime.

Comments (11)

• User
    6 years ago

How big is your lawn?(in thousand sq ft)

• John Thomas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

20,000 sq ft

• John Thomas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So...whatever is happening is getting worse. I'm pretty sure it's fungus, and I think a lot is red thread.

Should I try the professional at $300/application? Scotts Fungicide granules for $44 (on sale at Walmart)? Some sort of chemical that I'd spray with a hose sprayer (Amazon has a lot of different, well-reviewed products)? Something else???

It's still been wet and cool here in Southern CT.

Should I do nothing (keep liming and feeding my lawn of course) and hope that it goes away as the weather gets nicer?

Thanks again for any thoughts.

• User
    6 years ago

Here's my suggested approach. You willl need:

- A quart of Propiconazole 14.3. You should be able to find it (or a similar, it's the ai that matters not the brand) at your local SiteOne. Or buy it online here:

http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/propiconazole-14-3

- An Ortho hose end sprayer, can find at Walmart, Lowe's etc.

While you wait for the propiconazole, find the setting on the Ortho sprayer that allows you to spray about 5,000 sq ft on one fill. Practice with clear water.

When you get the propiconazole, add 5 oz to the Ortho sprayer bottle, fill the rest with water, mix, and spray the 5,000 sq ft with it. You goal is to apply 1 oz of propiconazole per thousand sq ft. Repeat another 3 times to cover the entire 20,000 sq ft lawn.

Total cost would be about $60, and you have another 12 oz and the hose end sprayer left over to do another app if need be.

• John Thomas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi all. So I haven't yet done anything as I was hoping it would just go away... In any case, it's about the same as it was, but I wanted to post some more pics to see if you still agree that it's fungus, and that it should be treated.

http://imgur.com/a/af7C1

Sorry for the link, rather than actual pics, but you can really zoom in on the pics at the link above.

Separately, does it look like maybe my mower blades aren't sharp enough? Some of the grass tips don't look like they are getting cut very cleanly.

Thank you!

• owlnsr
    6 years ago

Bayer Advanced sells granular propiconazole. (I think it's called bayer advanced fungus control for lawns).

I think it's about $20 or so per 5000 square ft bags.

That might be easier than dragging your hose end sprayer around 20,000 square ft.

• User
    6 years ago

True, but the foliar is about 2.5 times cheaper per thousand and friendlier to beneficial fungi.

• Randy Man
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I agree owlnsr.I have a fungus called dollar spot,Its in a lot of my bermuda so gonna go with the scotts or bayer fungus granular because its so much easier that way.Heres a closeup picture of the webs in my bermuda in the morning

• John Thomas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So I decided to go ahead with the Bayer containing Propiconazole. Was definitely pricier than a liquid, but much easier for me to do. That being said, do you think I should follow the inx on the bag and do another big dose in 14 days? And looking further ahead, should I them put a maintenance rate every 30 days? I'm not inclined to go with the maintenance race since I normally don't have these issues, but I'm thinking another heavy dose per the inx might be a good idea.

Separately, any thoughts on Jonathan Green 10236? It uses Thiophanate-methyl (dimethyl 4,4’-o-phenylenebis[3-thioallophanate]).

Is that any better/worse/different than the Propiconazole?

Thanks again!

• owlnsr
    6 years ago

I would do another follow up app per the bag after 14 days. Depending on how that goes, I would consider maybe another treatment but using something different. If things get worse, I would be looking to use a different active ingredient to avoid resistance to the propiconazole. Personally, I'd reach for the big guns... Heritage G. It's expensive, but it's the best there is at what it does IMO. If I was pressed for cash, I'd look at that Scott's Fungus granular and/or the Jon Green product.

• John Thomas
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks. I grabbed some of the Jon Green and will see how it goes. In the future I'll probably keep rotating among the bayer and jon green, or step up to the Heritage of the other stuff doesn't work. Though hopefully I won't need to keep doing this forever...