Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_skistimas

Is this an acceptable Wood Look Tile Job?

Kelly Skistimas
6 years ago

Hi there,
We have lived in our home 10 years and finally have set aside a small (but large to us) amount of money to redo the downstairs floor. We choose Mohawk Treyburn Noir Oak tile planks - LOVE this tile!
It's 900 square feet and the installer did the job in 2 1/2 days. Along the we way we said it looks good! From our upstairs balcony it did, which is the only place we saw it from because we were told not to walk on it.
Yesterday morning had been 24 hours from grout drying so we did a walk around and are not happy!
-Some tiles are touching and some are spaced - it looks like they didn't use spacers
-some grout is missing
-some tiles are chipped - how many chipped tiles are "acceptable"?
-BIGGEST concern - the edges! Some touch the walls and some have big gaps and some cuts are not straight.
Is this "normal" and "to be expected," or a bad install job?
What, if anything, should the company do?
Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    6 years ago

Gretchen, might want to post a few more photos for better feedback. Also, I'd recommend you repost this under "design dilemma" as I believe it will get greater visibility than Home forums, kitchen. Question: what size grout joint was discussed prior to install? From what I can tell, your concerns do seem valid. Plank tiles do require an experienced pro for install. Layout, grout size, etc. should all be agreed to prior to install. Chipped tiles should not be used. Grout size should be uniform throughout. Hopefully your contractor is reputable and will respond to your concerns, but, if these problems exist throughout, it will be a costly fix for them to tear out and re-do. Best of luck!

• Cody James
    6 years ago

I recently DIY'd a similar tile through most of my house. First experience tiling. Any chipped tile I would not use, or would use it somewhere I was cutting that part out.

In that first picture is that tile grouted to the baseboard? That is a no no. Or is that just empty space? Even that shouldn't be visible. I pulled base boards and tiled with gap to wall and then reinstalled baseboards.

Second picture - I'm addition to the chip, is that a cracked tile?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

More pictures of entire space please. Chipped tile was not allowed on my wood look floor. Spacers were used everywhere.

• eam44
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It's not acceptable. Have you any recourse? That depends on how reputable your installer, and whether you had a contract. A lot of people don't sign contracts for small jobs. I didn't in my beach cottage and all went well, but don't kick yourself if you didn't get one.

Ask the owner to come and see the work. He will know what must be done, or try to convince you it's fine. I hope he is willing to pull it up and lay it properly.

• rantontoo
    6 years ago

WHY would they have used chipped tile...geez?! Did you buy the tile or was it an all-in-one price?

• Stan B
    6 years ago

We had 900 square feet of plank tile laid in our house. Took the installer 8 work days with 2 or 3 people each day (but he had to do quite a bit of levelling on our slab foundation). Still 2 1/2 days seems fast.

Baseboards should have been pulled and reinstalled (or they can cut them down to be able to slide the tile in underneath). That would have cost more. Sometimes installers don't know if you want a low cost job or want to pay more to have them spend more time on it (and then there are the installers who will charge you more to spend more time and still do a poor job).

• chispa
    6 years ago

What you showed, wouldn't be acceptable to me.