Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sahai6

Need Help to Choose Backsplash for My Kitchen, Please Provide Feedback

sahai6
6 years ago

Hi everyone,

Finally, my kitchen renovation is coming close. It is being demolished on June 12. My designer is after me to choose the backsplash.

My kitchen cabinets will be white hi gloss with slab doors. Counter tops are Cambria Swanbridge and tiles will be in medium gray color by Daltile. They will be porcelain tiles in 12 x 24 size. Basically kitchen will be quite contemporary. BTW, my kitchen is south facing and gets tons of lights.

My entire family likes only glass tiles. After seeing so many samples from so many stores., we are set on 2 tiles. Of course, only one tile has to be selected.

Tile 1......it is Conestoga Bellevita tile in Frost series in Midnight color. It is in 2 x 8 size. This tile comes as a bundle of 4 tiles in 1 pack and all 4 tiles are in same color with different textures and design.

Tile 2....it is a sort of mosaic tile form a local tile store. In this picture, you can also see the floor tile.

Here are the pictures of the tiles . All of these pictures have been taken from different angles.

Backsplash · More Info

Backsplash · More Info

Backsplash · More Info

Backsplash · More Info

Backsplash · More Info

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mindy

Comments (6)

• eam44
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Do you have any inspiration images?

I know you think you've found great options, but I think it might be helpful to you to read some of the collected wisdom here on bs selection and start your search with fresh eyes.

This is proposed as a backsplash addition to the New to Kitchens FAQ.

To the age old question, "Do I need a backsplash?" the short answer is yes. You need some sort of backsplash in wet zones to protect your walls, cabinets floors and subfloors from deterioration due to water infiltration, and in your cooking zone to protect your drywall from cooking oils, spills, odors, and cleaning chemicals.

That said, plenty of houzzers have chosen not to have a backsplash, or to delay the choice for budgetary or other reasons. Search for threads with ABB (all but backsplash) in the titles to check those out.

How does one choose a backsplash?

First, like every other process here, we encourage you to do some research on your own, then post your particulars and ask for feedback.

One fundamental question you must consider before all others is whether your counter material or your backsplash will be the focus of your space. Consider images of kitchens with busy counters, and those with commanding backsplashes, and decide which you prefer. Bold counters and tile rarely work well together.

To Wait or Not To Wait

Buying your bs material when you buy your other finishes might prevent delays down the road and could help with electrical outlet placement. Drawbacks include that you are making decisions on colors and finishes based on samples, sample cabinet fishes, sample counter swatches, etc... and that samples don't always represent the final product accurately.

Waiting to buy your bs materials until you have had your counters installed allows you to see sample tiles in your space in your light throughout the day with your actual installed materials. If your cabinets are warmer than you expected, or your counter cooler, you are free to search for a bs material that can pull things together. The only drawback to waiting is that you may have to wait for tiles to be fabricated or to arrive, causing possible delays in the completion of your space.

The majority wisdom on this site favors waiting if that is possible. Regardless of which approach you choose, you should consider your bs as one part of a whole picture of your beautiful new space.

Inspiration Images

These really help you to focus on what your kitchen as a whole will look like. They also give the folks responding to your queries an idea of what looks you like, so they won't recommend white subway tiles if all your inspiration images feature handpainted Mexican tile.

Google images of kitchens with your other materials (white cabinets, walnut floors, etc...) and select which ones you like the look of. What type of bs do they use? The idea is not to copy the look, but to get a feel for looks you like, and communicate those looks to others.

Budget

Finally, we'll need an idea of a materials budget. Installation can account for half of the budget for a backsplash, so take that into consideration in your planning, and deduct accordingly, and let us know how much you want to spend in $/sf for your materials?

It's not very helpful falling in love with a handmade tile in a custom glaze if it costs $100/square foot and your budget for tile is $10/sf, but houzz members are fantastic at finding similar (and occasionally the same) tiles for less money. Without budget numbers it is very difficult for us to truly be of help to you.

How we can help.

The way it works is that we can recommend a surface (usually tile, sheet glass, metal, slab stone or laminate), advise against a choice (color, or busy-ness are the usual reasons), provide you with layout and pattern feedback, and images you might have missed of materials that have worked for us or caught our eye.

"How can I find a bs tile to go with my green floors, counters, and purple cabinets"

The answer might be that you have to paint your cabinets or change your floors to make it right, or maybe some houzzer somewhere will show you an image of a kitchen with a painted tin backsplash that pulls it all together. It has happened before.

Some houzz members are great at photoshopping images together to give you an idea of what a small sample of tile might look like in your space. It is time and effort on their part that can be truly helpful. Remember to say thanks.

I hope we can be helpful!

• Keek Hill
    6 years ago

Wow - you picked some gorgeous options! Honestly, I don't think you will be disappointed either way! I think I slightly prefer the first option - I am really liking the bigger subway style tile and I love the texture that goes with it in the ones you selected. We are also redoing our kitchen and I'm in the process of selecting backsplash and granite. Your choices would go well in our kitchen... I might have to keep them in mind!

Good luck!

sahai6 thanked Keek Hill
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

between these two-definitely the first. has enough dimension and enough interest, and I agree with mayflowers about the mosaics..I noticed mosaics are generally harder to get right unless you up the cost, like, a lot

would be helpful to see a pic with the backsplash tile standing perpedincular to the countertop..that's how they'll be installed, so easier to see the more truthful representation of colors. different position in space-light reflects differently-our perception of color changes

sahai6 thanked aprilneverends
  • sahai6
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi guys,

Sorry for being late in my reply to these messages. I was out of town due to some family emergency.

Thanks to all who have helped me in selecting the tile. Needless to say, I have chosen the first tile. It is a VERY expensive tile and I will have to pay extra to the kitchen contractor. Anyhow, my kitchen demolition is already underway! I will post some pictures after the kitchen is done. Actually I am getting my entire 1st floor renovated. So it will be quite some time before it becomes worthy of taking pictures:-).

Best,

Mindy

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Mindy, that first one will be worth it.

sahai6 thanked cpartist