Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leslie2004

Fisher & Paykel washer GWL11 inlet valve replaced now leaks again

leslie2004
6 years ago

Hi - 9 months ago we had the water inlet valves replaced due to a slow drip into the tub. Today it's doing it again. I called the repair company and won't hear back until Monday but I'm guessing this won't fall under any warranty after 9 months.

Does it seem possible that a new fill valve would fail so quickly (1st valve replacement last summer was after 12 years with no other problems ever)? We do have hard water - is it possible that sediment would collect that quickly to cause a drip?

Now I'll reveal my true ignorance but am I supposed to be doing any routine maintenance on sediment filters to avoid buildup? I read a post where someone said they were late doing that - they normally do every 3 months - and I've never done that at all and didn't know it was something I had to do.

Final question - if I schedule an appointment should I replace this valve again after just 9 months if that's what they recommend? I know there are posts with great detailed advice on doing it yourself but trust me it's not something I can or would try.

The price for the inlet valve replacement last time was $230ish so at some point I know it's better to get a new machine. We're limited in the size we can fit (upstairs hallway closet) so I don't relish the idea of replacing this F&P. 9 months ago I looked at Speed Queens but the appliance sales guy talked us into trying to fix ours rather than buy new and said the Speed Queen might not work out for us in the 2nd floor closet scenario - too much vibration maybe?

Any thoughts? TIA.

Comments (3)

• dadoes
    6 years ago

Debris collecting on the inlet valve sediment screen won't cause a leak.

Debris passing through the sediment screen will cause a leak if it obstructs the valve from closing.

Cleaning the sediment screen is to prevent collected sediment/debris (if any) from reducing the water flow rate.

The hot and cold valves are separate parts. Which was replaced? The same one is leaking now?

A cold valve can be had from online sources for $68 (or less). A hot valve is $58 (or less). Your cited $230 cost reflects the servicer's trip, labor, and taxes.

• leslie2004
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Both were replaced last year. I went to the appliance store yesterday (where we bought the F&P and they repaired it last year). Service dept wasn't open but sales guy said it would be very unusual for the new solenoid to fail in 9 months. Our water is hard but not crazy hard or not full of sediment.

So I have no idea - could it have been installed wrong in any sense or a faulty part? Seems unlikely.

Our space constraints and the limited options that will fit are discouraging. I'd hate to have to get a small apartment version.

The Speed Queen top loader should fit in the space. Sales guy said those are being phased out due to federal regulations - implied they would only get bigger. I'm inclined to just get the current SQ rather than fool with the F&P any more. It has another issue of scrud building on the outside of the tub so we're already sick of dealing with that periodically.

• dadoes
    6 years ago

There's no trick to installing the valves. Set them into the mixing chamber, connect the wires, run a test fill to confirm there's no leaking from the insertion ports, etc.

Both valves are leaking? Highly unusual. Any recent plumbing work that may have dislodged sediment from the household supply lines?

Another possibility is a problem with the control board passing current to the valves when the machine is otherwise not running. Does unplugging the machine stop the dripping?

Sounds like you're wanting a new washer either way.