Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veroniquebelle

Furniture advice

I need advice on what type of furniture I should be getting for this space! I have included a sketch of the layout of the space. It's an open concept living room, dining room and kitchen. My floors are extra wide plank and lift in colour, you can see a bit of it in the picture of my countertops.

Comments (9)

• Véronqiue Bellé
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here's a photo of my floor and another angle where you will see my dining room space next to my spiral stair case! There will be black wrought iron spindles on them. I have also opted for black knobs and hinges throughout the house.
  • User
    6 years ago

Love your kitchen design, especially those counter tops!

Your space is pretty modern, so I would choose furniture pieces with clean lines and simple geometry. Everything is very neutral in color so you have a great opportunity to play with color in your living room!

Bold Look:

Beverly 2-Piece Sectional Sofa, Navy, Chaise on Left · More Info

Savannah Club Chair, Royal Blue · More Info

New Wave Navy Rug, 5'3"x8' · More Info

East at Main Rowden Off-White Wood and Capiz Round Coffee Table · More Info

Neutral Look:

Ingrid Sectional, Blue · More Info

Marion Barrel Armchair, Ivory · More Info

Nourison Karma Blue Area Rug, 7'10"x10'6" · More Info

Hammary Sanford Round Nesting Cocktail Tables, Acid Washed Copper · More Info

Best of Luck,

Melissa, Interior Designer at The Architects

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Beautiful counter tops.... I always caution agains sectionals as you are limited to moving your furniture around the room and are limited where it can be placed then stuck in a sense. I think comfortable couches and chairs are the best option as you can place things as you and even rearrange if you tire of the layout over time.

If you love sectionals, just know it limits your furniture and layout.

Do you have kids and want certain fabric vs. other or lean toward leather?

Do you prefer a lot of color or are you more minimalistic and like to add color with toss pillows and art, etc?

• Véronqiue Bellé
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Beautiful options provided above! Unfortunately, I have a dog that sheds quite a bit (she's ginger/blonde).... I love velvet couches but they are not really realistic with a dog and a fiancé that owns a garden centre and comes home dirty and sits on the couch. I need a fabric that I can clean.

I love colour and am not afraid to add lots of cushions, beautiful rugs and artwork. I want wow worthy floor to ceilings curtains to accentuate my 9 foot ceilings.

I'm obsessed with gold at the moment so I'd love to add a touch of it. As for sectionals I like how comfortable they are, we're looking for a 4-seater L-shape sectional. I was told to go for leather but I'm afraid it will look dated. I found a leather sectional that looked somewhat modern that could work but I have no clue what colour is choose. See attached.

My style is clean and modern but I still want it to look homie, nothing too ultra modern.
  • User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Leather tends to look dated when it is doesn't have much texture to it. You can modernize it a bit by adding different textures via cushions, throws, or rugs.

625 Italian Leather Sectional, RHFC, Pumpkin, Add Ottoman · More Info

Nuevo Aurora Marble Coffee Table · More Info

Casa Eroded Blue and Red Rug, 3'10"x5'5" · More Info

Best of Luck,

Melissa, Interior Designer at The Architects

• Véronqiue Bellé
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Are there other sofa fabrics I should consider? Any recommendations?
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

I don't think the right leather sectional will look dated at all....

The one you posted is pretty and clean lines.... you could do a round table with brushed brushed gold.

Most importantly knowing the size of the room and the size of the sectional, where you will have a tv if one will go in this room. I see your rendering so it appears you have that on the wall in front of the floating sectional.

Picking an area rug that is large enough for the sectional is key. Often you might work on those two items first before anything else.

The area rug given the size and the couch will be your larger purchases so best to choose them first.

given the floors and the sectional I see a simple rug then bring in your brushed gold later and toss pillows, etc.

or bold and bright?

• Véronqiue Bellé
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Exactly, that is why I'm trying to find what type of sectional I will be getting. Once that is decided I will purchase a large rug and accent chairs. I'm just struggling with what colour and fabric the sectional should be. Once I have decided on a couch and rug I think the rest should fall into place.
  • Katelin Cannon
    4 years ago

Hi Veronique, can you tell me more about your floors? What kind of wood they are, where you got them, and the color? Thank you so much! I absolutely love them.