Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elimorgan

Cover kitchen pass through with what?

Elizabeth
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello, I'm doing a minor kitchen renovation and I'm deciding what to do with closing the pass-through above the kitchen sink. If storage wasn't an issue, what is the most economical and aesthetically pleasing option?

1, Remove all upper cabinets, paint wall and add floating shelves across length of wall

2. Remove all upper cabinets, add white subway tile to ceiling and add floating shelves across length of wall

3. Keep upper kitchen cabinets, remove side display shelving, replace current backsplash with white subway tile, add floating shelves over pass through enclosure

4. Another creative option?

thank you.

Comments (13)

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    I'm not a fan of pass-throughs, but this definitely adds considerable natural light to the space.
  • Maria Privat
    6 years ago

If it really must go, I think number 3 is the best of your ideas. For if you are a bit like us and most other people, you'd sorely miss the upper cabinets. You can store more in those than on shelves and it doesn't get as dirty.

I'm not sure though if a white subway tile is the best choice, for it makes it all too white. I made that mistake once and regretted it ever since. Since you don't have to change that much, go for expensive tiles. Those 200 bucks extra is worth every dime once you see what they do for a kitchen. Maybe you could consider cremy tiles? Those handmade ones, in like 5 different shades of creme I mean. That's art in itself.

For number four: Forget the open shelves of your number 3. You could place just one shelve on top of the cabinets on either side of the sink, and in it or from it have an extra light source - be it not natural - on your work space. For you will sorely miss the light there too. You can even add a piece of art there as a focal point. Make sure it is not vulnerable to water though.

Personally I'm not a big fan of side display shelves, since they attract stuff and dirt, so I would leave those off.

For number five: Do not close it up, but make a window in it, so you do have some privacy and no smells from the kitchen elsewhere, but still have the light. Ditch the side display shelves, because they are too close to it and dress the window up a bit.

Enjoy!

Elizabeth thanked Maria Privat
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

I would change the backsplash, but only if I was sure I was keeping the countertop for another 10 years. Backsplash comes last because it can get damaged in a countertop change out or the new counter is thicker or thinker than the old - making it hard to fit with the backsplash properly. I see nothing wrong with the countertop - but I may be missing something in a photo that could be seen in real life.

If you close up the pass through, the sink will face a wall. Not the end of the world, but if the pass through allows for a view or to be able to see the TV, you might want to keep it.

Shelves can be very pretty if styled right. In real life they can become cluttered and need extra upkeep. I favor them over cabinetry that is seriously ugly or falling apart, but the cabinets look fine. You could do a compromise - a cabinet with a set of shelves next to it. For open shelving, it works out best if the lower shelf only is used for plates and glasses while the upper has some appropriate kitchen decor in your style. I do like that open shelving can give a place for some decor and personality in a kitchen, but know yourself - how neat can you keep it. I do have one open cabinet/plate rail in my kitchen and I like how it adds to the style - that is a personal preference thing.

You can also have the inner panel routed out of the cabinet door and replaced with glass to give a more open look but protected from dust. You can also remove doors and rework a cabinet to open shelving.

Elizabeth thanked jhmarie
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

I agree about not closing up the pass through. I wouldn't want to lose the natural light or the connection it gives to the rest of the house. I spent 26 years staring at a blank wall doing dishes and it was no fun. I would consider removing only one cabinet on either side of the pass through and adding open shelving there or doing as suggested by leaving the cabinets and adding glass to the doors. A whole wall of shelving is going to require finding a whole wall's worth of "stuff" to decorate it with.

Elizabeth thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

why are you closing it?

I suppose it could look like this:

I would rather move the sink to underneath the window and put a stove where the sink is now. make it look something like this:

or this

Elizabeth thanked Beth H. :
  • Elizabeth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi, we are closing opening because we are adding a 3rd bedroom to the other side and now need to close for privacy. I agree about not staring at a wall while doing dishes, so trying to visualize what would be good in the space. I am adding a white quartz countertop so msybe a colored subway tile backsplash will add to the space?

• thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago
    When you loose the sense of openness when the opening is filled in I think you will feel hemmed in with cabinets on that wall. You may be able to have some closed cabinets at the far ends but you definitely want a wide stretch of either nothing but nice tile or nice tile with open shelves....this photo shows the open shelves but I think they are mounted a tad too low...
    Chicago Condo Remodel · More Info
    Elizabeth thanked thinkdesignlive
  • thinkdesignlive
    6 years ago
    And when you do this work you may want to consider loosing the junk collecting spot under the windows for continued counter space with storage below. It will feel like less of a storage hit when you loose some upper cabinets. Those dinky little desk spaces in the kitchen like yours feel very dated.
  • Elizabeth
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I totally agree. Thank you for the feedback.

• auntthelma
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I like the plate rack idea above.

Another idea is to do a mosaic above the sink to take the place of the window.

Eclectic Kitchen · More Info

Manhattan Beach - Cape Cod · More Info

Elizabeth thanked auntthelma
  • auntthelma
    6 years ago

Clyde Hill Estate · More Info

Mediterranean Haven · More Info

Renovation to a Maine Seaside Home · More Info

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

I actually found a fun piece of art to hang above my sink so at least I was looking at something interesting! I think I would leave a little breathing room over the sink if you plan on adding shelving.

Elizabeth thanked katinparadise