Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stacey6180

Opinions on a touch or a touch free faucet?

stacey6180
6 years ago

Trying to choose a faucet and these intrigue me.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Also, what have most of you done as far as in counter soap dispenser vs. free standing?

Comments (22)

• Stan B
    6 years ago

Recommend you look at this thread.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4141408/moen-motionsense-kitchen-faucet-will-not-work?n=33

Faucets have worked fine for 100+ years without a battery. Why put yet another part in your kitchen that's going to easily break and frustrate you?

• stacey6180
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Stan Z.... I guess that answered that question.

• User
    6 years ago

Agree with Stan.

• Magnolia
    6 years ago

We have a Delta Essa touch faucet, and we've really enjoyed it.

• S.
    6 years ago

I was contemplating the same thing, until I looked at spec sheet- and imagined the grumbling that would come from my husband as he replaced batteries, lol. Nixed that idea!

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

The touch free faucets in my workplace operatory go off and on spontaneously and then will not go on when you have your hands under them.

• Fori
    6 years ago

Tapmaster. Worth every penny plus it annoys guests. Win.

• Buehl
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

All the touchless/motion sensor faucets I've ever used were a pain to use - they stayed on too long at the end and not long enough when I was using them. You had to be certain you had something directly in front of the sensor to keep them running. I've used them in both commercial and residential settings.

If you really want to be able to turn a faucet on/off without touching the handle or adjusting the water temperature (for "chicken hands" or even hands full), I recommend looking into Tapmaster.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2597385/which-model-tapmaster-do-you-have-would-you-buy-it-again

• Buehl
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Soap dispensers...I have both an in-counter soap dispenser and a freestanding soap dispenser at both sinks (prep & cleanup).

Prep Sink...The in-counter holds dish detergent via a warehouse-size container and Never MT so I only have to "refill" it once or twice a year. The freestanding holds hand soap - I usually have Bath & Body Works seasonal foaming soaps, so it works out well.

BTW...a couple of times I was unable to find warehouse-size dish detergent bottles and just used the container that came with the soap dispenser - it held enough to last a couple of months but it is a bit messy if you're not careful when filling (another reason to stick with the Never MT!). (I have the Kohler soap dispensers.)

Cleanup Sink...The in-counter holds dial hand soap and the freestanding is actually a dish detergent bottle. My DH cleans up and he likes to be able to squirt the dish detergent where he wants it and not be confined to one corner of the sink.

Never MT: http://custominserts-store.stores.yahoo.net/nevsoapandlo.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2535737/never-mt-vs-other-soap-dispensers

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    sensor taps are a pain. The one's at a public centre near me have the sensors behind the bend of the arm (arm is horizontal with a 90º bend down), which don't sense hands below, where water exits with the result that you need to hold one hand behind the bend to use water for the other. I cringe
  • just_janni
    6 years ago

Hubby has conned me into using 2 of these in bathrooms that will mostly be used as a "half bath" or toilet only function. I relented. Let's just say, though, that I bought "back up" faucets in case I have to do that ridiculous "tell the faucet I am here long enough to wash my damn hands" dance in my own home.

Counterpoint, my good friend has a touch less and she LOVES it for when she has "chicken hands"....

• stacey6180
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Back to the drawing board....Tapmaster, NeverMT, I had never even heard of these items. I guess I need to do a lot more research. Thank you so much for all the suggestions!

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

I don't eat chicken, but I always avoided the "sticky hands" thing by keeping a half paper towel on the counter to put in my hand when I touch things, if I am getting stuff on my hands. In the old apartment with no hardware on the uppers I almost always used a paper towel to open the cabinets anyway to avoid touching the finish. It's very low tech.

• Najeebah
    6 years ago
    low tech works! a knuckle is often clean enough to use on an easy to open tap. or wipe off your hands before washing them. Or latex gloves, works wonders. or another person in the kitchen. or just wash the handles after washing your hands. or any of a thousand things people used before faulty sensors were invented
  • User
    6 years ago

For chicken hands, I keep a bowl of sudsy (sometimes a touch of bleach) set inside the sink. At least this way I can initially wash my hands before handling the faucet. It is the pepper grinder that gets especially clumsy, but sandwich bags work in a pinch for gloves.

• kfpwvt
    6 years ago

I have and love my Moen Motionsense Arbor. Reusing it in my under construction kitchen and getting another for my second sink. I have read the thread with other people's problems but have experienced non if it. The front sensor is great but it does take a little getting used to to avoid getting wet by mistake. And it sometimes gets guests. But it could be turned off for parties. But is my favorite part daily. The only time mine has come on by mistake is I think twice a lot of hot steaming pasta water triggered it. I have had the handle come loose and was sent replacement parts for that for no charge. I did get the adapter to plug in vs use batteries. I'll be curious to see if there are any issues in my new location - it will now be in a very bright sunny spot. I wonder if something in the light around it is why dorm people have had problems? Or if there are problems with the newer ones? Mine is from 2012.

• Sue 430
    6 years ago

I really don't understand why so many are negative about these. I have the Koehler sensate. I am IN LOVE with it. I cook a lot, and hate touching the faucet with gooky, or worse hands that have touched raw chicken or meat. I just wave my hand near the faucet and it comes on. I can also turn it on with the handle if I want. It shuts off automatically after 4 minutes in case you forget to turn it off. It's one of my favorite things in my new, almost finished kitchen. As far as built in soap dispensers, my husband is convinced they never work so he vetoed that. I got a stand alone touchless dispensor which I also like. And the faucet doesn't have batteries, it plugs in. The soap dispensor does have batteries.

• dhanamasala
    6 years ago

I've had a delta and brizo touch for 7 years and never had any problems. Love them. I keep my soap freestanding.

• christinekaye
    6 years ago

I just put in the Tapmaster and I am happy with it. My electrician warned against the touch faucet, as his is temperamental. My contractor has Brizio and is happy with it. You have a lot more choices if just getting a 'normal' faucet + tapmaster. I have been lurking this site for years and this is one of the topics people seem pretty passionate about.

• atiman
    6 years ago

I have a delta touch kitchen faucet. I love it. So far we haven't had any problems with it nor having to change the batteries (it's been 6 months). I love the delta so much that when I install our island sink. I'm buying another one or something with the same technology. I don't like the motion sensor faucets.

I considered the Tapmaster, but opted for the touch. If the Tapmaster were a bit cheaper I think I would have considered it cause it can be used with any faucet.

• seb225
    6 years ago

I love my Kohler Sensate also. It's dependable and works perfectly, and plugs into an outlet instead of needing batteries. A hand wave turns it on and off, or you can use the handle. I have a decorative pump dispenser on the counter for dish soap. Hands are typically washed in the bathroom, unless it's cooking hands. For those I have a motion sensor dispenser with hand soap.