Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lunarocket34

Having trouble pinning down my future kitchen location and shape!

I first posted over in [Design Dilemma[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/small-island-with-small-peninsula-or-huge-island-kitchen-dsvw-vd~4680800) (DD) and someone suggested I pop on over here.

DH and I are going to build a post frame house so we can have as few or as many interior walls as we want. I'm putting up 3 photos. The first is where the kitchen last stood over in DD. I'm showing the entire living room/dining/kitchen/canning room plan.

I'm just not happy with the kitchen tucked off in the corner so I have flipped the canning room to the front of the house, the table to the back and the kitchen to the left. I like the kitchen location as it's open to the living room but now I have to deal with the hall to the bedrooms, the front door, etc. (I already tried the table to the right of the kitchen instead of the canning room but all that pantry storage had to go to the far right wall.)

The grid is 1 foot squares. I made the exterior walls black, those can't be moved. The red squares in the walls are the posts that cannot be messed with, the doors and windows can be moved around between them, but not to the far left as that's a small bedroom wall. (house is L-shaped, bedroom wing starts just to the left of the kitchen window.)

I rather like the 2 island thing, sort of, it's out of the box for me and haven't had a lot of time to think about it yet.

So I tried something like this, but it makes a long walk around from the 2 small bedroom wing.

A little more info. DH and I are the only occupants. The 2nd and 3rd bedrooms are for guests which happens at Christmas. So other than using one of those rooms as my den, there isn't a lot of traffic. (laundry is over there, too.) Master bedroom door is just above the fridge. I placed the sink so it's centered on the front window.

Should I go back to the 2 island plan but put the sink island up on the wall? So many options, I think often new construction is so much harder to figure out than remodelling! (we've done both before.)

So, what do you think?

Comments (9)

• Buzz Solo in northeast MI
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is one more version with the island swapped with the peninsula. It certainly divides the living room from the kitchen, but puts the fridge and probably the coffee maker further from the master BR. Still thinking the 2 island concept might be the best of these 3.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

can you show the whole house plan too?

Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@cpartist here is the whole house plan thus far. The exterior walls and locations of the posts (in red) is set in stone. I'm still not satisfied with the bathrooms and definitely not the MBR closet. It would be much easier if I didn't want that separate soaking tub. But the only way those would affect the kitchen is if I moved that bathroom wall into the kitchen and made it smaller.

We must have the living room and master BR in the back for the view and not facing the road. Yes, those 2 other bedrooms are small but other than one being for my 2 week guest at Christmas and the other for my sewing room, they won't be used.

@buehl, I'm looking at the building home forum, oddly they have no FAQ. But we already have the land, the site is picked, we know where the view is, etc. But perhaps I can still try posting there and see what happens.

(edited to add photo)

• cpartist
    6 years ago

no pic posted but I strongly suggest starting in the building a home forum to get the best design for your new build. Be sure to post your elevations and lot too

• Buehl
    6 years ago

"...here is the whole house plan thus far"

The picture did not post.

Regarding FAQs...I think they do have a couple of threads they sometimes direct people to. When Houzz took over GardenWeb, we lost the ability to create & maintain FAQs -- one of the major functions we lost and never regained.

Original Author
    6 years ago

I added the photo to the post. But I've since moved the bedroom/kitchen wall a foot to the right and am moving bathroom walls all around. I'll start a thread over in home builders when I get a chance later today. Thanks.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Is there a reason you put the garage where the best passive solar heating and cooling would be? (south)

Is there a reason you want your main windows facing east meaning you'll only get light through them for a few hours during the morning? Meaning your kitchen and living spaces will get almost no natural light. Especially with the windows you're designing.

Additionally, your master closet is too small for hanging clothes and walking into it. Clothes take up 2' of space meaning your walking area is only 2'.

In the master bath you have a linen closet opposite the tub but no way to open the closet and get into the space.

In the living room you put furniture seating with only 4' between the chairs. That means your guest will be on top of one another when chatting.

Your canning area only has 4' of walking space between the aisles. Try it and see how narrow that is.

Is there really no door between the master bedroom and the bathroom?

You do realize your garage is larger than your main living areas?

Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh I know lots of these things. Some I have little control over as DH wants a huge garage. I did manage to get the utility room put in there instead of inside the house where he first put it. I'd like to get the 2nd chest freezer out there as well. He has decided these outer walls are final as well. I'm going along for the ride on this. 3 months ago this wasn't even on the horizon. The housing market up here is crap, we will be lucky if we can sell the house we're in now.

What we are building is essentially a post frame barn with a house in it. The structure is engineered, but we are building it ourselves, hiring out things we don't like to do such as drywall. (we can do drywall and do it quite well, but we aren't as young as we used to be). A week ago he said it's a done deal, the exterior walls are as you see them, no changes allowed. It's possible I could get him to rotate the house some but the view, such as it is, is in the direction the living room windows are facing now. This is on farm land, it's flat, there are trees in the distance. The driveway already exists which is why the garage is on that side.

As for furniture positions in the LR those just happen to be the 4 wing chairs we own now. I stuck them in to make sure things didn't get too tight. DH has actually said we could get some new furniture, I almost fell over.

And the MBR door just disappeared at some point. I just hadn't noticed.

However as this is the kitchen forum I shall bow out for now and head over into the building forum. Thanks.