Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the3rogers

Purchasing Laminate Vinyl Plank flooring from "Box Stores" Yay or Nay

the3rogers
6 years ago

Any words of wisdom on this Subject? Would like to know if you have purchased from them and what your experience was...can't beat the price that's for sure! We would be installing it in our entire house approx 1700 Sq ft.

Comments (13)

• User
    6 years ago

Absolutely. Just make sure that you purchase extra,extra. Box stores clearance items frequently and you don't want to be left short. Product quality is great.

the3rogers thanked User
  • chiflipper
    6 years ago

Check the "lot" number on each box and be sure to store / stack it according to the manufacturer's directions. Floor preparation is crucial...clean, level, and smooth.

the3rogers thanked chiflipper
  • leelee
    6 years ago

Are you putting the flooring in yourself?

The biggest problems I have are 1) the big box stores do not do their own installations. They sub them out.

2) People think big box stores are the least expensive--this isn't the case. Shop around and ask questions.

the3rogers thanked leelee
  • Sharon
    6 years ago
    We just put in Smartcore Ultra from Lowes by US Floors. Approximately 1,000 square feet and we have a few boxes on hold for future repairs if needed. Very please so far even though we haven't put it through its paces. It works for this stage and place in our lives.
  • User
    6 years ago

It really is not very difficult to install on your own. Just make sure you prep the areas as suggested by manufacturer. Prep is extremely important.

the3rogers thanked User
  • the3rogers
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for your feedback..it's quite scary to think about spending all that $$ on a product you know very little about... we continue to learn a bit more each Day!

Mocreidhl: Good thinking about ordering extra product never would have thought about that.

Chiflipper: We meet with our installer today to get a quote will discuss floor prep work with him.

leelee: we have our own installer he laid a floor in a rental we just sold. Have been shopping floor stores galore and the box stores seem to be the best deal so far..hopefully it won't be "you get what you pay for"

Sharon: Love, love, love your floor!! What color is It? We looked at Smartcore from Lowes...does yours have the cushioned backing? Wondering how necessary it is....

• Sharon
    6 years ago
    We looked at quite a few LVT floors and this was much thicker and heavier than many others. It is the ultra so it does have the backing and I really think it's worth the extra expense.

Our color is Woodford Oak and it's got a good mix of light, medium and dark boards.

Keep us up to date with what you decide. We did the install ourselves so that really saves some money.
    the3rogers thanked Sharon
  • the3rogers
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Sharon..we are heading back to Home Depot today and swinging by Lowe's after that. We can't install ourselves but do have a qualified guy that we trust. Will keep you posted.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

I may be out of the loop with all flooring materials, but aren’t laminate and vinyl two entirely different products? Whatever, I would never install laminate flooring..just two of many issues…its loud…”click,click” and it is not waterproof.

https://parterreflooring.com/vinyl-flooring-vs-laminate-flooring/

• millworkman
    6 years ago

"Product quality is great."

And some is not. Seconds, end runs, closeout's, any and all happen all the time. Caveat Emptor, research, research, research............

the3rogers thanked millworkman
  • the3rogers
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    you are right Judy.. I just meant vinyl planking.
  • Sharon
    6 years ago
    @the3rogers did you ever decide on a floor????