Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_homan39

Health check and ID for 2 succulents

Jessica Homan
6 years ago

Help please this is my first time caring for succulents. I have them planted in the front yard in Phoenix Az where they receive about 5 hours direct sunlight a day. I was watering them once a day, then of course my boyfriend thought they needed more because of our heatwave and started to give them water 3 times a day. Is the browning on the leaves and yellowing a sign of over watering? Is this to much sun for these guys should I just move them into pots under the porch? Any help would be much appreciated thank you.

Comments (23)

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

They look fried by the Arizona sun. There's a couple things you could do:).

First one is repot and put in a place with no harsh Arizona sun just lots of bright filtered light. Like you've stated your porch is a good spot for them. I have lots of succulents on my porch. The ones that just aren't the biggest fans of my summer sun;). It's always best to acclimatize your plants. As you now know.

Second idea is to block them from the sun. Put a pot or other plant in front of them.

Here's an example of what I mean by putting a plant or whatever in front of the burned plant. The sempervivum is getting sun now, but once 1pm comes around the cactus will block him from the harsh afternoon sun.

• Jessica Homan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    That is a very good idea I never thought about putting something large in front. I will try that first, before putting them in a pot. Any idea what these two are called? Also thank you very much for your reply.
  • Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

1. Is definitely a Pachyphytum. Maybe P. viride:).

2. I'm not sure tbh. Could be a Senecio. I'm thinking S. mandralis:). Did they have a blue hue when you purchased them?

• kwie2011
    6 years ago

Watering three times a day will kill them in any climate, but they'll rot exceptionally fast in 115 degrees. Excessive heat and water are a potent combination. Bacteria and fungus live to be wet and warm, and plants won't be actively growing, so they 'll quickly rot.

I agree with Kara about the pot. Not all deserts are the same, and the Sonora desert is inhospitable to many succulents from other parts of the world. It'll take it a while to replace the leaves that are fried, but once it's vigorous again,you can gradually introduce it to more sun if you like so that you can eventually plant it in the ground. There are better species for your climate though. Native species would be your best bet if you want a xeric landscape. Most Phoenix nurseries can help you with that.

Watering will depend on several factors: temperature; whether its in active growth; humidity; growing medium; pot size, etc. Unless it's planted in straight grit like granite chips, daily water is way too often. In a standard Miracle Grow-type cactus soil, assuming full shade and some recovery time from the sunburn, watering once in 10 days is probably adequate- you must check for dampness before watering again. Wait until soil is almost dry. When it's established and growing, it'll use more water. When in doubt. Don't water.

• Jessica Homan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    No I don't remember the blue hue, just a vibrant green color. Thank you so much for your help identifying them. I did some research and you were spot on. Thank you thank you very much!

What I have learned if anyone comes across this in the future, the top picture one does like the sun but requires less watering, they also are dormant in the summer. The bottom picture one definitely does not like a lot of watering and go dormant in the winter.
  • Jessica Homan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I like that when in doubt don't water. Thank Kwie2011. I think I have decided to put them under the porch for now and like you said introduce them back slowly when healthy again.
  • Lauren (Zone 9a)
    6 years ago

Jessica, I think now is the absolute worse time to put them out. Aside from the record-breaking temperatures we are experiencing now, they need to be acclimated to the Phoenix temps and sun.

It is warm enough here all year round to set them out in late February maybe and let them adjust and prepare for the summer. I've found that the succulents and cacti that have survived outside (in the shade) for me end up shedding, for lack of a better word. That is, they drop a lot of leaves and pads and then regroup and produce new stronger ones that can cope with the heat.

but, I have limited experience with outdoor succulents here. In any case, right now, it would be dangerous to put anything out. The amount of water it would need would kill it before it could be helpful....

• Jessica Homan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you Lauren for sharing your experience growing succulents in Arizona. I don't know much about them, and or anyone who is growing them here. I thought since they were drought tolerant they would thrive planted outside. Now putting them in pots are sounding like a better idea if I want them to survive.
  • Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Very easy common mistake:). Lots of people think these things grow in the desert so they should be fine. Not all succulents grow in hot arid climates.

Most succulents are born and bred in greenhouses. Which block out some sun. I've been in some dirty greenhouses where I bet those dirty greenhouse panels block out lots of sun;). Then they get shipped to the store, and you buy them. You put them out in full sun, and bam they're burned. I don't mean you like I'm pointy my finger at YoU. I'm just using your scenerio as an example. It's a very common mistake.

There are lots of succulents that don't really do well in all day sun. Especially your all day sun. Even the hardiest cactus could burn if not acclimated.

Even I know better and still make the mistake;).

Whoops. This was just one day I forgot to move it in 100F weather. This plant is making a slow turnaround. So if this charred plant can do it. I'm sure yours will:).

• Jessica Homan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yikes yes that is what mine look like, and here I thought it was from over watering. So question can succulents that are potted, can they come inside during our high peak sun times, or would air conditioning be a shock for them?
  • Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

They would be fine coming in the house on those hot days:).

Honestly as long as your porch doesn't get beat by the sun where they're in shade when it's like 110F. They should be fine there.

It's been hot here too. The weather forecast says 93F, but my outside thermometer says 103F. They lie those weather forecasts!

• Jessica Homan
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ok very good, thank you so much for your help Kara.
  • Lauren (Zone 9a)
    6 years ago

Best of luck, Jessica. It's definitely a new challenge growing things here:). At least you weren't silly enough to put a regular houseplant out there in the sun, like some people I know:).

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    6 years ago

Lauren did the houseplant just turn white or shrivel into nothing:)?

• Paul MI
    6 years ago

There's something else to consider, as well -- time of day. Jessica mentioned "5 hours of direct sun". But what time of day are we looking at here? Even here in the north, there is a significant difference between direct sun from 7am-noon and noon to 5pm. (Even greater difference if the plant is under a tree or other shade source such that the plant receives direct sun early in the morning and again later in evening.) So in addition to hardening off the plants, placing them where they will be shaded during the hottest part of the day can make a big difference as well.

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    6 years ago

Paul: there is no such thing as shade or time of day when the sun is hottest right now in Phoenix. It stays hot all day into the night and the sun is ferocious. this is just not the time.

even after the sun starts going down, it is oppressively hot. I mean, my dangling earrings burned the side of my face hot. Like, you can't even touch your own car door hot. Like, you can die within 30 minutes of being outside in the shade hot.

hot. Really damn hot. I couldn't even pick up the quarters in my side tray to put them in the machine for air for tires yesterday. Then couldn't touch the air screw cover thing to hook the hose up to the tire. Then burned hand on hubcap.

I am ranting now. I just want people to understand how hot it is here right now.

• kwie2011
    6 years ago

I lived there 30 years, Lauren. I feel your pain. I remember one summer when the intersection of Indian School and...something had to be closed because the asphalt had softened so much in the heat that cars were misshaping the roadway. And people in the East will say, "yeah, but it's a DRY heat!" LOL. They just can't imagine it. Godforsaken climate. Your overnight lowes right now are what, about 90-95?

I bailed out, and only ever returned when I had no choice, like caring for my dying father.

And the monsoon and 60% humidity are coming soon! And it won't cool off substantially until October.

You can come up here to the PNW, Lauren. Nobody owns air conditioners. The clouds didn't clear this year until 2 days ago, and we're having a mini heat wave of 93, 100, 93 and everyone thinks the world is ending. Clouds are scheduled to return on Tuesday. ;-)

Oh, and there's some nut job here in Eugene who drives around in an entirely chrome Magnum- chromed instead of painted. Can you imagine a chrome car in Phoenix? It'd be like some kind of death ray machine.

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    6 years ago

Oh Kwie, God bless you for that message! Lolololololol! Somebody understands!

You know, all of the natives and older folks are saying that this is pretty exceptional heat in these past two years. Our overnight lows here in the center city are about 97-99, slightly lower in the foothills.

things are melting randomly and people are acting weird, weirder than normal. Lol.

How I would love to visit your lovely clouds and temperate weather. But, to add insult to injury, the planes are no longer flying out regularly because it is too hot to fly. Yikes.

• kwie2011
    6 years ago

Too hot to fly? That sounds like something made up by the city council to keep everyone from fleeing the city. ;-)

• letsgobird7b
    6 years ago

Hahaha, I read where they grounded the planes because it was too hot. Last year when it was 100 plus or minus a degree of two, over nearly a week, I thought my tires were going to melt. I didn't like driving in it.

Kwie, I want to move to the PNW!!! I would love cloudy rainy days. I'm allergic to the sun, lol.

• kwie2011
    6 years ago

I used to love cloudy, rainy days too, but the PNW has them like Phoenix has heat and sun: a relentless, mind-numbing monotony of them.

Still, I wouldn't trade this tedium for the misery of a Phoenix summer.

• Lauren (Zone 9a)
    6 years ago

Yes, Kara, it was really too hot to fly! But what you said makes sense, because truly, most of my colleagues leave for the summer (as do I). Add in the visitors at Las Vegas who don't know what the hell hit them, and people would be crowding the airports trying to leave!

They would be at the airport counters like, "I don't care where. Somewhere cold. Just pick a cold place and give me a ticket to there."