Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_bustopher

Tangerine Skies??

By any chance, does anyone grow this orange climber from Kordes? I see it as being advertised and available from Wayside Gardens, but I am curious if anyone is growing it. If you have it, could you please comment and post any pictures if you have any. Thanks.

Comments (130)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

That's good to know, Ben. Mine's still small.

• Bryan Turner
    4 years ago

I have heard that lavender crush has a strong fragrance. Is that true? Also, tell me about the coloration from young bud to old bud. Is it as purple as the pictures above?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Yes! It has a very strong lovely fragrance! The colour is true from my perspective. I'll post pics in a sec.

• Nancy z6b Western Massachusetts
    4 years ago

Hello Bryan,

I bought Quicksilver and Tangerine Skies to grow them together. There is a separate QS discussion going on that you may want to check out - the plant, though a climber, has a tendency to grow straight to the sky, and the canes don't seem to be flexible. I have planted them both side by side.

• Bryan Turner
    4 years ago

Nancy, you say Quicksilver has stiff canes? What about the smell? Also, the color in some pics looks light while others appear dark. Would it be correct to say that it is light lavender?

• Nancy z6b Western Massachusetts
    4 years ago

Bryan,

I can only attest to the stiff canes part. No blooms yet (just got it this summer) so I can't speak to color or fragrance. I do hope it is at least somewhat close to what the marketing materials show - that color is simply amazing.

• Bryan Turner
    4 years ago

I am torn between quicksilver and lavender crush. I need a short climber that is not pink, white, red, or orange. Possibly the last rose I can fit into my garden.

• Mary Voss
    4 years ago

Those of you who have tangerine skies, how do you feel about the rebloom? I am really looking to find some more consistently reblooming climbers. I had a fence with Quadra, stunning when it burst into bloom in the spring, but very sporadic rebloom which was disappointing. They need to come down, are really old. The pictures look good, but this is several years ago. I want to get climbers that rebloom better than this one. I am also looking to do multi colors on the fence. I had a pergola with multi colors that were stunning when it bloomed in the spring, but little rebloom

. Unfortunately we had a winter with sub zero temps for several days and all of these on the pergola bit the dust, so I also want to replant it with better rebloom in mind.

• HU-374415020
    4 years ago

The rebloom is only average. If you want superior rebloom you will need a rose with inferior smaller flowers

• HU-225241159
    2 years ago

Bryan, Clematis mix very well with climbing rose, there are so many varieties to chose from, I think purple color with 5-6 " of flowers ,such as president would adds some soft touch of the contrast effect.

• HU-56684069
    last year
    last modified: last year

GREAT VIEW OF A MATURE TANGERINE SKIES! If you want to have a ‘brief’ review of Tangerine Skies (and a picture of a mature plant on an arbor) then check out a Youtube video from Jessica Sowards at Roots and Refuge Farm. Search for: The FAREWELL Garden Tour (The Garden that Grew Me) | 2021 Garden. You will see the rose at the beginning of the video. I tried to find another video where it is in bloom, but I couldn’t find one easily…Wait! I found a glimpse of some of the blooms in her garden tour titled: FULL Garden Tour- Early June | 2021 Garden. It is on the arch at the entry gate to her garden. It is SO beautiful in bloom! I have ordered 2 roots, because of how beautiful they are on her farm and I am anxiously awaiting their delivery!

• Stephanie Matlock
    last year

I have been trying to find this rose since Jess on Roots and Refuge farm talked about it on her you tube channel. You can see it on this video and it is stunning! https://youtu.be/d5d0qvFskB0

• summercloud -- NC zone 7b
    last year

I think this winter I'd better move my Tangerine Skies. I crammed it in besides a mature hedge of Kateryna and it's been struggling--maybe it's not up for the competition? But I could put a clematis there instead and move Tangerine Skies to my new bed where that azalea is failing...

The Great Garden Reshuffle each year is a lot of fun, isn't it?

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    last year

A few comments ago, Mary Voss asked about the rebloom on TS.

A HU- person responded that the rebloom is only average.

That’s not my experience. TS’ rebloom is much above average in my yard. Which is saying something, since the roses here are like all the children in Lake Wobegon.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

The great garden resuffle lol

Good one Summercloud!

There is always something that needs to move or go altogether.

Then I think do I order something new for that spot or take something from a pot and give it a permanent home ?

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last year

I have a grafted TS its been in a pot. I am deciding where to permanently plant it.

Does anyone think TS would look tacky

climbing a black leafed dwarf Crape Myrtle? Not too Halloweeny? lol

I have one dark leafed Crape Myrtle that has white flowers and one that has pink flowers.."dwarf" here would be about 12-15+ ft lol.

I had a Summer Romance climbing my 15ft dwarf Black Mulberry at my old house and thought it was kinda cool.

I also had an own root TS but it is in a group of 5 bands that I bought to the new farm and the stupid turkeys came and pulled off all the name tags grrr.

Stephanie, I got my grafted TS from Edmunds Roses. I found the rooted band on etsy last spring.

last year

Darn turkeys lol

Yes Sultry that combination sounds beautiful, go for it

• PRO
    DSBC services
    last year

Yes I do it’s a Baby but it’s very Healthy , I’m waiting for her to bloom, I’m so excited

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    last year

I wanted ti chime in and say how much I LOVE Tangerine Skies! I've had it for two years and it's one of my favourite roses in my garden. The blooms are absolutely huge! It's incredibly healthy and blooms almost continually in part sun. I really love the colors of this flower...it's so beautiful. It is about 7 feet tall and I train it on a single post. I like the fact that it isn't a wild grower...very mannerly.

last year

Roselady, that color is spectacular! Im glad that it's doing so well for you.

• PDXRobertZ8
    last year

@Rosylady (PNW zone 8) I just got my Tangerine Skies, and in reviewing comments here on Houzz it seems that it really does top out at about 7'. Has that been your experience? Not a climber in the traditional sense? Does it look like it can stand alone (with no trellis)?

@BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) I just saw your comment here and was considering putting Tangerine Skies with Quicksilver or Lavender Crush. That purple/orange combo is always so pretty!

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Tangerine Skies is very beautiful, but the orange that has caught my eye for the last year is Double Easy Orange, a Carruth rose sold only by J&P. One forum member showed his DDEO photos and video last year, and I hope he shows new photos again this year. Does anyone know much about Double Easy Orange? Sorry about off topic. I just would love some info. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Robert, how about an orange rose bed with some orange perennials to set it off? I am smitten with orange currently. Take a look at Tantau's, Naranga and Capri. Oh, how I'd love to grow those two. Diane

last year

I ended up planting my Tangerine Skies at a gate post in front of our barn. We will see if it gets really tall. If so, I may have to add an arch. Its bedfellows are Fighting Temeraire, Jude, Pat Austin, Rosette Delizy, et al. TS has a lot to live up to. I will probably add some bright orange cosmos, Queenie Orange lime zinnias, Butterfly Clerodendrum/ugandense, Coral Porterweed. That should keep the bees & butterfies busy !

I think TS would look good with the lavender hues of QS. You would have a very tropical vibe with purples and tangerines. LC would look good too. It just depends on if you wanted a darker purple or a lavender. Maybe play with some paint chips/cards from the hardware store..Pinterest is another good place to research color combos. That's what I do lol. I would plant some wild red leafed cannas in a tall bright blue ceramic pot next to them too.

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    last year

Oh my gosh, Diane! Tantau's Capri looks amazing! 😍

Sultry, I hope you share photos later this season of your wonderful orange tones bed.

Robert, keep us updated, too. That color combo would be absolutely lovely.

I had purple poppies with Lady Emma Hamilton last year and hope to repeat the combo. The birds love eating poppy and Cosmo seeds in my garden, so I never know what I'll end up with.

Not the greatest photo...

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Librarian, is your lavender poppy an opium (breadseed) type? I don't have any problem with birds eating my Lauren's Dark Grape poppy seeds. I love that Lady Emma bloom peeking out at us. I had no idea she was so orange--love it. I've wanted Capri for ages. I don't think HMF even has a pic.

Great ideas for an orange--lavender flower bed, Sultry. You know your plants, and they include two I've never heard of. I need educating. Do you have photos of this flower bed? Diane

Lauren's Dark Grape breadseed poppy with clematis Rosemoor in back.

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    last year

Gorgeous, Diane. Yes, the lavender poppy is a bread seebread seed. Completely edible seedsseeds afor humans, and apparently birds too. At least in my garden. Gosh the gr.emlins are active today

• PDXRobertZ8
    last year

Hey @Diane Brakefield I saw the Double Easy Orange Rose as well. It's so lovely! Not a climber, but it's lovely. And to your question, my entire hell strips is orange or shades-of-orange roses (and a couple reds). There I have Voodoo, Easy Does It, Dolly Parton, Living Easy, plus a couple that work there as well--George Burns, Chrysler Imperial (which never looks robust and may get chucked), and Florentina on the light pole. I may add Fragrant Cloud but I don't want those blooms stolen (they smell so good). I had considered putting Tangerine Skies on the light pole originally, but I really wanted Florentina and so I think it will stay there.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    last year

Robert....Yes, Tangerine Skies is staying a mannerly 6-7 feet so far. I feel like it hasn't really "taken off" yet, but even when it does, I don't think it will get more than 8 feet or so.

• PDXRobertZ8
    last year

Thanks for that @Rosylady (PNW zone 8) I did put Tangerine Skies on the utility pole, and I moved Florentina to the south wall of our house last night @Diane Brakefield. My game of rose golf just never ends. Haha!

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

I love the idea of an orange hell strip, Robert. Well done. I don't think I can plant roses in our hell strip. The village plant these godawful trees there, way too big for the strip, and then we have to take care of, and water, those blasted trees. I was interested that you are using Easy Does It in your hell strip. I loved that rose, but it was pretty wimpy in my garden. With your passersby. he may not last long there--sadly. Diane

Easy Does It--a bridge between orange and pink.

• PDXRobertZ8
    last year

@Diane Brakefield I may swap Easy Does It with At Last. The latter is a workhorse and completely disease free in my garden. Might be wise to save the former for inside the gate. :)

• darnikk_vegas_8b
    last year

Hi all… been checking this thread for some time as I planted TS last spring - tiny band but its been pretty vigorous. Of course I have to move it this spring (along with two Florentinas - not looking forward to those thorns) and thinking about how much space TS needs - does it get wide? Also, question for @sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) (I guess we like similar colors) how is Fighting Temeraire for you? Been admiring that one for a while :)

• PDXRobertZ8
    last year

@darnikk_vegas_8b from what I've read, TS only gets about 4' wide, and it is very upright--even without support.

• darnikk_vegas_8b
    last year

Thank you @PDXRobertZ8 that is really helpful. Found a

few photos of mine from last spring… and this was just a band purchased from Stargazer Perenials few months before

last year

@darnikk_vegas_8b, Fighting Temeraire hasnt got large but I had been keeping it in a pot and cut back so it would be easy to move to our new property. I just finally got it into the ground. The blooms are huge open & blousy. Easily bigger than my palm. The colors are oranges and corals. I really like it. I can't wait to see what it can really do now that its in a good spot. There should be a lot of good fertile soil there in front of the barn.

This is the bloom it put out the day I planted it. I probably should have cut the bud off lol.

The blooms have that lit-from-within glow♡

• darnikk_vegas_8b
    last year

Thank you so much for sharing @sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) appreciate it. Very pretty rose! There are not that many pics online and it is always different to see real life pics vs. online sellers. 🙏✨ (sorry all, not to change the subject from TS)

• Olga Shmatkova
    last year

One of my favorite roses! Vigorous, healthy, continuous bloom, survived -15F without cover this winter. It's hard to capture it's true color - it's more orange with some pink as the flower ages. Superior disease resistance!

• Olga Shmatkova
    last year

This picture was taken in August 2022 in Boston, MA zone 6B, grows on trellis gets 8' tall and stays upright without support

• Austin
    last year

Alameda in Texas once said Tangerine Skies was her favorite climber and she is sorry she did not have more of them. . If she is posting hopefully she can clarify; she does not post pictures but is very knowledgable and her recommendations are trustworthy for the South. On her rec I bought TS last fall and placed in a huge pot with square trellis from Gardener Supply.

As I recall, she said it had constant bloom, big flowers, great smells, healthy. That was enough for me. Other climates seem to have different results, as is often the case. Help Me Find verifies the differences. My how the climates can change our success with a variety.

• erasmus_gw
    last year

Tangerine Skies looks like a good one. What about Tahitian Sunset? I have not grown it but on hmf it gets a whole lot of " excellent" votes in many categories. It looks beautiful too.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    last year

Erasmus,

I grow Tahitian Sunset and concur she’s an all around excellent rose. I remember Keith Zary saying it was one of his favorites of his own introductions.

Just Joey can get those coppery orange tones in cool weather too

• erasmus_gw
    last year

Ben,

Looks beautiful but maybe TS is a stronger orange if that's what you want. Your Just Joey is just amazing. I had it long ago but it was not a strong plant. Is yours grafted and if so, on what? I like the blue iris with it. I'd be interested to hear about how you prune your roses. You have such nicely shaped, full plants.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    last year

Erasmus,

I don’t really do anything special about pruning, just kept them 18-30” with stems at least pencil thick. I think just good general care allowed them to support multiple canes and I so use alfalfa tea each spring. That particular Just Joey is on Fortuniana, and I do have some really good bushes on that rootstock. However, I only had one rose , PJPII on both Huey and Fort, and the Huey plant was actually a bit nicer. I guess that’s too small a sample size to be meaningful.

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Ben, I've never seen Just Joey look that good. I've always liked Abbaye de Cluny better, but your JJ is an exception for sure. I wish I could grow roses on Fortuniana here, but I think it's too risky weatherwise.

Olga, what a gorgeous Tangerine Skies. Diane

• erasmus_gw
    last year

Thanks for pruning info , Ben. I don't prune as hard as you do. I let many of my plants get pretty big. I think some might do better pruned harder. I am trying to rejuvenate some old ones that are in decline by pruning hard. Last year tried it on Golden Celebration and it did not bounce back bigger and better than ever last year. However it is looking pretty good this year. This year I am hard pruning The Pilgrim.

So far, after decades , my roses grafted on Fortuniana have been hardy enough down to four degrees in zone 7a, NC. I have a big Fortuniana plant which came through the recent week of hard freezes with no apparent damage. It's the earliest rose to bloom, is covered in buds which went through the freeze, and I'll see soon whether or not they were ruined. But the canes and leaves look great. It's a virus free Fortuniana given to me by the late Vernon Rickard. I would not be surprised if being virus free made it hardier.

• PDXRobertZ8
    9 months ago

My Tangerine Skies has been in the ground since March and it's a non-stop blooming machine. It's only about 2' tall this year total, but it has grown several gorgeous canes/branches and it really seems to never stop blooming. The color is identical to the marketing images. It's absolutely lovely in person and not a bit of disease. I'd buy more if I had the space.

• Diane Brakefield
    9 months ago

Robert, do you have any photos? I finally got a bareroot Double Easy Orange in April. Planted it, and this small rose began blooming in early June and is still at it through our evil 100+F temps. It's growing rapidly, too, but isn't supposed to be a large rose. We need to grow both Tangerine Skies and Double Easy, which I've renamed Orange Julius--haha. Seriously. This is a Carruth rose and he claims no input into the name, though Easy Does It is a parent. I think Little Orange Guy blooms like Julia Child, so in honor of Julia, he's been christened Orange Julius. Now I want Tangerine Skies, but I'm afraid it will be too big for the little space I have available. Also, I love the Kordes rose, Orangerie. It's available in Europe and Australia, but not here, though it has a US patent. What's the matter with these people? Send the US your orange roses. Same for Summer Song. Check Orangerie out on HMF. Diane

• PDXRobertZ8
    9 months ago

Diane, I don't, but I will in the next flush which is probably only a couple of weeks away. Huge HT flowers. Even on a small bush. They glow. And it looks just like the advertisements.

I don't have Double Easy Orange, but I remember chatting about it with you a few months ago. I have Livin' Easy (non stop glowing orange), Dolly Parton, Voodoo, Burst of Joy, and Easy Does It roses in my hell strip which is orange themed (I do have other colors of course). I should add Double Easy Orange too. Easy Does It is stunning, and a non stop bloomer just like Livin' Easy--in fact, they are right next to each other, and if it weren't for the slightly ruffled blooms of Easy Does It, they'd be difficult to tell apart.

I have two wee cuttings of Summer Song. If I'm able to grow them on successfully, I'd be happy to send you one.

• Diane Brakefield
    9 months ago

Here's Double Easy Orange, aka, Orange Julius. Diane

In June:

In July

This rose is only about 3 months old, grown from a bareroot, planted in April.