Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deborahsullinh

Restoration Hardware Sofa: Anyone have one? (particularly the Belgian Classic Roll Arm)

Deborah Sullivan
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I am starting to think about a new sofa. I currently have one of those two cushion sofas, with the chaise lounge on one side that makes it a sectional (from R&B). I've liked the sofa, but I have eventually come to think that it's really a bit too big & clunky for my living room (room is appx 9.5'x15'). The couch is falling apart a bit because the upholstery is a kind of weave fabric (I have dogs), so I am strongly considering a Restoration Hardware sofa slipcovered in Army Duck. I got some samples of the fabric and it seems very tough and that it would hold up to a fair amount of abuse. And it sure would be nice to have the option to wash (or replace!) the slipcovers. I'm kind of in love with their Belgian Classic Roll Arm sofa.

Here's the thing, RH really doesn't have many pictures of their sofas in rooms, so I am having a hard time imagining the size/scale. That's one thing I have to say about Pottery Barn, they have plenty of room pictures so you get a pretty good idea of context. Unfortunately their roll arm sofa (the Carlisle) has horrible reviews. I think I would rather spend a bit more to get something comfortable that will hold up a bit.

Anyway, this is a long-winded question! I am just wondering if anyone has a RH sofa and, if so, how do you like it? Any pictures would be very much welcome! Particularly if the sofa is 6 or 7'.

(I am attaching the one room picture of a the Classic Arm 6' sofa I could find via a google search.)

-Debbie in NH

Comments (198)

• andrewdaly
    6 years ago

Here's a fun game. When your RH sofa arrives, get out a tape measure and see how the dimensions compare to what was advertised. We are on our fourth Ravello two seat slip covered couch and all four have had the exact same dimensions, 6" less long than advertised, 6" less high than advertised and 3" less deep. They save a lot of money on materials this way. Also, as mentioned by someone above, the down is in a fabric bag which is then covered by the slip cover. That fabric bag is made of a crinkly material that makes an annoying sound when you sit on it and feels nothing at all like the sofas on the showroom floor. It's a shame because the sofas in the store are so comfortable. Too bad they aren't capable of reproducing that for customers. On the plus side, they will take their poorly made sofa back for a full refund so it's a waste of time but not money.

• wmsimons85
    6 years ago

I just purchased two Century sofas they were meant to be 84 inches wide. I really hesitated because I wanted one 89-90" so was settling. Mine both measure 80 inches!

I am perusing this because this is not acceptable. If I were you I would do the same with RH.

• noakley85
    6 years ago

I am in love with the RH modena. They have it in an indoor/outdoor Perennials fabric which is acrylic and looks just like linen. They say it is much better than sunbrella. Ok that said, the price tag for the 96" sofa is $4500+ $200 shipping.

I don't think I can buy from them due to the price and their business practices make them so untrustworthy, but am obsessed. Does anyone know of an alternative to this gorgeous sofa?

Thanks once again GWers!

• PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    6 years ago

well, if you want the restoration hardware look for less, please make sure to get a quote from us. we are a family business, making quality custom furniture for over 40 years. your custom sofa or sectional will be made in los angeles, to any size, in any fabric or leather. below are a few examples of our work. we ship nationwide ! ***** BUT IF YOU DON'T LIKE "SLOPPY" LOOKING CUSHIONS, DON'T GET DOWN OR TRILLIUM ;) that's the look. down and synthetic down cushions have a "lived in" / "casual" look. if you like clean lines, we highly recommend our premium high resiliency foam instead.

please CLICK HERE TO REQUEST A QUOTE . we can create the perfect piece for you.

xoxo eva @ MONARCHSOFAS.COM

***CLICK HERE TO VIEW HUNDREDS OF FINISHED CUSTOM SOFA SECTIONAL PROJECTS

KENZIE STYLE - Chesterfield Custom Sectional Sofas · More Info

BELGIQUE TRACK ARM · More Info

SHELTON STYLE - CUSTOM SOFA SECTIONAL · More Info

• Megan Dye
    6 years ago

We just received the two Belgian classic rolled arm sofas (luxe depth) and as the previous reviewers mentioned the dementions are WAY off. I just emailed Customer service about this. We were questioning ourselves about measuring the depth properly. But it is measuring as 41" classic depth. So we'll deal with that. But I just measured the length of both sofas after reading the other comments and the 5' and the 7' both measure 2" short of the advertised length! This is crazy. And as the other reviewers mentioned, the linen feels scratchy compared to the showroom and there is a crickly feel/sound as you move around. It's a shame because I actually like the look of them.

• sberbower
    6 years ago

I fell in love with a deep, linen, slightly camel back sofa at the RH warehouse sale but it was a foot too long. I couldn't, however, get it out of my mind and ended up buying it full price from folks at their display showroom. REALLY dislike what I bought--so sad… First, though I loved the deep, sink in couch I'd originally seen, this one I received is not very comfortable, though I have to admit my teenager and young adult love it! It's simply too, too deep, and I have to put about 4 pillows behind my back to even get comfortable. Second, it was a problem with my ordering. First, I'm one of those "anything-worth-doing-is worth-over-doing" kind of people, so I HAD to get everything down--and it's too heavy and gets smashed down and ends up being hard, not cushy. The sales people told me to simply "fluff the pillows" daily. Egads…these are HEAVY!!!!! So, no, I'm not doing that… Second, instead of regular linen, which I thought would get soiled too easily, I sprung for the more expensive sunbrella/linen weave. It stands up to anything BUT it is not cushy, either. So, I spent about $3800 for a couch I REALLY have no desire to sit on. If I had it to do over (and I don't), I'd go see what they have at Thomasville--might be called West Coast Living. There's one in Huntington Beach. Pricey but so many couches (a) from America; (b) well-constructed sofas; © finally…cushy.

• sberbower
    6 years ago

P.S. It's me again…I correct myself: I bought Perrenial fabric, not sunbrella--regardless, very stiff and not cushy.

• ejoanna35
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Anyone have a review of any of the Crate and Barrel couches?

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    RH pieces tend to be very deep, so I hope you’re tall.
  • Alexandra Evelyn
    6 years ago

My husband and I love the RH belgian slope arm sofa- we would get the standard cushions after reading all these reviews, but I am still nervous from all the posts I read above! I was also told by the sales rep that the perennials tend to "ball-up/pill" more than the regular belgian linen fabric... Does anyone have the belgian linen fabric vs. the perennial performance linen fabric? Also does anyone have the standard fill cushions? Thank you!

• peachmousse
    6 years ago

I had both the Belgian linen and the standard fill. The fabric wore like iron and even held up with three dogs. Did not show dirt. The sofa itself sucked. I hated the standard cushions more than the down. They made a crinkly noise when moving and the back cushions eventually flattened and didn't hold their shape. I wound up sending back and getting the down. Going to look at Crate and Barrel for my next sofa. Buyer beware....

• Alexandra Evelyn
    6 years ago

@peachmousse thanks so much for the feedback!

• PRO
    Chateau Begnaud
    6 years ago
    I love the look of RH furniture, but I’d advise going to Bassett. You can do a custom sofa, with four frame sizes to choose from, and they absolutely stand behind their product.
  • 21bitsy_nyc
    5 years ago

I have a Grand Roll Arm luxe, slipcover version, with down cushions and Flax army duck fabric that I bought in 2013. My cushions are getting creased in the middle because of the depth, which makes sense; and based on comments I should look to a furniture upholstery shop to fix.

I had an issue with the "pink discoloration" on the fabric as well about a year in; an RH replaced the slipcovers without any issue. The same thing happened to my replacements and I realize that it was my use of Febreze (s/p?) that caused the discoloration.

I may replace my slipcovers with a new color from RH, (600-800.), but I'm going to check into getting my slipcovers dyed first because they have really held up to one big dog and regular use.

About 10 years ago I worked at RH p/t and people would bring towels in all the time with the same weird discoloration issue. I also bought the towels and had the same issue, at the time my then teenagers used acne products which cause the problem.

It seems to me that it is a chemical reaction with the dyes they use. I had the same thing happen to towels from Nordstroms.

*Incidentally, RH's wood pieces used to be made in the US (NC), I don't know if it's changed, by Lexington and similar quality furniture manufacturers.

Finally, years ago Crate and Barrel had an outlet in central Jersey that I frequented, and often there were sofas with a similar fabric discoloration.

*I hope this helps someone :)

• Carrie Scott
    5 years ago

Thanks for your message! I have the same issue! Strange pink discoloration also from spot cleaning agents I presume. That said, the fabric has held up really well and I hadn't really considered dying it. Good idea! Currently I just use throw pillows very artfully to cover the small, but noticeable (to me) offenses. One thing: when I looked into getting a new slipcover, RH told me that the covers for my model were discontinued. So, I considered having an upholsterer create new ones but the fabric may not be as "luxe." Thanks again.

• Laura Ross
    4 years ago

We have one and it is supremely comfortable. We got the down cushions with microfiber slipcovers. It is about 15 years old and still in good shape. Except, the back cushions are floppy -- because they are made of soft, floppy down. Very cosy, but am CONSTANTLY having to beat them back into shape to look nice. I would like to replace them with a foam-based insert so they will hold their shape not smush so badly. Anyone know if back cushion replacing an insert is possible? Thnx!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Trip to the upholsterer for a new fill to the back cushiobs! There's no other way

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Old post...2018

• E Evartt
    4 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with RH outdoor furniture? As many posters have said, I love their look but now I’m very concerned about the quality, especially with the price of it.

• michelleraft
    4 years ago

Looking at the modena sofa with chaise. I’ve heard from both good and bad about their sofas. I cant find anything that looks like it and I’m picky details. My first choice would be a poliform sofa but way too pricey. I tried Arhaus but again, like RH look better. Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You are buying a look. One that will not hold up, One that will sag. Help yourself.! For the length of time the RH will look good, or be comfortable? It is I guarantee: "WAY too pricey"

• E Evartt
    4 years ago

Jan Moyer, do you have any experience with the Restoration Hardware outdoor teak furniture? I am wondering if it is actually real teak vs a teak veneer? I love the look and need to do my whole backyard with quite a few pieces.But I wonder if this will hold up or not. Based on experiences of many on this site, I’m afraid it won’t last very long, but I haven’t read anyone’s comments about the outdoor teak pieces. It’s going to be a lot of money to do all the pieces I need and I just don’t know if I can trust that it will last. Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

Gloster teak seating is very good quality and very comfortable. Better than RH for the money. Try also Three birds for outdoor dining furniture

• E Evartt
    4 years ago

Thank you Diana Bier Interiors, I will look those up.

• Lidia
    4 years ago

If you’re going with a catalogue name, go with Arhaus...at least they stand behind their product...colors, sizes, etc. and the. Quality is s. Carolina legit.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

One more thing, you need to purchase Gloster and Three Birds through a retailer. They don’t sell directly to the public.

• printesa
    4 years ago

I have one of RH outdoor teak furniture..it is real teak.

• lamiely
    4 years ago

Michelle did you end up getting the Modena Sofa? How do you like it? I am considering one as well...

• hamlakesan
    3 years ago

would like to reach out to anyone who has purchased the RH Modena Sofa to get current feedback so hoping to reactivate this thread. Please feel free to post picture and your experience on the Modena Sofa particularly interested in the Performance Linen fabric and its performance. thanks.

• HU-112110289
    3 years ago

I have a RH white linen 7 foot rolled arm sofa, 2 seat, down pillowed seats and back pillows that I need to sell. It is in Excellent condition, clean ( I just cleaned it) and I cover it with a sheet when it’s just us. No children, no pets. I am currently washing the slipcovers. This is the second time I have done it. Wash, cold, hang dry. The fabric is strong and durable. Problem, I live in California. I would like $600.00 for it. tjmcfarlin@yahoo.com

Bare couch and with pillows

• Anu Raj
    3 years ago

Hi ..we were considering getting the RH deconstructed sofa in Belgian linen sand fabric. I assume that since this is chesterfield style sofa the sagging or wrinkling wouldn’t be a big problem? Any advice would be much appreciated.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Anu Raj

If you READ the comment just above your question, I fail to understand why you would cling to the idea that ANY of RH upholstery will be ANYTHING other than overpriced junk. If you don't believe it? Proceed.

It. Is. Pure Junk.

• HU-112110289
    3 years ago

Thank you

• Cyndi Fine
    3 years ago

Adrienne Dueck Can you give a link for where you got your sofa? thanks

• HU-903575681
    3 years ago

Anu Raj - we are thinking of buying the same sofa second hand ( in v good condition). Have you sat on the sofa and is it comfortable? We love the look/aesthetic but our only concern is that it’s not going to be very comfortable to lounge on. Any feedback on your experience would be really a helpful. Thanks!

• Melanie Marie
    3 years ago

@JAN MOYER Some recommendations? Just remodeled my home, I'm looking to replace my couches. They are 15yrs old and still look good and kept their shape, but they no longer fit our family size. I have been looking for an L shaped sectional measuring 128x104. I had a designer from Bassett design something for me, but the reviews I've been reading about Bassett are ehh. The sectional is $7k...I'm not doing down. I don't mind spending money, but I also don't want to waste money on garbage. Can you recommend where I can look? I've contacted Monarch, but waiting to hear back.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I've never used Monarch, so I really can't comment on them. I don't use Basset,, RH....PB...

I love Hickory Chair, Taylor King, even CRLaine now and then. I agree it's a dilemma and while 7K is nothing to be sneezed at, ............that's a LOT of seating, and not totally versatile, either.

I'd post an accurate floor plan with EVERY dimension, some pictures, and perhaps you have some options you haven't considered.

• Adrienne Dueck
    3 years ago

Cyndi Fine - sorry I’m just seeing this, I can’t refer back to see what sofa you are asking about? I have a pair of grey chenille/velvet-look Chesterfield sofas from Harvest ($2500 ea, holding up great after 5 yrs heavy use, excellent value) and I have a royal blue velvet sofa that was custom made by Bella Furniture Home in Los Angeles, they took one of their models and added a curved back, based off of a Lee Industries Apartment Sofa I saw, price was about 4K using my own fabric choice I think from Kravet, and it came out to be much less than the Lee sofa. Bella Home did amazing work, it’s super comfortable too. My outdoor sofas are RH Marbella collection in White w standard white cushions. Love love love, if you use covers at night they hold up perfectly.

• Adrienne Dueck
    3 years ago

Cyndi Fine I think the grey Chesterfield sofas were what you were asking about? Here is a link. I got custom fabric through them, I chose the longest model they offered, and I got their bench-seat style comfort seating cushion option I think it was called so it was all one smooth seat cushion. https://shopharvest.com/collections/living-sofas/products/monte-carlo-sofa

• Cyndi Fine
    3 years ago

Adrienne Dueck Thank you!! Yes it was the chesterfield. I am going to check this out. I might be back to ask you more questions :)

• Zechariah Freeborn
    2 years ago

We own the RH track and the deconstructed loveseat, both in Belgian linen. They are about (6) years old. I have a large family, and use white throws to further protect them, but they have held up beautifully well!! The track is cozy enough to sleep on!! ❤️

• housestuffj
    2 years ago

Has anyone purchased the petite size? the height of the back seems oddly short at 28 inches and I wonder how it looks in real life.

• PRO
    Ashleigh Rader Homes
    2 years ago

We have had two RH Belgian Track Arm sofas with the down fill cushions, and they are terrible. The casing surrounding the down is brittle and tore after a year, resulting in feathers poking you constantly. They cushions are poor quality and flatten like nobody's business. The two sofas were ordered at the same time, but the back cushions on one were 6" lower than on the other. Total nightmare, crap quality. Crate and Barrel, MGBW, Cisco Home, Hickory, Lee -- all MUCH BETTER. Steer clear at all costs.

• jbrignolo
    2 years ago

While I can’t speak for the Belgian Track Arm model, I do own 4 RH outdoor sofas, and all 4 are terrible quality, in terms of the cushions. They are badly upholstered, and we also have had problems with inconsistent heights/lengths of some cushions, even though it was all ordered at the same time.
    I love the look of RH furniture, but we’ve been disappointed with the quality (we also have a dining table, matching bench, coffee table, and side tables, and they are terrible quality).

• mmpete
    2 years ago

The pink stains mentioned above that appeared on people's couches after cleaning are caused by a change in the fabric's ph according to this article (see link) which also addresses how to get rid of the pink stains with bicarbonate of soda . I was told recently by someone in the upholstery business, however, that the problem is caused by Scotchgard and that no one should ever use it on upholstery. https://www.cheshire-cleaning.com/how-to-remove-pink-stains-on-upholstery-after-cleaning/

• apayor
    last year

Bought 2 large off white Begian linen 100% down sofas from RH a few yrs ago.. i swear, 1/2 of the feathers are gone- where you ask? All over my family room. Fabric is fantastic but the down sections should have been made with better/dense fabric so feathers can’t push through, or have an additional inner cover. When i take them outside to unzip, my neighbors think I've opened a down pillow to the wind. Would never buy again.

• mmpete
    last year

When my regular (one size up from petite) RH Belgian Track Arm slipcovered bench-seat sofa in laundered Belgian linen, a $6k expenditure, was finally delivered, the skirt was too short and its corners sewn closed with clear plastic fishing line. When I cut the fishing line, the skirt edges were scalloped because the fishing line had been sewn so tightly it had stretched them. Further, the skirt was at least two inches short and bowed on either end, so it was higher in the middle. The entire slipcover was just too small! (I now suspect they'd put a petite size cover on a size small couch.) RH was great when I finally contacted them, realizing the slipcover was not going to relax into the proper size and shape. They had me send photos and, when they saw them, ordered me a new slipcover immediately. In the interim between complaining and getting my new one slipcover, I went back to the local RH to see if I was nuts, i.e., if I had visualized the couch incorrectly. I hadn't. When I returned home, I lifted the bench-style seat to flip it and under it found a bright green tag in the center of the slipcover (not on the bench-seat itself). The green tag said MADE IN CHINA! I was horrified, notified RH of that fact, saying I never would have bought it had I known where it was made. Even my designer was shocked. She's aware everyone has their couches made somewhere overseas but the fact that RH was outsourcing to China truly shocked her. No wonder it took months and months to get here--nine from initial order to completion with its new slipcover. So, my lesson is learned: I need to ask where everything is made before before making a purchase. I'm looking at my couch now as it sits in front of me. It's wearing its new slipcover and, in spite of all the hassle, looks great. I don't know if I'd go through the long wait again, but it's clearly a gorgeous piece of furniture. I bought it in Bisque.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

2018 folks!

• Nono
    3 months ago

I have the belgian slope arm have had it for 8 years and it just keeps getting better ive had a 100# shepherd the whole time and foster dogs in and out id never have anything but leather with or without dogs you cant have any piece of furniture for years and years with cloth upholstery no matter how good the fabric is my leather is so thick and rich it will outlive me gorgeous timeless

slope arm the roll arm is timeless too so go for it but leather